U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Test Your Own DNA?
Yes 24 64.86%
No 6 16.22%
Not sure 5 13.51%
Not in a million years! 2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM

26,867 posts, read 38,123,724 times

Advertisements

I've thought about it, but since we don't have children I have a hard time finding a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I had mine tested, although there no uncertainty about who my parents were. As a result, I received correspondence from people with a close match, which enabled me to get some detailed family trees that ran parallel to mine, going back to the 1500s.

Presumably, yours can do the same, and could get you in touch with people who can verify who some of your ancestor are. People interested in genealogy seem to have infinite patience to steer others through their ancestries.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I have no idea who my natural parents were and therefore know nothing about my genetic background.

I was told by someone I don't know whether or not I believe that my parents were from eastern Tennessee and were part Irish and part Cherokee.

I've been curious for some time and being aware that some labs provide DNA testing for individuals, I began to wonder whether or not to have my own tested just to set my mind at ease.

What's your reaction?
I had mine done april last year by 23andme for $199 as I believe it's down to $99 and I have no regrets at all doing so.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,728,567 times
Thank you all for your comments. I will definitely do it.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM

9,994 posts, read 4,140,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
I had mine done april last year by 23andme for $199 as I believe it's down to $99 and I have no regrets at all doing so.
It's back up to $199. I am about to send mine in and I look forward to reviewing the results!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
One part of me says it might be interesting finding stuff out but would it really?? (Might mess up your whole life (Unless you already think I suppose something might not be kosher))

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz
Thank you all for your comments. I will definitely do it.
I wonder how his results were?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
One part of me says it might be interesting finding stuff out but would it really?? (Might mess up your whole life (Unless you already think I suppose something might not be kosher))
I work in the field of genetic testing and it's the best thing we have going for us now in the world of medicine. We are in the era where all medicine is going molecular...after all this is where almost all illness begins...at the level of our DNA. We are now able to provide a wide array of gene therapies for rare genetic conditions and we are discovering more and more genetic cures.

Just today this news came out. HIV cure a step closer after scientists remove virus's DNA from living tissue

I don't get the fear people have with knowing the truth. I can't wait to see my results.

Keep in mind: What unexpected things might I learn from 23andMe?
Quote:
Learning that your genotype is associated with an increased risk of a particular condition can be difficult, especially if you have seen a friend or family member struggle with a similar issue. One of the potential benefits of having more information is that by working with your physician you may better manage your health. But as a matter of personal choice, some people prefer not to know.
Quote:
I wonder how his results were?
I will be happy to share mine.

For anyone who decides to have their genome tested you are helping to progress science in better understanding the human genome.

The test I took requires saliva. A decent amount of it is needed. You are asked to not eat, drink or brush your teeth, smoke or use mouthwash 30 minutes prior to submitting your sample. I found it was easy to generate saliva by being hungry and cooking a meal that makes you salivate. It works well to help you generate enough sample.

I will be mailing mine in tomorrow. I can't wait to see the results.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:39 AM

I hope it all goes well

Old 06-05-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I hope it all goes well
Darn! I just received this message in an email from 23andme about my sample.

Quote:
Dear XXXXX,

Our laboratory attempted analysis of your saliva sample but the concentration of DNA was insufficient to produce genotyping results. No need to worry -- while this occurrence is uncommon, it does happen occasionally. Simply provide a new sample using a replacement kit we will ship to you at no charge after you've placed your replacement order online.

I am perplexed since I know that I sent in a good sample. On top of that I am a Molecular Scientist!

I mailed my sample in on the same day as my partners sample. His made it just fine and is in the process of being analyzed.

It looks as if there are 2 places in the process where a sample can fail. I hope when I submit my new sample that it passes both processes with no issues.

Quote:
1) DNA Extraction

If a sample passes the visual inspection, it's time for DNA extraction. The process our laboratory uses to isolate and purify the DNA in your saliva is simply an automated version of the same one you can do at home. Once the DNA is extracted from the saliva sample, the concentration is measured to make sure there is enough for the actual genotyping process on the SNP chip.

If the first attempt at DNA extraction does not yield satisfactory results, a second attempt is made with some saliva that was set aside before the process was started. If this second try fails, we contact the customer and send a free replacement kit so he or she can spit again. The hope is that this second sample will be DNA-rich and ready to go!

The most common cause of low DNA is that the preservative solution is not fully released into the tube. But some people just naturally have low DNA in their saliva. If a customer is sent a replacement kit, and two tries on the new saliva sample still don't yield enough DNA, then unfortunately the customer probably won't be able to use our service and a refund is made. Luckily, this is a very rare occurrence.

2) Genotyping

Samples that yield sufficient quantities of DNA are submitted for genotyping on our custom SNP chip. This process is performed in batches of 96 samples. We monitor the process to make sure it is going as expected. If a particular sample fails to give sufficient information, we go back to the saliva sample that was set aside in the extraction step and try again. If a second attempt at genotyping fails, we ship a free replacement kit to the customer so he or she can spit again.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 PM

Hmmmmmmm What if ya sent a blood sample?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or