U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,408,665 times

Advertisements

Donating one's body to science has rarely sounded so gruesome. CBS DFW shines a light on Texas' "Body Ranch," the final destination for people who have decided to skip the graveyard in favor of a different final resting place. Here, naked bodies are left out in the open, and their decomposition is studied by students at Texas State University in San Marcos.

Bodies Left to Decompose in Texas Field—for Science - Students study decomposition at the 'Body Ranch'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,360,263 times
You apparently don't watch CSI. lol

There has been at least one episode about a "body farm."

Also:

Quote:
A body farm is a research facility where human decomposition can be studied in a variety of settings. The aim is to gain a better understanding of the decomposition process, permitting the development of techniques for extracting information (such as the timing and circumstances of death) from human remains. Body farm research is particularly important within forensic anthropology and related disciplines, and has applications in the fields of law enforcement and forensic science. Four such facilities exist in the United States, with the research facility operated by Texas State University at Freeman Ranch being the largest at seven acres.
Body farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first time I was aware of this practice was when I read a book, called (coincidentally lol) "The Body Farm," by Patricia Cromwell.

If you google "the body farm," there is lots of information about it; the one in Texas isn't unique.

Maybe I'll donate my body and save my kids the expense of burying me or having me cremated.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 892,568 times
The body farm in Cornwell's novel a real place near the Unviersity of Tennessee's campus in Knoxville.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM

16,876 posts, read 51,413,686 times
The whole concept that a body has to eventually decompose into component parts is troubling to people, who work their entire lives to keep their bodies intact and in good shape. Burial shields us from the effects, cremation happens behind a closed door. The good thing about all this is it made me put "Soylant Green" on my Netflix list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or