U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:54 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,592,120 times

Advertisements

For someone who wants to learn the basics on my own time, just for the general knowledge, are there any books and/or websites that you guys would recommend that I check out for the following?
  • Applied Sciences (includes Environmental Science, Food Science, Forestry and Urban Planning)
  • Biology (includes Anatomy, Botany, Microbiology, Paleontology and Physiology)
  • Chemistry (includes Food chemistry)
  • Earth Sciences (includes Climatology, Ecology, Geology, Lithology, Meteorology, Mineralogy and Oceanography)
  • Economics (includes Macroeconomics and Microeconomics)
  • Physics
  • Zoology (includes Entomology, Herpetology, Ichthyology, Mammalogy and Ornithology)
  • Social Sciences (includes Anthropology, Archaeology, Criminology, Psychology and Sociology)
I know that is a lot that I am asking. I will definitely get around to all of them eventually, and also seeing which one really spikes my interest.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:25 PM

408 posts, read 446,818 times
Check out www.khanacademy.org. They have easy-to-understand videos on all levels of math, from adding one-digit numbers through differential equations, as well as biology, physics, chemistry, and organic chemistry, as well as a system, if you sign on, where you can keep track of your progress. In particular, they have a lot of videos on both macro and micro-economics.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,512,398 times
What the Nose Knows is a great easy to read book about the chemical senses (mainly olfaction): What the Nose Knows | Avery Gilbert

Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,830,341 times
The Great Courses® - Audio & Video Lectures from The World -- That's The Teaching Company. It's insanely expensive per course, but all excellent. For those who are worried about the cost, a simple thepiratebay search for "TTC" will get you all of their courses for no charge.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM

815 posts, read 994,156 times
Also use Coursera and edX. Both are good sites with courses on different kinds of levels.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 AM

Awesome URLs. Thanks guys!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM

And if anyone else has any other URL's to share, feel free

Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 PM

10 posts, read 9,650 times
Chemistry2011: Main Branches of Chemistry

Most people, including myself, think chemistry is just "chemistry." But there are branches like the others. Here is a link that shows most of the branches of chemistry.

MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
MIT opencourseware

Different Branches in Physics
Website showing the branches in physics. I am curious where quantum mechanics would fall in this list.

Why isn't the URL tag working.....

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM

32 posts, read 30,434 times
Regarding earth sciences: Lithology/stratigraphy and mineralogy would better be learned after introductory courses in physical geology and historical geology. Too, general chemistry and college physics, and their perquisites, will help understanding what you want to learn.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 PM

I've been busy with college, so I haven't had much time at all to start learning new or retaining any of what I asked in the original post.

A few days ago, I did discover Spark Charts and Quick Study. Would those be a good place for me to start off, then progress on to something a lot more detailed later on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology