Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs here, but since it is a science related question....

I am just wondering if Homosexuality could be evolution at work? It would make sense if you think about ho many humans there are, we are taking up more space and consuming more resources then ever before and the population just continues to grow. Homosexuality could be natures fix for this. Less people mating for reasons of having children would be a decrease in population growth. Some might think that this would mean that all humans would eventually be homosexual. Not true, I really don't want to explain how a single species can evolve and go down several different paths. I know my understanding of evolution isn't 100% dead on, but I think I have a basic understanding of it.

Please for the sake of science leave any biblical and religious bigotry out of this. I want scientific responses, any non scientific responses will be reported for deletion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Strictly from my non-Scientfic observations I don't think most kids wake up one day and say, "Gee, I want to be Gay." I think as it has been mentioned in religious writings since the beginning of time it is not a very new subject, but a much misunderstood one. I think the answer is hidden in the DNA and yet to be identified.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times
I think I would have to agree with you.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
I thought of this very idea a couple years ago and was laughed at...

Welcome to the fold..

Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM

62 posts, read 212,843 times
I certainly hope it is part of evolution, we need less people! I can think of certain groups of people who are over populating, who should have more homosexuals within their population.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
No scientific response but:

I have wondered the same thing-exactly! Interested in seeing responses to your thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

I am just wondering if Homosexuality could be evolution at work? It would make sense if you think about ho many humans there are, we are taking up more space and consuming more resources then ever before and the population just continues to grow. Homosexuality could be natures fix for this. Less people mating for reasons of having children would be a decrease in population growth. Some might think that this would mean that all humans would eventually be homosexual. Not true, I really don't want to explain how a single species can evolve and go down several different paths. I know my understanding of evolution isn't 100% dead on, but I think I have a basic understanding of it.

Please for the sake of science leave any biblical and religious bigotry out of this. I want scientific responses, any non scientific responses will be reported for deletion.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

I don't think homosexuality is an evolutionary adaptation. Only mutations that help survival of the individual and that are carried from generation to generation work that way; homosexuality does neither.

Rather it's just more evidence of a fact of Nature: "Life is Messy".

Since there is no plan or direction for life, it is constantly spreading out in all directions; sometimes people just end up "wired" backwards because of it, just like some people are born with 6 fingers or with genius intellect and so forth.

It only appears to be going somewhere because only certain tracks are successful enough to continue across several generations and therefore become the norm.

Last edited by Chango; 06-21-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times
@Chango:

My understanding (very limited) is also that evolution is to benefit the individual. I am wondering if there are larger processes at work.

So I am thinking "are there any other adaptations in nature that benefit the society and which have no effect or even a deleterious effect on the individual?" Can anyone think of one?

Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
I think it is mostly a throw of the dice, though most of the genetics of two parents are going to be pretty much 50/50.

I like Chango's reply, but couldn't give him a rep.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I do think it is in genetics. This is why from birth we need to test the dna from babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology