U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM

37,069 posts, read 38,273,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post

Maybe an inverter and battery setup would be better for me.
I don't know what kind of time you'll get out of it but a single battery isn't going to last that long if you're running it constantly. There is calculators online.

Inverter Calculator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
In the places I've scoped out, it's very hit or miss if I could get a close-enough space, or be able to idle the car enough to run equipment without creating an issue from exhaust fumes.

But with all the good info you fellas have given me, I've been reading and googling and it looks like I can get a decent sine wave inverter and battery and battery charger for the biz all for less than $500, and probably under $350. That's great!

I really appreciate all the help I've gotten. Thank you all so much!
It isn't that simple. Lead acid batteries are destroyed if run to less than 50% capacity even a couple of times. A high current application with some regular use over a four hour period would require about eight or more golf cart batteries. Car batteries don't work because the plate design is for SHORT high amp discharge.

If you are insistent on using electric, about the only practical solution would be one of the super-quiet Honda or Honda clone generators. Even then, you still have to deal with the exhaust.

Many of the old antique grindstones took advantage of the flywheel effect of the moving mass of sandstone or whatever rock was used. That allowed intermittent bearing down while inputting a relatively small constant amount of energy.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,573,224 times
shoot.

Just when I think I've got a simple, elegant, inexpensive, easily purchase-able & portable solution, it turns out I was wrong.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Been there. Sorry.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,573,224 times
I guess I'll just buy a 1-mile extension cord.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
You do not need a powered grinder for this job. It would remove too much metal too quickly as well as over heat a tempered edge and soften the steel. As you have seen powering one is also a problem. At most a battery powered angle grinder with a medium wheel is all that is needed to shape chipped blades or axes. With a proper set up a fine wheel on a small battery powered grinder can be used to sharpen sheers and scissors. They are a bit trickier than simple blades.

Get a sturdy workbench, a shallow plastic pan and a set of diamond honing "stones" (DMT Inc IIRC look them up on Google) along with a few jugs of water for cleaning the stones. Don’t forget some kind of shelter and a chair or two.

Using a set of course, medium, fine and some polishing cloth I could easily sharpen a dozen kitchen knives in an hour even if they were terminally dull. Smaller knives like Swiss Army pocket knives take even less time.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM

37,069 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You do not need a powered grinder for this job. It would remove too much metal too quickly as well as over heat a tempered edge and soften the steel.

They make grinders for more delicate material, fine grain wet stones with clamps for holding the blade.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I know thwere are a lot of electric powered knife sharpening machines out there. I was trying to make the point that given a set of good sharpening stones they are not needed. I keep my knives razor sharp with little more than a couple of stones, a piece of red crocus cloth (ultra fine abrasive cloth) on a stick and a leather strop.

OP - I suggest starting out sharpening by hand and only buying the powered tools as you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology