Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was thinking about buying a replacement laptop, or getting a tablet. My laptop is only 2 years old, but I did not take very good care of it, hence it's kinda torn up from use. It gets very hot sometimes and after a while, I can't have it on my lap, but I have to put it on something. Right now, I have an hp dv7 6135 dx. I am just worried that it will go out on me soon and I have no way to check it. I usually just surf the internet and watch videos and listen to music. I thought about getting a tablet, but I heard that you can't watch certain videos on the internet. The tablet would be cheaper(galaxy tab 2/note2) or I could get the HP Envy, which has kinda caught my eye, but it would be more expensive. So what do you guys think that I should get? A new laptop or a tablet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
If you just want to “surf the internet and watch videos and listen to music” a tablet is a great option.

Most tablets don’t support Flash anymore so you won’t be able to watch Flash-only videos. However, most video sites, like YouTube, NetFlix, etc., also stream in HTML5 it’s not a problem.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Hello, I was thinking about buying a replacement laptop, or getting a tablet. My laptop is only 2 years old, but I did not take very good care of it, hence it's kinda torn up from use. It gets very hot sometimes and after a while, I can't have it on my lap, but I have to put it on something. Right now, I have an hp dv7 6135 dx. I am just worried that it will go out on me soon and I have no way to check it. I usually just surf the internet and watch videos and listen to music. I thought about getting a tablet, but I heard that you can't watch certain videos on the internet. The tablet would be cheaper(galaxy tab 2/note2) or I could get the HP Envy, which has kinda caught my eye, but it would be more expensive. So what do you guys think that I should get? A new laptop or a tablet?
If you want to listen to music, watch videos, play games, read e-books and surf the internet than the tablet is a great option. If you want it for business or school projects a laptop is better. Although, there are tablets for that as well but they tend to cost around $1,000 even though they hold far less memory and ram than laptops.

I currently own a laptop and have Barnes and Nobles first generation NOOK so it's easy for me to go with the laptop. However, I do plan to buy a tablet later this year and I'm looking at Google's Nexus 7, the 16GB one is only $199 ($249 for 32GB), but I'm waiting until July or August since the second generation is coming out.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
If you just want to “surf the internet and watch videos and listen to music” a tablet is a great option.

Most tablets don’t support Flash anymore so you won’t be able to watch Flash-only videos. However, most video sites, like YouTube, NetFlix, etc., also stream in HTML5 it’s not a problem.
Just to clarify, windows 7/8 tablets do support flash. Consider something like the thinkpad helix which can function as either a laptop or tablet.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
When watching videos does screen size matter? If you want something in the middle of the two then look at Ultrabooks (the Lenovo seems to be built the best).

Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM

The Lenovo thinkpad ultrabooks are the X1 Carbon and X1 Carbon Touch. They have a 14"screen in the chassis of a typical 13 laptop (MacBook air)

Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I don't (yet) see the benefits of a tablet. It just seems like a restrictive laptop without a keyboard. Laptops barely weigh any more, have a keyboad, are completely conventional with all the cheap simple hardward/cable interfaces, hold their position on a table without having to hold it (or use a stand), and have infinite software options.

If there are benefits, are they significant enough to justify owning BOTH a tablet and a laptop? It seems a laptop suffices 98% of the time. Is a tablet's 2% advantage worth it?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't (yet) see the benefits of a tablet. It just seems like a restrictive laptop without a keyboard. Laptops barely weigh any more, have a keyboad, are completely conventional with all the cheap simple hardward/cable interfaces, hold their position on a table without having to hold it (or use a stand), and have infinite software options.

If there are benefits, are they significant enough to justify owning BOTH a tablet and a laptop? It seems a laptop suffices 98% of the time. Is a tablet's 2% advantage worth it?
I own both.
I won't get rid of one over the other.
I have less than $200 in my Xoom, and my laptop would probably sell on Craigslist or EBay for about the same.

I don't use either for "heavy" computing, video rendering, etc. That is done on a desktop.

My laptop travels when I need to handle a lot of forms.
My tablet goes to seminars/meetings for note-taking and travels when I need to just worry about emails. The virtual keyboard is just fine, after about a 60 minute learning shakedown cruise.

I like them both very much for their purposes.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't own both just for the sake of having the functionality of both. I'd get a tablet that can function as a laptop. There's a lot of time when I'd prefer just to have a tablet over a laptop.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:

Broadly speaking, laptops are content creation devices whereas tablets are content consumption devices.

Tablets are amazing for reading magazines, books, Web pages and watching video.

I work at home and do a lot of writing. If I had to choose one or there the other I would chose a laptop. However, most people use their laptops for content consumption, in which case a tablet might be a better option.

I have both and I use them for different things—but the ratio is definitely not 98:2. Probably closer to 60:40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology