U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,926,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallstar View Post
oil lobby kills this in 5....4....3....2......boom!
lol!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,958,169 times
Lets try and implement better rail transit before we can even think about hyper loops. America is so far behind when it comes to mass transit across the country. Lets be realistic, there is only a handful of US cities that even have great transportation.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Lets try and implement better rail transit before we can even think about hyper loops. America is so far behind when it comes to mass transit across the country. Lets be realistic, there is only a handful of US cities that even have great transportation.
That makes no sense. If this is "REAL" and Hyperloop will actually work "AS ADVERTISED" then that means Hyperloop will cost a 1/10th of the price of building rail transit. AND be much faster and efficient. IF it works, I'd say skip all the trains and go all Hyperloop.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,630,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
That makes no sense. If this is "REAL" and Hyperloop will actually work "AS ADVERTISED" then that means Hyperloop will cost a 1/10th of the price of building rail transit. AND be much faster and efficient. IF it works, I'd say skip all the trains and go all Hyperloop.
True, but it seems the Hyperloop will only cross major national/world cities. There's no point in it if it stops through every city, big or small. We'd still need to improve transportation within certain cities and their metro regions. The Hyperloop idea seems it would connect major world cities with one another, spanning large countries or continents (and apparently oceans?) It doesn't seem like it is designed to make many stops, if any at all between cities.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,958,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Maybe in a hundred years but certainly not now. Lets work on building better infrastructure in cities.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 AM

64 posts, read 86,644 times
I believe the technology to do this in my lifetime will be available (i'm 31). But I don't believe I will actually ever see it built anywhere in North America. Just my prediction.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:29 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,549,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringOldMike4554 View Post
I believe the technology to do this in my lifetime will be available (i'm 31). But I don't believe I will actually ever see it built anywhere in North America. Just my prediction.
i dont think it will be built anywhere, Too many hurdles. The travel a speed that land on land would raise many safety concerns. What if an earthquake happened? What if someone decided to climb on the track. They say its a tenth of the cost of rail but I doubt that. Land the build on in US major cities is expense. 3 miles of Light rail track in Seattle is 3 billion dollars! It would take a long time to build and how much energy is it using? It can only fit a few people at a time. An idea like that is good in theory but we don't have the means of infrastructure to build something like that. Lets focus on cleaner and more efficient transit of the State levels before we even think about this. I dont even think Europe or Asia would really want this, Ok maybe China.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
True, but it seems the Hyperloop will only cross major national/world cities. There's no point in it if it stops through every city, big or small. We'd still need to improve transportation within certain cities and their metro regions. The Hyperloop idea seems it would connect major world cities with one another, spanning large countries or continents (and apparently oceans?) It doesn't seem like it is designed to make many stops, if any at all between cities.
Then you've misunderstood...

By them saying it can make a trip from NY to LA isn't to imply that it will only go places like NY, LA, Shanghai, San Fran, Paris and so on... It is 100% simply a 5th mode of travel, cheaper than building roads, which means it will be able to go also to cities like San Diego, Atlanta, Austin, Salt Lake City, even places like Oceanside CA, Savannah GA, Trenton NJ, Santa Fe NM, and even outer cities like Carlsbad CA, Scottsdale AZ, Covington KY, Port Author TX, Columbia MD, etc...

It might take another 100 years to get it there, but you have to start somewhere in order to make that a reality...
The total vision comes from a 200 year old vision that scientists have been working on to build a massive web network of these hyperloop tunnels all over the place. It's really supposed to be kind of like the Jetsons, where they are whisked in and out of buildings through those little tubes. It's kind of like that. But if it is ever to get there, it has to start somewhere with a first line... Which would be the lines connecting the major cities first, obviously.

Of course, all this is under the speculation that his "invention" really works as the 200 year old vision wants it to

Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringOldMike4554 View Post
I unfortunately can agree with that. Sad but probably true...

I watched a video from an Engineering student that claims that we already have all of the technologies necessary to do these futuristic ideas, but that the big part is figuring out how to put them together. And that once someone does, we are off into the future. If that's true, and there are no scientific breakthroughs needed to pull this off, then I don't see why people are already so skeptical and would look at this as a waste of money.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maybe in a hundred years but certainly not now. Lets work on building better infrastructure in cities.
That's ridiculous...

"Building better infrastructure" is a NEVER ENDING battle... Erosion, deterioration, weather damage... That's why roads and rails are FOREVER being worked on. AND is costly.
If you say "great, we can make Hyperloop AND for cheaper, BUUUUUUUT.... Let's hold off on that and build better infrastructure FIRST," Then you'll NEVER get to building Hyperloop because you'll never have the money after spending it all on forever building "better infrastructure" while the rest of the world will be using Maglev trains and hyperloop, we'll be happy that at least we finally have some intercity rails like Europe once did...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology