Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times

Advertisements

This is too cool.....

Quote:
Artist Nickolay Lamm, a blogger for MyDeals.com, decided to shed some light on the subject. He created visualizations that imagine the size, shape, and color of wi-fi signals were they visible to the human eye.
Here's What Wi-Fi Would Look Like If We Could See It | Motherboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Obviously, he hasn't got an EE degree. If my dad was around, he'd be howling with laughter.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
A similar graphic could have been made 100 years ago with amplitude modulated radio carriers or frequency modulated radio carriers in the 1940s.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Radio transmissions, TV transmissions, micro-wave repeaters, micro-wave enabled building alarms, cellphone repeater towers, EMS repeater towers. There is a wide array of bandwidths that blanket much of our nation with RF energy radiation.

Wi-fi is relatively short-range. You set one up in your home, and your really doing good to get signal outside in your back yard. Some people can manage to get signal from their neighbor's home, others can not.

I do not see anything to be alarmed about with wi-fi. Not any more so than 20 years ago with the fact that there is a lot of RF radiation that we are bathing ourselves with.

The images are interesting, in showing the DC 'mall'. Are there actually wi-fi repeaters outdoors through-out DC?

Typical routers, if placed outdoors can only project signal 300+/- feet. As the article mentions they would need to be hung on every :... trees, buildings, lamp posts and other structures" to cover that entire area.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Obviously, he hasn't got an EE degree. If my dad was around, he'd be howling with laughter.
I'm sure SHE would be very interested in a conversation with you instead of demeaning HER behind HER back...

Here's HER email and Twitter addresses:

email: meghanneal@gmail.com

twitter: @meghanneal

Please let us know how your conversation turns out...

Obviously you have met men whose first names are Meghan...

Ewwww

Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 PM

I have neither the time nor inclination to assist someone who was paid to write an article without some sort of remuneration. It is incumbent upon an author, and not the reader, to verify sources so that the author doesn't look foolish. And last time I checked, gender didn't matter to the propagation of RF.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
This.

Heck, even a very basic understanding of electromagnetic radiation would dispel any notion that this is anything more than artsy nonsense.

It seems like a lot of effort to make something that's about as accurate a portrayal of reality as randomly rendering curves in photoshop.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I have neither the time nor inclination to assist someone who was paid to write an article without some sort of remuneration. It is incumbent upon an author, and not the reader, to verify sources so that the author doesn't look foolish. And last time I checked, gender didn't matter to the propagation of RF.
How high in the air was your nose when you wrote this:
Quote:
I have neither the time nor inclination to assist someone who was paid to write an article without some sort of remuneration.
Ahhhh the usual C-D excuse, accuse someone of something behind their back and don't have the b*lls to confront the author. Instead coming up with some wimpy excuse, in your case the all mighty $ seems to rule in your life....

Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
What part of the article in particular set off this response? Just curious.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How high in the air was your nose when you wrote this:

Ahhhh the usual C-D excuse, accuse someone of something behind their back and don't have the b*lls to confront the author. Instead coming up with some wimpy excuse, in your case the all mighty $ seems to rule in your life....
Apparently your nose is stuck somewhere else. I said that my father (who was an EE with a First Class license and built commercial radio stations among other things) would be howling with laughter. That is a fact, pure and simple. I used to ride with him when he went out to perform the FCC mandated signal strength measurements. I've seen first-hand how propagation isn't neat and clean. Anyone with a cellphone that shows bars of signal strength can do something similar, by walking a few feet in a low signal area and noting the phase cancellations, shadows, and areas where things actually work right. It isn't rocket science (except maybe to folks like you who would have me explain it to a magazine guru.) Accuse someone "behind their back" - EXCUSE ME??? I am accusing someone of not doing their homework in front of them. They OBVIOUSLY must have a computer or some sort of wifi if they are SO intelligent to be showing pretty pictures of what they think RF propagation looks like.

Money rules my life no more than anyone else and a lot less than many. You go through my posts and you will see pages and pages of free advice without any thought of remuneration. However, I will NOT do homework for someone who gets PAID for what they do and don't do that job properly. I also don't give free labor to workmen that come to my home and do a cr-ap job. Unless you do, perhaps you need to get your nose out of that wedgie.

Further, just to be sure you get the concept - your desires of what you want me to do are your desires and not my responsibility, no matter how much you whinge and moan.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 07-27-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology