Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 55,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am still waiting on the moving sidewalks talked about in the mid 1950's.

The moving sidewalks are in just about every single major airport in the world and are also in many large malls all over Dubai, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,435 times
TODAY IS AUGUST 12th, AND THE REPORT HAS BEEN RELEASED!!!

LADIES & GENTLEMEN...............................

ELON MUSK's "HYPERLOOP" REPORT:
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/def...loop-alpha.pdf

Elon Musk details 800-mph Hyperloop transportation system | Fox News

Hyperloop | Blog | Tesla Motors

It is pretty amazing... I think he's right, that it can be done!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times
It's amazing to me to read some of the comments on the articles about this. Too many small-minded people scoff at this idea and would rather us devote our time and resources to things like alternative energy development and high speed rail first, completely missing the point that this solution would partially replace our need for them (I say partially, because car travel will always be preferable for shorter distances, so we obviously shouldn't drop alt fuel research).

In my opinion, if governments don't at least conduct feasibility/cost studies for this in comparison to existing high speed rail plans, then that is the peak of human ego and political pork standing in the way of real innovation.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
It's amazing to me to read some of the comments on the articles about this. Too many small-minded people scoff at this idea and would rather us devote our time and resources to things like alternative energy development and high speed rail first, completely missing the point that this solution would partially replace our need for them (I say partially, because car travel will always be preferable for shorter distances, so we obviously shouldn't drop alt fuel research).

In my opinion, if governments don't at least conduct feasibility/cost studies for this in comparison to existing high speed rail plans, then that is the peak of human ego and political pork standing in the way of real innovation.
I could not agree more...

Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
I noticed he dropped all his ideas out there then said it was up to someone else to do it because he "doesn't have the time".

I was hoping he'd explain how it was going to cross the Rockies.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,022 times
I also noticed they stopped talking about NYC <> LA in 45 minutes.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I noticed he dropped all his ideas out there then said it was up to someone else to do it because he "doesn't have the time".

Tek, it looks like the idea is similar to a skytrain, an above ground system. The service initially would run between LA and San Francisco. I'm wondering how well it would hold up during an earthquake, especially in that area.

Hyperloop revealed: Elon Musk foresees rapid transit in a tube - NBC News.com

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:

Night Shift Idea Man - YouTube

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Quote:

I read somewhere (though I can't find it now) that this won't be a system used to cross the country, but rather only certain geographical areas. Mountain ranges was one reason listed why. Also Elon has said that supersonic flight would still be quicker for longer distances such as coast to coast, vs shorter distances where his system would be quicker. But this assumes we actually get viable supersonic passenger flight service again. I'm not holding my breath.

But for certain areas this would be fantastic. Hopefully someone picks it up and pursues making the system a reality.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
While I think its interesting unless it gets commercial backing just like high speed rail its going no where. Even the guy proposing it isn't going any further with it he says. Certainly something to consider if one where thinking of investing money in mass transit over high speed rail. It would eliminate much of the high cost associated with high speed rail over long distances and not tie-up other transport or make noise like rail. Certainly seems once initial cost are meet it could compete with airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology