U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times

Advertisements

I have lived on several private streets that are on Google Streetview. In most municipalities, a "private street" might only mean that the municipality doesn't assume any responsibility for maintenance, snow clearing, etc, it is still open for public use.

A dead end street might be private, but unless it is gated or otherwise closed, the general public has a right to drive into it at will.

A through street is never private unless the owner obstructs the entry at one end or the other. If you build a drivable road through your property, it is lawful for anyone to use it for passage through to the other side, unless you obstruct it in some way.

The parking lot of a shopping mall, even though on private property, is considered a public place where any person can freely drive in, unless blocked.

Here is a privately-owned housing development in Madison, Florida. The street behind the stop sign has been closed off by the owners, to restrict traffic flow within the community. Buy they may, at any time, remove the barrier, and it then becomes a through street that non-residents may use as a shortcut. Google street view includes the street behind the stop sigh.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Safar...338.03,,0,3.37

Last edited by jtur88; 06-23-2013 at 12:08 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,451,194 times
Completely legal. The structures are visible from a public right of way.

Conversely, I always enjoy reading the comments inserted by the North Koreans about their fearless leader on the Google map of Pyongyang, North Korea.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,427 posts, read 32,256,196 times
My city has a bunch of gated neighborhoods. I've never seen one here that is mapped with Google Street View.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Aren't there "street view" type images inside of stores, restaurants, and malls? Aren't those "private" places?
There's a large tech employer here in my city, Rackspace, that has documented the inside of its headquarters on Street View. I'm not sure if they supplied the pictures themselves or invited Google's cameras into the building to document it.

One of the newest enhancements of Google Maps announced at this year's Google IO conference is that Street View will start to weave geo-tagged photos taken inside buildings and posted publicly into Street View. The example they showed at the conference was The Sistine Chapel. The demo scrolled all over the inside of the building, just like Street View, but it was made of publicly-available photos stitched together into the 3-D panorama format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology