U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,464,832 times

Advertisements

Nope and now we have the superfund sites and nuclear waste problem to prove it. Of course the people who created all of this wonderful technology are dead or almost dead so they don't have to think of a way to fix any of it. Prime example: The Gowanus canal in Brooklyn, NY. People messed it up over 100 years ago and now the people living in this time have to come up with the technology and $$$ to fix it because long dead people were selfish.

With that stated, let's go messing with the weather...what could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Have we ever done that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,591,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Nope and now we have the superfund sites and nuclear waste problem to prove it. Of course the people who created all of this wonderful technology are dead or almost dead so they don't have to think of a way to fix any of it. Prime example: The Gowanus canal in Brooklyn, NY. People messed it up over 100 years ago and now the people living in this time have to come up with the technology and $$$ to fix it because long dead people were selfish.

With that stated, let's go messing with the weather...what could possibly go wrong?
Well I think it might be better spent research money than oh, let's say how cow farts affect the atmosphere or shrimp on a treadmill etc,etc,etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM

27,052 posts, read 38,303,229 times
It's a waste of research money. Trying to determine where a tornado is going to form then having the resources available at that location at the time it's needed isn't hard, it's impossible.

Pie-in-the-sky dreaming. It will never happen. Information technology advances notwithstanding (and I'm still trying to figure out what a bunch of programmers are going to do. Stand out in the fields all year and throw computer keyboards at the tornado when it shows up?) there aren't enough people available in our country to have someone waiting at every possible location that might require them and the "equipment" they need to stop a tornado.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,413,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's a waste of research money. Trying to determine where a tornado is going to form then having the resources available at that location at the time it's needed isn't hard, it's impossible.

Pie-in-the-sky dreaming. It will never happen. Information technology advances notwithstanding (and I'm still trying to figure out what a bunch of programmers are going to do. Stand out in the fields all year and throw computer keyboards at the tornado when it shows up?) there aren't enough people available in our country to have someone waiting at every possible location that might require them and the "equipment" they need to stop a tornado.
I hate to use movies as examples but in Star Trek they have weather nets that disperse the tornado as it begins to form. The kind of technology that would be required to acomplish that is currently way beyond us so we need to deal with them the best we can by being as prepared as we can be.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM

2,141 posts, read 2,464,832 times
Nothing wrong with research but the bulk of the money would be better spent creating shelters.

Quote:
Well I think it might be better spent research money than oh, let's say how cow farts affect the atmosphere or shrimp on a treadmill etc,etc,etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Nothing wrong with research but the bulk of the money would be better spent creating shelters.
The tornado that hit Moore, OK brought this to light more than any other in recent memory. There are now a lot of people asking why schools and other public locations are not required to have them.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,591,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I hate to use movies as examples but in Star Trek they have weather nets that disperse the tornado as it begins to form. The kind of technology that would be required to acomplish that is currently way beyond us so we need to deal with them the best we can by being as prepared as we can be.
I wouldn't be bothered about using Star Trek, quite a few things on that show have ended up being made a reality and placed on the market.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:45 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,838,193 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be bothered about using Star Trek, quite a few things on that show have ended up being made a reality and placed on the market.
The fact that it was thought of by Star Trek is not by itself proof that it will work, although obviously some will, just by the laws of chance. To say "I saw it on Star Trek" is a pretty lame prognostication of the future.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:23 AM

16,934 posts, read 51,582,747 times
"To say "I saw it on Star Trek" is a pretty lame prognostication of the future."

I dunno. Shatner's horrible acting was a presage of things to come...

Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"To say "I saw it on Star Trek" is a pretty lame prognostication of the future."

I dunno. Shatner's horrible acting was a presage of things to come...
And it keeps on coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology