U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Volunteer State
1,243 posts, read 893,090 times
Reputation: 2159

Advertisements

I recently read a fiction novel by Steve Berry that presented the idea that there existed a type of "abiotic" crude. Now I understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction, but the author usually points out which parts of his work is fact, theory, or pure bunk. On this topic, he mentioned that there is some speculation that an "abiotic oil" does exist in addition to the "biotic oil" from fossils we generally accept today.

I was wondering if there is any true scientific merit to this theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 AM
 
32 posts, read 30,491 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I recently read a fiction novel by Steve Berry that presented the idea that there existed a type of "abiotic" crude. Now I understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction, but the author usually points out which parts of his work is fact, theory, or pure bunk. On this topic, he mentioned that there is some speculation that an "abiotic oil" does exist in addition to the "biotic oil" from fossils we generally accept today.

I was wondering if there is any true scientific merit to this theory.
Abiotic oil is an archaic, and failed hypothesis, presented by a Soviet chemist during the Soviet era. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, so to went the hypothesis. It has been thoroughly debunked and all but most obtuse crackpots have abandoned the ideal. It never gained acceptance in the West. One of problems with hypothesis is that no predictions can be made from it, hence that renders it into the realm of pseudoscience.

Abiotic oil - RationalWiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Volunteer State
1,243 posts, read 893,090 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
Abiotic oil is an archaic, and failed hypothesis, presented by a Soviet chemist during the Soviet era. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, so to went the hypothesis. It has been thoroughly debunked and all but most obtuse crackpots have abandoned the ideal. It never gained acceptance in the West. One of problems with hypothesis is that no predictions can be made from it, hence that renders it into the realm of pseudoscience.

Abiotic oil - RationalWiki
Thank you for the link. It would be nice to think that oil would be somewhat infinite - or at least we could rely on it long enough to work on bettering alternative energy sources. Berry had mentioned the Soviet link in his novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
 
32 posts, read 30,491 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Thank you for the link. It would be nice to think that oil would be somewhat infinite - or at least we could rely on it long enough to work on bettering alternative energy sources.
With the recent advancements in directional drilling techniques, the US, and other nations(China, Russia... sorry Europe), have a few thousand years of reserves in fields that, only a few years ago, were deemed inaccessible. Of course, those assets will increase atmospheric CO₂ concentrations, but research continues on injection well technologies.

A couple of years ago, a classified Bundeswehr report was leaked to the press. This happened a few months after a similar CIA report was leaked to the press... the future is bleak for those nations without sufficient petroleum reserves.

And that, my friend, is why the USA should NEVER export any of its mineral/petroleum extracts; they are strategic reserves, or they will be some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top