U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,671,678 times

Advertisements

There is no link between the three, they are totally unrelated.

Google is a corporate and ephemeral man-made phenomenon and will disappear as surely as Netscape browsers and MySpace profiles disappeared.

God, in the approximate form claimed by theologians, very probably does not and cannot exist.

The Singularity is an amorphous stage that civilization may pass through, and the inhabitants of the planet will likely be unaware of it or unfazed by it when it does, and life will go on to noone's surprise.

By the way, Greed and Singularity are mutually exclusiive concepts and cannot coexist. And Greed has a very good track record for tenacity, and is what makes Google possible and God imaginable.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-07-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:06 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,376,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no link between the three, they are totally unrelated.

Google is a corporate and ephemeral man-made phenomenon and will disappear as surely as Netscape browsers and MySpace profiles disappeared.

God, in the approximate form claimed by theologians, very probably does not and cannot exist.

The Singularity is an amorphous stage that civilization may pass through, and the inhabitants of the planet will likely be unaware of it or unfazed by it when it does, and life will go on to noone's surprise.

By the way, Greed and Singularity are mutually exclusiive concepts and cannot coexist. And Greed has a very good track record for tenacity, and is what makes Google possible and God imaginable.
I agree with you that they are not connected but to be precise on what the singularity is its when humans and computers merge to where if you took someone from say the 1960s' they would not understand how we are living. Now today they would need hours of studying to understand how things like the I Phone are a part of our lives but I think they could get it, however, fast forward to 2030 when computers the size of blood cells have more processing capability then all of NASA from the 1960's and the implications that will mean from health and medicine to VR I don't think they would understand. That is the singularity.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,470,616 times
Google has transformed into a very large corporate entity whose purpose is to "deliver value to shareholders."

Granted they have some very, very unique ideas to achieve this.

For one, I think they let scientists and smaller firms do the real innovative research now and buy them up. For instance, I read a few months ago in a journal that Italian scientists had discovered a way to re-engineer stem cells from adult cells by introducing a specific chemical stew. That stew essentially reverted the cells to their infant state. From there, they then used the cells to re-grow as other tissues (specifically, skin cells for the nose to the lips).

There are a few different means by which I can see humans achieving immortality, and Google will probably be researching methods into all of these if given enough financial resources:

1) Chemical / biological regeneration; clinical immortality utilizing a very advanced version of the above transformation of adult cells to stem cells. This would require completely re-engineering the means by which cells divide today and revamp the means by which cells reject toxins that build up slowly over time.

2) Mechanical / computer immortality; simply replacing biological components with mechanical ones. Multiple novels, movies, and even anime have explored this idea.

3) A merging of AI with human intelligence; when you think about it, it really isn't that far fetched. The human brain is composed of billions of cells which exhibit very simple behavior and carry out very specific instructions. It is through parallelism that our bodies and brains become powerful. It's just like an ant colony. Each ant is capable of simple instructions and only by connecting with other ants with other different instructions is the colony able to live on it's own. We already have a means to simulate the dynamics of these massively parallel systems. think of transforming a human conscious into a series of instructions and uploading the state of that consciousness when a person dies, then hitting "start" on a simulation which would run and continue running. This type of immortality would require massive computing power and parallelism. Personally I will be very disappointed if this sort of immortality is achieved first because the human body, when you think of it, is highly efficient in power consumption, and requiring a simulation of a human brain will require nothing short of many megawatts of power to run, at least at first.

I'm sure there's other ways they're looking at it.

The Singularity assumes a redoubling of scientific knowledge and adoption of technology. There is however a commercial, industrial, and consumption limit to the rate at which new technology can be adopted. For example, in Japan, many companies still require faxes and run Windows XP. XP!!! The point here is that you can invent new whizbang stuff all the time. Whether it gets picked up and consumed is another. So personally I do not think that a true singularity intelligence/technology event horizon is possible.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM

12,104 posts, read 20,376,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

The Singularity assumes a redoubling of scientific knowledge and adoption of technology. There is however a commercial, industrial, and consumption limit to the rate at which new technology can be adopted. For example, in Japan, many companies still require faxes and run Windows XP. XP!!! The point here is that you can invent new whizbang stuff all the time. Whether it gets picked up and consumed is another. So personally I do not think that a true singularity intelligence/technology event horizon is possible.
Information technology advances exponentially and has been doing so since the first modern computer was built in 1890. Not only that but the rate at which it advances, also, has been going up. For example in 1900 it took 3 years for computers to double and in 1960 it took 2 years today its less then a year. It will continue to go up so after 2030 computers will be double in just a few months.

If you boil the singularity down the definition is when computers merge with humans and that will happen by 2030. If you look at the history of computers it backs that up:

In the 1960's computers took up entire buildings yet were very powerful and did thousands of calculation per second. That allowed NASA to get up to the moon and back.

In the 1970's computers that took up entire rooms had more processing capability then the ones that took up entire buildings in the 1960's.

In the 1980's computers that fit on our desk has more processing capability then the ones that fit in rooms in the 1970's.

In the 1990's computers that fit on our laps (lap tops) had more processing capability then the ones that fit on out desks in the 1980's.

By 2005 smart phones had more processing capability then the computers that fit in our laps in the 1990's.

Today we have Google glasses and they have more processing capability then the first smart phones in 2005.

They are already working on contacts with computers in them that will come out in the next 5 years.

In fact I read a article in my local news paper on how wearable computers it going to cause a paradigm shift in the next 5 years. So my question is do you think it will stop here? It wont. Between 2025 and 2030 the next paradigm shift will come as computers the size of blood cells will have more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's and the Google glasses out now and the contact lenses with computers in them coming out in less then 5 years. What will the impact of that be as will have millions if not billions of them inside our bodies? The full impact of that is unknown but we do know it will impact our health by eliminating disease and enhance our cognitive ability making the current way we test to see how smart people are obsolete as everyone who has they computers in them will be able to get a perfect score on the IQ test. That is the singularity and it will be here by 2030.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology