U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 PM

26 posts, read 46,133 times

Advertisements

My question is simple. Where do you think the scientific establishment of the human race would be if the Library of Alexandria were to not be destroyed? The library contained hundreds of thousands of written accounts that compromised much of the knowledge of the ancient world, including their knowledge of astronomy. Do you think our scientific establishment would be at a much advanced pace ? Do you think human knowledge would be on a more advanced level ? This question is kind of presumptuous, so feel free to make fun of it or comment on it in any way in which you would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 PM

505 posts, read 550,645 times
Google "A Prayer for Archimedes"

Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 PM

16,921 posts, read 51,568,471 times
The tense of the question is awkward, but beyond that...

Historians and anthropologists would be elated, but hard science wouldn't be all that much different.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,240,704 times
I have often wonder how much more we'd know or how much more advanced we'd be now if not for the burning of that library. I wonder if current mysteries of the ancient world wouldn't be mysteries, at the very least. I once heard that it set back the world of science by at least 100 years. Not sure how accurate that is. Should do some research on the subject.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 PM

4,994 posts, read 7,790,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiancnv View Post
My question is simple. Where do you think the scientific establishment of the human race would be if the Library of Alexandria were to not be destroyed? The library contained hundreds of thousands of written accounts that compromised much of the knowledge of the ancient world, including their knowledge of astronomy. Do you think our scientific establishment would be at a much advanced pace ? Do you think human knowledge would be on a more advanced level ? This question is kind of presumptuous, so feel free to make fun of it or comment on it in any way in which you would like.
Your question is more philosophical than scientific because there's no way of actually knowing exactly what was contained in the collection apart from later texts attesting it as perhaps the largest collection of its time. It's hard to say what their knowledge of astronomy was, whether it was all that much different than the Greeks or Romans. If that's the case, then I don't think it would've necessarily resulted in a faster pace of scientific advancement. Assuming the course of history continued on in the directions it has, there's no reason to think the pace would've been any different. The libraries (I understand it probably wasn't just a single building) would've simply been a collection of knowlege that was available at the time. It was certainly considered to be a very impressive collection.

It's presumed that the libraries contained works from all over, but it may have contained mostly works of the Egyptians. Was anything ever salvaged from the fires? I don't think anyone really knows, apart from later writings attesting that it was an extensive library, a collection of works. That doesn't really tell you much though. There's not much to go on in terms of any of the actual works. I don't think human knowledge would be any more advanced than it is today. Had there been no fires, there may have been records to better detail the architecture and construction of the pyramids, other structures and complexes. We do have some records painted on the walls of tombs and temples which give some pretty good general ideas. Still, any records of it in the libraries would've helped fill in some of the blanks.

So what do you think? Would our scientific knowledge today be more advanced? What do you think the Library contained in the way of knowledge that isn't already known from Egypt and other areas?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 28 days ago)

13,443 posts, read 11,953,310 times
I think that knowledge of fire suppression systems would have been greatly advanced.

...well you said I could make fun of it.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,731,204 times
The burning of Alexandria wasn't the only time we potentionally "lost" hundreds or thousands of years of scientific knowledge, not too long ago advanced science was considered blasphemy/heresy by the church and those working in those fields were subject to imprisonment or execution, Galileo received a life sentence just because he said Earth wasn't the center of the Universe.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,406,504 times
I have often wondered if events like this or even the dark ages set back humans however after watching shows like the history of the world in 2 hours I no longer think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology