U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I LOVED that watch. I can not remember numbers so had all my phone numbers programmed and it felt SO cool to wear it. Unfortunately I hate watches and lost two of them by taking them off and forgetting I had when when I left. Do not like bracelets OR watches.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM

904 posts, read 813,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Perk coffe pots obsolete?

You gotta be kidding me... I guess that technology is too complicated for hipsters and Gen X kiddies...

Not at all! I have a perk and a keurig...the keurig i use for daily use, but when we have people over, pull out the "old" coffee pot. It makes superior coffee IMO...

Old 07-28-2013, 09:30 PM

774 posts, read 1,358,169 times
I like the nostalgia aspect of percolators since my parents had one when I was a little kid.

But there's no way it makes superior coffee, since it sends already-brewed coffee back through the grounds over and over. French press makes the best, especially if you know how to use it.

However I use drip coffee makers, and the simplest one is the most primitive.

Makes real coffee by the cup and costs only five dollars!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What's wrong with landlines? Personally I think there's something nice about having one.
I am the same way. Never answer my cell when home or give it out to people I don't personally know. They can leave a message on voice mail .

Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
The peace and quiet in the house after dinner ever since I cancelled my landline...

After I dumped the landline I came across this prank and sure wished I could have done it on one of those telephone marketeers....

Phone Salesmen Prank - YouTube

Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 AM

12,986 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think the Google glasses will overtake them.
For the life of me, I can't see why people are so excited about Google glasses. Like we need even more ways to totally disconnect from the world and be distracted in everything we do. Already studies are pointing out how being constantly connected to technology is rewiring children's brains. Try holding a conversation with anyone under 25 without them constantly interrupting to text or talk to someone on their phone. At some point, something's got to give. It almost makes me want to get off the grid.

Last edited by katygirl68; 08-07-2013 at 12:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 AM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
We still use faxes. they are legal copies. Emails are not.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 AM

12,986 posts, read 5,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We still use faxes. they are legal copies. Emails are not.
I was going to point that out too. The courts in Texas will only accept fax confirmation, hand-delivery, or certified mail, return receipt requested, as proof of proper service. Emails are not acceptable because there is no way to prove they opened their email or even received it.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
12 Obsolete Technologies Americans Still Use

The one that irritates me most is fax machines. Usually it's some old (or young) lady on the phone demanding that I fax something. I haven't owned a fax in nearly 20 years FFS! Ditsy secretary types (also a vanishing breed, god willing) like them because they can punch in a phone number and feed in a sheet of paper. Less challenging than that newfangled email thing!
Faxing is FAR from obsolete.

1. Faxes are more reliable than email. Despite the SMTP protocol itself being very robust, spam filters, misconfigured MTAs and user error lead to quite a lot of email simply disappearing into the ether or being deleted without being read. With a fax, you get a confirmation that tells you definitively whether the receiving machine did or did not get the image.

2. Faxes require less hardware than email. If you want a physical copy of something sent by email, you have to have a computer, an internet connection, an email account and a printer to make that happen. You can receive a fax virtually anywhere, without a single piece of technology on your person. Hotels, gas stations, and most other businesses (if you're nice enough) will receive a fax for you.

3. Faxes are more secure than email. As another poster said, email is about as insecure as it gets. I can't believe how many of my customers send me their credit card numbers by email, even after I tell them not to. The SMTP protocol (which is how email software/servers communicate with other email software/servers) is a plain text protocol. Nothing you send by email is encrypted in any way as it crosses the wire, unless you encrypt the body of the email yourself.

Both technologies have their place. Email can effectively replace a faxing for many things, but it is not an appropriate replacement in every situation.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,271,057 times
Vinyl records and wristwatches are awesome. I've used pay phones when I accidentally left my phone at home, or run out of battery. Admittedly only 3 times or so.

You might include road atlases here, another thing I use all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology