U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 PM

167 posts, read 292,026 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated with time travel, especially in the philosophical and psychological sense. So, I've decided to ask a few questions on time travel and my goal in asking these questions is to generate a thoughtful and interesting discussion. I think I can speak for many people when I say I would love to you everyone's ideas on space travel.

To clear up any confusion, time travel is the ability to travel through time by being able to manipulate time.

Feel free to answer all the questions or just questions you wish to choose to answer.

1. Is time travel possible?

2. If time travel is possible, would you go backward in time or forward?

a. Which specific period or era would you travel to and why?

b. If you go backward in time, would you change pieces of human history?

c. If you go forward in time, what do you hopefully expect to see?

3. Would it be moral for humans to travel through space as they choose?

4. Is it healthy for the human mind to travel back in time due to a longing sense of nostalgia?

5. Would we be destroying the laws of physics and nature if we could manipulate time to our choosing?

I look forward to what everyone has to say regarding this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,264,056 times
1. Yes
2. Both
a. I'd like to watch the 1972 Olympic Basketball Final in person
b. I'd point out to the timekeeper he made a big mistake
c. The winning lottery numbers
3. Is it immoral?
4. Why wouldn't it be?
5. I don't know.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 PM

167 posts, read 292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
b. I'd point out to the timekeeper he made a big mistake
Thank you for your answers. There is a time keeper? Who is it? Why do you think he made a big mistake?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:12 PM

26,911 posts, read 38,161,464 times
5. I think that instead of time and nature being destroyed, it would more likely be the time traveler.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,434,358 times
1. Yes.
2. Forward at a slower pace than everyone else.

You can't go back in time but you could slow time's moving forward down for the traveler. In effect it would look like you went back in time given enough time to pass by but you're not going to be going into the past anytime past when you created, and used, the machine that would bring you as close as possible to the speed of light. Take note the speed of light is like absolute zero, it would take a machine the size of the universe to achieve it.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM

7,145 posts, read 5,953,480 times
I'd say time travel does not exist, and that time is more a mental perception than anything.. it exists because we believe it to exist.. when we look into the stars we can say we are looking 'back in time' because light travels at 186,200 miles per second, but it's all a mind game... whether time slows as we speed up is a matter for debate, but could we go back in time if we exceeded the speed of light? We simply don't have the technological means to achieve this yet even if proven to be true.... if time slows so we spend 20 years going half the speed of light that means when we get back earth would have aged 40 years? That's not what I would call time travel per say... our bodies still age.. could we go back in time and 'meet ourselves' .. unlikely.... but who knows... personally I can think of better ways of spending my time. : )

Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,264,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
Thank you for your answers. There is a time keeper? Who is it? Why do you think he made a big mistake?

1972 Olympic Gold Medal Basketball Game (USSR vs. USA) - YouTube

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,166,203 times
1. Don't know if it is possible to achieve with the technology we have right now.
2. I would go forward.
a. Don't know how far to travel since I'm not sure about our ability to not extinguish ourselves.
b. If I, by chance chose to go backward, I would only attempt to change the circumstances of my life.
c. I would hope in the future that we had by then made many noble accomplishments. Space travel for the masses would be one thing I would very much like to see happen, along with interstellar travel.
3. Why would it be immoral? Same as when the explorers set sail upon the ocean. A new frontier to explore.
4. Nothing wrong with reminiscing.
5. Not sure about any sort of destruction of the laws of physics, or nature since no one has been down that road yet to determine the effects of anything such as that. I don't see manipulating time, anyway. It might be more likely we would discover a way "around " the rules of time. I would see time continuing in one direction, and if time travel becomes a reality, we would simply ply the current, either forward, or backward. It is too strong a force to manipulate.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,067,986 times
Default Tick-Tock, or was it Tock-Tick? Unfortunately, both cases go "BANG"!!

Well, there are at least two major technical conundra with any direction of time travel.

1) If you go backwards and change pretty much anything that is in potentially within your sphere of interest or past life (for instance, your particularly loathsome uncle... who you manage to toss in front of a bus before you "split" again...), you might very well disappear because he never then married the person that intro'd her sister to your future father, and so on..

Or....

2) If you go forwards, look about and then return to perhaps kill off or significantly "reduce" a potential future Hitler or Osama-bin-Laden type you learned about in the future, for example, why would we not be seeing all the other Good Samaritan time travelers, post TT-invention, who would then subsequently utilize such technology to come back to our current era.

So where are they? Why have we NEVER seen them? Crowds of them, even if i's just the guys who want to see some v. special World Series game? Or the International World of Amateur Curling championships from 1986?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 AM

455 posts, read 733,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd say time travel does not exist, and that time is more a mental perception than anything.. it exists because we believe it to exist.. when we look into the stars we can say we are looking 'back in time' because light travels at 186,200 miles per second, but it's all a mind game... whether time slows as we speed up is a matter for debate, but could we go back in time if we exceeded the speed of light? We simply don't have the technological means to achieve this yet even if proven to be true.... if time slows so we spend 20 years going half the speed of light that means when we get back earth would have aged 40 years? That's not what I would call time travel per say... our bodies still age.. could we go back in time and 'meet ourselves' .. unlikely.... but who knows... personally I can think of better ways of spending my time. : )
I agree.
I personally can't accept time travel in the popular sense. People tend to think that we could "go back" in time and see things that have happened and people that have existed, but if that were possible, then these people and places would have to reconstitute from dust and come back from the dead, then do all the same things over again. If that isn't acceptable, then it would have to be acceptable that things don't change, or that there are multiple "timelines" where every choice creates a new path... but even then, that would require the belief that every time you make a choice... your body replicates? Where does it go? I don't think biology allows for this. And even if it did, those copies would still change, die, move on. So if you could go back, you'd still have to undo all of that somehow.

Maybe I'm too Newtonian about this whole thing, but I don't think you can build a machine to reverse the flow of physical change. And if you did, you'd just undo all your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology