Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,278,564 times

Advertisements

As we've seen, the improvements in technology and computing power specifically has been exponential over the past few decades.......For us ~30 year olds, this is exciting times, because there's a chance we'll see pretty cool stuff before man eventually destroys the earth......

My question for you: How do you think computers and technology will help/change our lives in the next 30 years (realistically and specifically)? What products do you think we'll have in 30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

10,502 posts, read 6,117,412 times
I think most of the things that I remember being predicted 20 or 30 years ago have come into fruition - communication mainly has become so much easier- televisual communication (skype etc) once a pipedream is now commonplace. I'm not sure how much further it can go really - we already have everything.

I think the biggest changes are going to be in how we use energy sources.
The thing I can see being developed is biofuels. I think in 30 years time, we won't be using diesel or petrol (or gasoline as you guys like to call it) but maybe filling up with a biofuel or maybe even plugging your car into a socket to recharge, at what was once a gas station.
I think we may possibly see a reduction in so much travelling by air too, unless they can get a handle on reducing the price of fuel or again developing more environmentally friendly alternatives.

Same with energy around the home. Hopefully energy sources such solar power will be in built to homes instead of being added as an afterthought.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,185,154 times
As a survivor of the 50's, 60's, etc, we've seen some incredible developments. From transistors, to Sputnik, to Curiosity and Opportunity on Mars, and even V-ger, you'll have like experience in the development and application of new technologies.

Take the best technology of your best scifi programming dreams, then jump to the a frame where that is common place. Then think ahead another half century.

I believe in reincarnation just so I can come back to see what's happened.

Good luck. Enjoy.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM

23,559 posts, read 70,077,656 times
I foresee Siri and GoogleVoice and a few others getting into real catfights.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I foresee Siri and GoogleVoice and a few others getting into real catfights.
really?
that's your technology vision 30 years from now?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 PM

12,260 posts, read 24,396,039 times
There is a thread dedicated to discussing what will happen between now and the singularity. Here is a link to that thread:

Why hasn't the Singularity gone mainstream (yet?)

Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,185,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
There is a thread dedicated to discussing what will happen between now and the singularity. Here is a link to that thread:

Why hasn't the Singularity gone mainstream (yet?)
I think the OP was looking for investment advice, not really waiting for the singularity.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM

12,260 posts, read 24,396,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I think the OP was looking for investment advice, not really waiting for the singularity.
Oh ok. When someone asks about the future in the science and technology forum I think of the future of technology IE the singularity.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,439,137 times
Telepathy (with implants)
Self driving cars (duh)
fully immersive VR (will need something since there wont be many jobs left)
Britneybot (and the less often used Bradbot)
More Desal (or moisture farms ala Star Wars)
Solar/Wind power (just need storage!!!)
Skyscraper farms

Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Oh ok. When someone asks about the future in the science and technology forum I think of the future of technology IE the singularity.

Don't listen to Wilsson.....he doesn't know what he's talking about.
I'm the OP and i wasn't at all thinking about 'investment advice'. i was thinking about how 'different' our lives are from 15 years ago....and wanted your guys' view into how things would look in the not so distant future.

Anyways...thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology