U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times

Advertisements

If everything is a simulation wouldnt all our self perceived viewpoints also be simulations on par with chess pieces being moved on a chess board, if everything is a simulation every thought you think is for someone or something elses benefit,you arent actually doing the thinking you are just a temporary conduit, kinda makes everything from our perspective rather pointless as we dont exist as individual entities if everything is a simulation..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-23-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
No, I don't believe it. The "simulators" are making way too many obvious and stupid mistakes, for anyone who has that kind of technology at their disposal.

Furthermore, if one assumes the simulation option, one is then forced to continue indefinitely to rationalize the possibilities in the face of apparent contradictions, which is an untenable position.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-25-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times
If we are living in a "simulation", it is so dynamic and so complete that it wouldn't be accurate to even call it a mere "simulation" as we understand the word.

Still, that doesn't mean there isn't an even more "real" reality beyond our own that we are currently incapable of comprehending and various "holes" in our understanding of physics, quantum mechanics or even some so called paranormal events suggest we don't currently have the whole picture.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM

2,651 posts, read 1,382,033 times
well put

Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If we are living in a "simulation", it is so dynamic and so complete that it wouldn't be accurate to even call it a mere "simulation" as we understand the word.

Still, that doesn't mean there isn't an even more "real" reality beyond our own that we are currently incapable of comprehending and various "holes" in our understanding of physics, quantum mechanics or even some so called paranormal events suggest we don't currently have the whole picture.
I believe, that much most of us have known or at least realized thus far! Heck, who knows, perhaps that is the whole point of the so-called "simulation" is to see who will be stimulated enough to search for answers and figure out the puzzle, eventually. After all, if he had the whole picture already, there would be no reason to seek answers, no more motivation or reason for human curiosity.

Life, as we know it, might be no more of an illusion than the romantic love that exists in movies or when you are young.

Whether you believe in a religion with a creator or not, ultimately, life seems like a simulation. I mean, how much of a "free will" or "freedom" do we really have? Think about the control and influence of governments, laws, religion, society, etc. and ask yourself if this is not much more different than being a character in the computer game SIMS. Our freedom or "free will goes as far as I can go or not, if I go, I can take the car, the bus or walk. Monday morning, I can drink a) Coffee b) Alcohol c) Milk d) Water in the morning before going to work. Well, b would probably get me fired or get me a DIU, c would give me gas, d is OK but doesn't help me wake up or get a surge I need....so I will stick with a "coffee". Tuesday morning, ... lol

Who knows, may be our lives or not that different than living in a simulation?

Knowledge by itself is meaningless, knowing the answer to this wouldn't mean squat. It all boils down to what you do, what you can with that information.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
I am not sure if I believe that we are living in a simulation, although in time I would like to make up my own once we have the technology, I did come across this so I thought I would post it here.

I will say they make a interesting argument but just because other societies have developed simulations does not mean we are in one. Just as other universes were developed, the so called natural way, so could of this one. Even if we cant now fully test if we are in a simulation or not I do think in time with the right technology we will be able to and I do want to know.

This is from the Huffington Post:

Physicists have devised a new experiment to test if the universe is a computer. A philosophical thought experiment has long held that it is more likely than not that we're living inside a machine. The theory basically goes that any civilisation which could evolve to a 'post-human' stage would almost certainly learn to run simulations on the scale of a universe. And that given the size of reality - billions of worlds, around billions of suns - it is fairly likely that if this is possible, it has already happened.

The link: Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation

Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
I have been giving this some thought and the amount of processing capability a computer would have to run a simulation that would run a simulation that would run a simulation that would run a simulation is so much that I am not sure it would ever be possible no matter how advanced the civilization would be. Once I looked at it this way I came to the conclusion that I do not think we are living in a simulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology