U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM

4,994 posts, read 7,793,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Agreed. It's just logic 101. You can interchange the word simulation with sandwich and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

"The argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before eating a sandwich; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run out of sandwiches; (3) we are almost certainly eating as sandwich. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who eat sandwiches is false, unless we are currently eating a sandwich. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed."
^ LOL! Good point. To me, it seems that Nick's limiting the propositions to just three might be too limited which would provide a certain degree of personal bias rather than an open scientific inquiry. While the Simulation Hypothesis is just another one put on the table to explain the origin of the universe, and consequently a proposal as to the nature of reality, it's not something considered very likely. Nick himself considers the likelihood that we are living in a simulation as being pretty low, by his own reckoning at less that 50% and closer to perhaps a 20% chance.

That said, if the Simulation Hypothesis is to be considered as a sound alternative reason for the existence of the universe and reality, then perhaps the view of the Beatles should also be given consideration as a viable alternative... "We all live in a yellow submarine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 AM

8,567 posts, read 9,372,143 times
I had a hard time following the guy in what seemed to be a less than cohesive rambling. Or my own lack of interest. However, it does remind me that about 1954 (+/-) a few moons, we had our first TV. A big box RCA. My TV today is a big screen RCA. I was six, my family had been out of country, just returned so I had no idea what a TV really was. But to continue, watching that big box, I asked my mom if she thought we might be living in a TV program and someone was watching us.

I've since grown out of that curiosity but if it were true, there would be some awesome script writers to keep this thing going for so long.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I had a hard time following the guy in what seemed to be a less than cohesive rambling. Or my own lack of interest.
I agree. He doesn't really seem to excel as a good or clear speaker. Admittedly, there are some pretty weird, astonishing and complex parts of existence that give a whole different meaning to what we ordinarily perceive in our day to day lives as to what reality is, but it doesn't require being a simulation. The Simulation Hypothesis seems to imply, without evidence other than a wild notion, that everything by necessity must be artificial.

I didn't look at all the references Nick listed, but some of the first ones that did catch my eye were specifically related to philosophy and were authored by himself.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM

167 posts, read 293,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I agree. He doesn't really seem to excel as a good or clear speaker.
What do you mean by that?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
What do you mean by that?
Same reason as Willsson.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM

2,663 posts, read 1,393,879 times
original state of existence

Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,369,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
There is an argument known as the simulation hypothesis that claims that we are living in a giant simulation, like what The Matrix touches on.
Imho, what Matrix was suggesting, wasn't so far in the future. For all we know, they were referring to our current -typically- ignorant, borderline droned/zombified, eagerly obedient public as the sleeping energy sources where the overly controlling and taxing governments out only for their own good and existence as the evil machines!

Quote:
Could we be all living in a simulation?
If you consider the above scenario to be applicable then we already are. In the sense of living in a true simulation type environment, my question would be, what difference would it make to any one if we had no control over it or any means to do anything about it?

Just knowing you are living in a simulation but not being able to do anything about it is not much different than telling someone that they will, one day, die for certain. Eh, so?

Me thinks, this type of discussion is nothing more than a waste of time unless you really enjoy spending time thinking or talking about such topics. With the right company, why not!

Quote:

If so, what would you want to say to the simulator?
Do you validate parking?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

3,007 posts, read 4,895,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Imho, what Matrix was suggesting, wasn't so far in the future. For all we know, they were referring to our current -typically- ignorant, borderline droned/zombified, eagerly obedient public as the sleeping energy sources where the overly controlling and taxing governments out only for their own good and existence as the evil machines!

If you consider the above scenario to be applicable then we already are. In the sense of living in a true simulation type environment, my question would be, what difference would it make to any one if we had no control over it or any means to do anything about it?

Just knowing you are living in a simulation but not being able to do anything about it is not much different than telling someone that they will, one day, die for certain. Eh, so?

Me thinks, this type of discussion is nothing more than a waste of time unless you really enjoy spending time thinking or talking about such topics. With the right company, why not!

Do you validate parking?

That's the thing. If I don't have proof or a viable means of testing that I do live in a simulation (besides a logic game) then I live my life accordingly; or as I would.

IF I do know I live in a simulation, like in the Matrix, then that's a bit different, but also carries a lot of assumptions. Like do I have control of switching between realities. If not, then I live my current life...If I can, then....

I would do a pros/cons list of both realities.

Even though this life is real in our minds, it isn't a utopia.

It would be interesting to talk to a creator, but after we understand that we are in a simulation, at what point then do we stop going "down the rabbit hole?" IF we know it's possible to simulate worlds, then I guess it would be almost infinitely possible to create as many worlds and creators as we wanted.

Do we then "settle" for the "best" world?

----

It sure is interesting to talk about...but I think like religion, things like this are more allegorical, akin to Plato's cave. A device to kindle our inner skeptic and to keep us on our philosophical toes, but really not much else.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,369,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
IF I do know I live in a simulation, like in the Matrix, then that's a bit different, but also carries a lot of assumptions. Like do I have control of switching between realities. If not, then I live my current life...If I can, then....

I would do a pros/cons list of both realities.
In a 100% controlled simulation, you really couldn't because you'd have no way of ending or getting out of the simulation any more than Neo in Matrix had. Remember he had help, he had others tap him out (red pill).

Again, true simulation means character within the simulation could never know they are in a simulation. It would totally sucked to know you are in a simulation but were helpless to do anything about it.

Quote:
Even though this life is real in our minds, it isn't a utopia.
Neither constant pain nor constant pleasure would be ideal, both would become unbearable, eventually.
I sense, the 1% that is running the current simulation know this as well.

Quote:
It would be interesting to talk to a creator, but after we understand that we are in a simulation, at what point then do we stop going "down the rabbit hole?" IF we know it's possible to simulate worlds, then I guess it would be almost infinitely possible to create as many worlds and creators as we wanted.

Do we then "settle" for the "best" world?

----

It sure is interesting to talk about...but I think like religion, things like this are more allegorical, akin to Plato's cave. A device to kindle our inner skeptic and to keep us on our philosophical toes, but really not much else.
Imo, simulations would not typically be created or controlled by the creator(s) but rather by some superior or more dominant species/beings.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 PM

6,328 posts, read 10,531,804 times
Well, isn't this what religious people already believe- that we have been created by someone else for some outside purpose? And that the creator is all knowing and all powerful and we are but insignificant mites? or should I say bits and bytes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology