U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Broadly speaking, laptops are content creation devices whereas tablets are content consumption devices.

Tablets are amazing for reading magazines, books, Web pages and watching video.

I work at home and do a lot of writing. If I had to choose one or there the other I would chose a laptop. However, most people use their laptops for content consumption, in which case a tablet might be a better option.

I have both and I use them for different things—but the ratio is definitely not 98:2. Probably closer to 60:40.
You mean that tablets are so much better at reading magazines, books, etc it is actually worth it to have both? Seems like a high price to pay (not just dollars but ilities too, keeping it up, deciding which one to bring, etc) for a very slight marginal benefit.

And when you decide to use a tablet, you're stuck with it the instant you want to create (a post on city data for instance) as you either have to screw around with the dorky keyboard, or get up, fire up the laptop, navigate to the page, and continue on the laptop.

Seems like a hassle to have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd get a tablet that can function as a laptop.
Like I wrote above, how much better is a tablet for consuming content at the expense of essentially not being able to create content easily?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
when I need to just worry about emails.
How often can anybody predict that they won't be doing much writing while they are online to the extent that they can decide they won't need a laptop for the next couple hours?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How often can anybody predict that they won't be doing much writing while they are online to the extent that they can decide they won't need a laptop for the next couple hours?
???
I use my laptop for forms and documents when traveling. I can predict that need.
Again, I plan to keep both the tablet and the laptop. They fit MY needs well.
If your needs are different, use the device you want.

I just sat and watched TV with the wife for a couple of hours. And surfed with my tablet. Very convenient. Wrote a couple of emails, and I think a CD post during that time.
My laptop weighs 8 pounds and would not have been pleasant to have in my lap for that long.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Like I wrote above, how much better is a tablet for consuming content at the expense of essentially not being able to create content easily?
The context in which you use a tablet is one where you're not going to create content. For example, I go on two vacations per month. I use the tablet for reading material and looking up information. I have NO plans to create content. When I'm at the country club waiting for the green, I have no intention of creating content. When I'm riding the subway in NYC, I have no intention of creating content. When I'm cooking, I have no intention of creating content.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,645,283 times
Quote:
You mean that tablets are so much better at reading magazines, books, etc it is actually worth it to have both? Seems like a high price to pay (not just dollars but ilities too, keeping it up, deciding which one to bring, etc) for a very slight marginal benefit.
I admit it is a bit of a luxury to have a laptop, a tablet and a smart phone—and I was skeptical about getting one at first—but now that I have it I love it. If you get a good one, it lasts a long time and keeps a battery charge very well. I have an iPad 2. It looks and works as if it were brand new; it doesn’t have a retina display but feel no need to replace it.

Also, it wouldn’t work nearly as well without iCloud or some similar service. All the content and apps are synced so they can be used interchangeably.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 AM

2,930 posts, read 3,686,779 times
Quote:

And when you decide to use a tablet, you're stuck with it the instant you want to create (a post on city data for instance) as you either have to screw around with the dorky keyboard, or get up, fire up the laptop, navigate to the page, and continue on the laptop.

Seems like a hassle to have both.

Where the tablet shines over the laptop is portability. They are smaller and lighter than a laptop but larger than an smart phone. As for decidingwhich to bring with cloud services like drop box that isn’t as much a deal asyou would expect. The bigger deal is there is internet available where you are going or not(or does you tablet have 4g built in). You don’t need to have built in 4G for thetablet to be useful but it does make a difference in how much you need to store locally on the tablet and there are lot of places with free wi fi and you can tether the tablet to a smart phone in an pinch.

Basically you can listen to or watch music and movies with a tablet or a laptop if they are on the cloud(or stored on the device). You can browse the web, read a book(tablets are able to hold more books than you cancarry). You can check your email and so on. It can’t replace the computer but it is a nice supplement. Also they are fine for typing short messages like the one you typed. The bigger problem is that some web sites(like this one) don't work well with tablets(this one works but with the silk browser hard to click on the smaller items on this site). However this problem is getting rarer and there are lots of site that work well with tablets. I wouldn't want to do an lot of typing with one but that is that.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,580,363 times
Computers = creating

Tablets = viewing

It's the rule of thumb and is good to remember!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,179 times
Heya, I have done a bit of traveling with both laptops and tablets. I use them a lot, so I am pretty familiar with the pros and cons of one platform vs another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Hello, I was thinking about buying a replacement laptop, or getting a tablet. My laptop is only 2 years old, but I did not take very good care of it, hence it's kinda torn up from use.
Your first misstep was getting a laptop that cannot handle repeated use. Not all laptops are created equal.

Quote:
It gets very hot sometimes and after a while, I can't have it on my lap, but I have to put it on something. Right now, I have an hp dv7 6135 dx. I am just worried that it will go out on me soon and I have no way to check it.
I suggest getting a flash drive or an inexpensive external hard drive and backing up all of your music/movies/emails/documents/things-that-you-want-to-keep just in case your laptop dies.

Quote:
I usually just surf the internet and watch videos and listen to music. I thought about getting a tablet, but I heard that you can't watch certain videos on the internet.
That is true. Many videos on youtube are set to not play on mobile devices like tablets. There are ways around this kind of block, but the methods are more trouble than they are worth. Also, some tablets lack the hardware or codecs to play many kinds of media (FLAC or XVid). A laptop can be configured for new formats much more easily.

Quote:
The tablet would be cheaper(galaxy tab 2/note2) or I could get the HP Envy, which has kinda caught my eye, but it would be more expensive. So what do you guys think that I should get? A new laptop or a tablet?
While a tablet is a very nice device to have in lieu of a laptop/desktop computer, it cannot really completely replace one. Even tablets that support wireless mice and keyboards do so in a very cumbersome way. Typing an email on a tablet might not be too much of a problem, but typing a paper, trying to do your taxes, or trying to fill out a web form et. al. quickly becomes more complicated and inconvenient on a tablet.

There is also software to worry about. PC software has been written for a good 30+ years already. Almost all popular commercial software (photoshop, ms office) has free equivalents (gimp, open office) which do not blast you with ads every 7 minutes. You can download these whenever and from wherever you like. Tablet software is built from the ground up with a centralized point of distribution in mind. Most free apps serve ads and read all sorts of personal data from your mobile device (like your contacts, email address, or location).

The solution to your problem is to get a very good quality used laptop. Business models typically tend to hold up better. Spending $200-$400 on a used Lenovo thinkpad would be a wiser investment than $400-$600 on a 10-inch tablet. The main problem you will have with a laptop is that the battery life will not last as long as a tablet, or even a newer laptop.

If you have the money to spend, then you could always look at an ultrabook or something.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 AM

20,893 posts, read 22,663,065 times
Quote:
I don't (yet) see the benefits of a tablet. It just seems like a restrictive laptop without a keyboard. Laptops barely weigh any more, have a keyboad, are completely conventional with all the cheap simple hardward/cable interfaces, hold their position on a table without having to hold it (or use a stand), and have infinite software options.

If there are benefits, are they significant enough to justify owning BOTH a tablet and a laptop? It seems a laptop suffices 98% of the time. Is a tablet's 2% advantage worth it?
I also have both. First of all cost is no longer a prohibitive matter anymore. I've had both for years and at the end of last year added new equipment. I purchased a Lenovo Ultrabook U310 and a Samsung Tab 2 both for less than $500. I also own a iPad. My U310 is used for business because it has software that I need to run, save and print. For long periods its easier to deal with and type into. For business I use my iPad to access emails, surf work related items that I don't need to save, read books on my kill time, use apps, etc. The iPad has a real keyboard (Bluetooth) built into its case. My Tab is used on private time as an accessory to my smartphone and one home use. On errands I use it at doctor visits, inlaw visits, watching movies, etc and its just much easier on the eyes than my smartphone. At home its the remote control for my TV & DVR.

At home I use another Ultrabook made by Acer that has more upper end uses. It takes very little area on its own and I use a HP 27xi monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse. All together is was less than $600.

All in all that's a big drop from the $1800 I paid 10 years ago for a Toshiba laptop that had a swivel screen to turn into a sort of tablet type of computer.

Side note: Win7 laptop had blowout prices last year due to Win8 making them much less expensive. But now you can go into Staples and find Win8 laptops pretty cheap because Win8 is not catching on and now there is a glut of laptops on the market. Now would be the best time to get one before the Fall and Xmas lines come out in late July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or