Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,451,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Look up the Blue Brain Peoject headed by Dr. Henry Markram.

This is it from wiki but there is a lot more on the web. Projects like this will allow us to understand the brain so we can manipulate it by the 2020's. In fact his goal is to have the brain reversed engineered by 2019, 6 years from now.

This is from Wiki:

The Blue Brain Project is an attempt to create a synthetic brain by reverse-engineering the mammalian brain down to the molecular level.

The aim of the project, founded in May 2005 by the Brain and Mind Institute of the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland) is to study the brain's architectural and functional principles. The project is headed by the founding director Henry Markram and co-directed by Felix Schürmann and Sean Hill. Using a Blue Gene supercomputer running Michael Hines's NEURON software, the simulation does not consist simply of an artificial neural network, but involves a biologically realistic model of neurons. It is hoped that it will eventually shed light on the nature of consciousness.

The link: Blue Brain Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obama mentioned these efforts in a speech. But whatever someone writes in Wikipedia, it is entirely speculative at this point what results will occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM

12,260 posts, read 24,397,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Obama mentioned these efforts in a speech. But whatever someone writes in Wikipedia, it is entirely speculative at this point what results will occur.
Like I said there are other pages and a documentary on the issue. This project has been going on since 2005 and is long past the speculative stage and should be done by 2019.

This is the link to the documentary.

Bluebrain: a documentary film

This project has nothing to do with President Obama since it is in Europe. However they did get money for the project from the EU.

This is from CNN:

(CNN) -- There's no escaping the fact that the Human Brain Project, with its billion-dollar plan to recreate the human mind inside a supercomputer, sounds like a science fiction nightmare. But those involved hope their ambitious goal of simulating the tangle of neurons and synapses that power our thought processes could offer solutions to tackling conditions such as depression, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's. The Human Brain venture is the next step in a long-running program that has already succeeded in using computers to create a virtual replica of part of a rat's neocortex -- a section of the brain believed to control higher functions such as conscious thought, movement and reasoning.

The link: Scientists to simulate human brain inside a supercomputer - CNN.com

Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Well, people always get excited by these things. I have about 60 years of memories of projections like this. Almost none came true. 2001: Space Odyssey was wildly inaccurate. I guess until you've lived through countless predictions of things that took waaaaaaaaaay longer, some even turning out to be so expensive no one could justify them (remember HAL?), you'll keep watching documentaries breathlessly and thinking "wow, that's awesome but scary". At some point in time, everything that doesn't require people to go without eating will happen. But the way our industrial society is destroying the very nest it lives in, it is incredibly risky to predict technological wonders. Despite constant innovation, when Super Storm Sandy struck, the most advanced nation in the world could only stare helplessly. Why? Because actually preparing effectively for it is beyond our financial means. As climate change continues, recovery is going to eat up more and more discretionary cash. One by one these discretionary projects will fold for lack of funding. Europe is in more financial trouble than even our country. They aren't somehow an oasis where this stuff will continue either.

But if it gets you through your day, dream on. I don't think we NEED to replicate a human brain inside a computer. I can't imagine why anyone on the planet believes we do. There must be a thousand things we need more.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well, people always get excited by these things. I have about 60 years of memories of projections like this. Almost none came true. 2001: Space Odyssey was wildly inaccurate. I guess until you've lived through countless predictions of things that took waaaaaaaaaay longer, some even turning out to be so expensive no one could justify them (remember HAL?), you'll keep watching documentaries breathlessly and thinking "wow, that's awesome but scary". At some point in time, everything that doesn't require people to go without eating will happen. But the way our industrial society is destroying the very nest it lives in, it is incredibly risky to predict technological wonders. Despite constant innovation, when Super Storm Sandy struck, the most advanced nation in the world could only stare helplessly. Why? Because actually preparing effectively for it is beyond our financial means. As climate change continues, recovery is going to eat up more and more discretionary cash. One by one these discretionary projects will fold for lack of funding. Europe is in more financial trouble than even our country. They aren't somehow an oasis where this stuff will continue either.

But if it gets you through your day, dream on. I don't think we NEED to replicate a human brain inside a computer. I can't imagine why anyone on the planet believes we do. There must be a thousand things we need more.
I am not as old as you, I am 40, but I understand how most predictions are not worth the paper they are written on. Information technology is different as it advances in a predictable exponential rate. Just look at the computer. It in the 60's they took up entire buildings. Then in the 70's they took up rooms. Today they fit in the palm of our hand and by next year we will have Google glasses and the next step is contact computers finally they will be the size of blood cells by 2030, only 17 years away. So programs like this are relatively easy to predict and there are examples of successfully completing them. The most famous one is the genome project which was completed in 15 years.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM

I think it is funny they predicted flying cars but not Google, Facebook, or Twitter.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I think it is funny they predicted flying cars but not Google, Facebook, or Twitter.
Me too. When a car can "fly" is not something that can be predicted. It's not information technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology