U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,259,872 times

Advertisements

Computers, cell phones, smart phones, tablets, google, home entertainment, cable, satellite TV, etc so many other electronics people can hobby with or get their electronic "fix" with.

Google photos of Hamfests and there aren't too many younger people there (though Ham clubs love to find the one or two kids, especially girls showing interest and post them on their web pages).

What percentage of non-military people under 50 know Morse Code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 AM

131 posts, read 100,511 times
Yes, I am a 48 year old woman and I got into the hobby because of my Dad (a lifelong Ham). My call is W2NU. I have not done HF for the past 9 months or so because of antenna issues.

I am an Army veteran and I do not know Morse Code (not yet at least). We are getting ready to move from Upstate NY to the Sarasota FL area and I know my antennas and equipment will not travel well. I will look at re-establishing everything once I am settles. But for now, I have to find a way to get the Butternut Vertical off my garage roof I'll have to work with a local Ham radio club.

Yes, I am the complete minority regarding Hams - I actually helped teach a technician course for a time. I see huge value in the comms offered by amateur radio. Very valuable.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:54 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
I'm 43, and have been a ham for about 2 years. I primarily mess with APRS.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
I'm 62 and have had my license for about 5 years now. Holding an Extra Class license. We have lots of younger (20 somethings) hams around these parts, and most either know or are learning morse code on their own since it's no longer a license requirement. The oldest ham around here I know is 96. Great guy, has lots of stories and knowledge.

I don't know the point of your "though Ham clubs love to find the one or two kids, especially girls showing interest and post them on their web pages" remark other than a dig.

When someone tells me they can talk to anyone on their cell phone, I reply with, can you talk to an astronaut on the International Space Station? I have. Can you talk to someone in Japan after their nuclear plant explosion who lives in that town? I have. There's also a lot of middle and high schools who have active ham clubs.

And guess what? When the cell phones go out, ham radio will still work. I think you have some misconceptions you need to work on.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM

131 posts, read 100,511 times
Amen to that jim9251!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM

5,165 posts, read 10,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Why asking about NON - military people ?

Does your question imply that all military people under 50 do know Morse code ?
Maybe, if your specific MOS requires you to know Morse Code ?

On the other hand, I think *HAM* is a hobby.
I looked at getting into that a very long time ago,
and then found that it was not an easy one to get really into.
I actually know only one person who did that.
Today, I do not know anybody who does HAM.

So unless if you are not professionally required to know Morse Code,
then with the extremely small amount of people who do *HAM*, not many know Morse Code.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
CW (morse) hasn't been required for any class of license since 2007.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM

562 posts, read 508,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Computers, cell phones, smart phones, tablets, google, home entertainment, cable, satellite TV, etc so many other electronics people can hobby with or get their electronic "fix" with.

Google photos of Hamfests and there aren't too many younger people there (though Ham clubs love to find the one or two kids, especially girls showing interest and post them on their web pages).

Why would we need to know Morse code? Lol. It's about where we're going, not where we've been.

I looked into broadcasting radio, then I saw everyone was doing it on the internet. Millions of radio stations being broadcasted even now. I can tune in to local stations in many cities all over the world.

Where we've been is amazing.

As a means of the mass transmitting of audio, radio waves are a novelty...held on to those who hold on to the known, the familiar, the comfortable. Breeding indolence in the world's people, those people are to admonished, shunned, ostracized. Or else, called out on public message boards for being contrary to all that is noble in man.

Or else, chuckled at.

Last edited by xisnotx; 02-18-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Yeah, there's ONLY over 750,000 licensed ham operators in the U.S. and Morse code is more popular than ever.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM

6,516 posts, read 8,601,264 times
Is ham radio and shortwave the same thing???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology