U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM

774 posts, read 1,360,091 times

Advertisements

12 Obsolete Technologies Americans Still Use

The one that irritates me most is fax machines. Usually it's some old (or young) lady on the phone demanding that I fax something. I haven't owned a fax in nearly 20 years FFS! Ditsy secretary types (also a vanishing breed, god willing) like them because they can punch in a phone number and feed in a sheet of paper. Less challenging than that newfangled email thing!

Landline telephones aren't far behind. Yes I know some people love them but really... 1890s tech??

I'm kinda on the fence about vinyl records
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,422 posts, read 32,243,883 times
I'd rather FAX personal information than email it. If you've ever seen the output of a packet sniffer, you know that email is not secure at all.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM

32 posts, read 30,459 times
Even though, and in spite of, I am ArcGIS certified, I still use an abney level for field work.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,267,133 times
Wristwatches
Newspapers
[Just trying to think what's in my 90 year old parents' home]
Coffee percolators
Non, nonstick cooking ware

Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM

16,869 posts, read 51,398,709 times
Guess what, I still use the WHEEL!!! Yeah, I know that it is obsolete technology, what with magnetic levitation and sound wave levitation, but I'm not an early adopter.

Puff piece article. I can't reliably get FTP over the satellite, so that means if I want to update my website I have to use a landline phone and dialup modem. Therein lies one of the problems with modern technology - it often isn't as reliable as the old stuff. Deal with it.

Microsoft works to make older software not work on newer operating systems. It is a business model. Keeping an old computer around allows me to do some things I can't on newer ones. Deal with it.

Dot matrix printers. For certain applications, they are the fastest and most reliable for the job. Ever try to find a fast laser or ink jet that takes tractor feed paper or has no problems with banners? If you are using reams of paper, tractor feed allows you to avoid the inevitable jams that crash the line. Deal with it.

Vinyl records and cassette tapes will FAR outlast a DVD or Blueray disk. If you still want to see the pics of grandmas wedding, don't toss that VCR tape after converting it to DVD. Deal with it.

Uppity early adopters. More money than brains.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Some of this technology will be outdated soon but its not yet. Some examples are the newspaper, fax machine, landline telephones, and dot matrix printers.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,745,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I rescind an earlier post I made in a different thread.

This is the dumbest comment ever on City Data.

You could post that in almost ANY thread on CD.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM

32 posts, read 30,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Therein lies one of the problems with modern technology - it often isn't as reliable as the old stuff. Deal with it.
Many students, doing field work, happily display their current accelerometer enabled apps on their cell phones... and they are cool, but...

Field work being what it is(12 of the last 48 hours raining... miles away from any electric source other than the vehicle whose alternator gave out putting you in this position), you rely on your trusty pocket transit and gather the needed data.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,278,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Wristwatches
They're likely not going away anytime soon:

Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
They're likely not going away anytime soon:
I think the Google glasses will overtake them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology