Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Test Your Own DNA?
Yes 24 63.16%
No 7 18.42%
Not sure 6 15.79%
Not in a million years! 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 03:47 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

I am SUPER BUMMED!!!!! I just got this email!

Quote:
Dear XXXXXXXX

Our laboratory received your second saliva sample, but could not successfully analyze it for the same reason that produced the first analysis failure, the concentration of DNA in the saliva sample was insufficient. The laboratory made multiple attempts to obtain sufficient DNA for analysis but was unable to do so.

As this is the second low DNA failure, we are unable to send you another sample kit. There are no known additional steps that would increase the chance of success with a third sample. A full refund, less shipping and handling, is available to you.

Request refund for: XXXXXXX

Sincerely,
The 23andMe Team
I am speechless and very let down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM

684 posts, read 713,753 times
I woudl take a position that there is a medical need for such a test, since some sicknesses are genetic. There could be also a psychological need as well.

I would go to a doctor and obtain a prescription and then get the DNA test done in a hospital or a formal testing facility while my health insurance pays for it.

I would not be messing with these online tests...

Old 06-17-2016, 10:08 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
I would try with another lab or maybe try again with 23andMe at your own expense. Maybe double down on the instructions for not eating and drinking beforehand (instead of 30 min. go for a couple of hours). Don't use mouthwash for a couple of days beforehand. Eat pure unprocessed foods. Don't drink alcohol etc. Whatever you can think of that might interfere with the test, eliminate it. Maybe spit in the tube first thing in the morning before you even drink some water. You probably put the stabilizer in within the 30 min. but maybe change how you are mailing it back. For example drop it off at the post office right away in the morning so it is in a more stable environment and on it's way quicker.

Having the info is really valuable and worth the effort.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I am SUPER BUMMED!!!!! I just got this email!

I am speechless and very let down.
I feel for you, but that's tempered by the fact that I'm guessing it's your kit that's been screwing up my processing time.

My kit has been in extraction since the 4th of June.

Out of curiosity.. Which lab?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I feel for you, but that's tempered by the fact that I'm guessing it's your kit that's been screwing up my processing time.

My kit has been in extraction since the 4th of June.
I doubt my kit has anything to do with your processing time. My partner sent his in at the same time and they are now in the interpreting phase. If your kit is still in the processing phase then there is something wrong. Neither of my samples remained in the processing phase for more than 6 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Out of curiosity.. Which lab?
23andme. The lab is in NC.

I have a PhD friend who just just pinged me with this:

Quote:
Ymay have really good collagen and not shed enough oral mucosa for a collection with only saliva. That's why you look in your 20s. I would do a swab dna collection to get cells

Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 PM

I had forgotten about this but I heard chewing on your inner cheeks when collecting the saliva could help slough the cells off. Your PhD friend reminded me of this.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I had forgotten about this but I heard chewing on your inner cheeks when collecting the saliva could help slough the cells off. Your PhD friend reminded me of this.
I just spoke to 23andme and was told that their technology is only validated for white blood cells found in saliva.

I was told that buccal cells (cheek cells) are not what they use to extract DNA. However, any saliva sample will include some buccal cells and yes buccal cells contain the same gDNA as your White Blood Cells.

So I called their INCOMPETENT customer service help line and spoke to a NON-SCIENTIST who was just the most ignorant robot who could not answer this very basic question...which I already know the answer to. But she would not get me a PhD or anyone with a scientific background to answer this question for me. In short I think 23andme is a joke.

My question to her: If I sent in another saliva sample and added to this sample a buccal swab could this improve the DNA yield? She then babbles on and on with the same repeating robot recording about how their test only tests the DNA found in the white blood cells found in saliva.

I then asked her how they separate out the white blood cells from the buccal cells that will be present in a normal sample?...since a normal sample will also contain buccal cells? Answer: Same robot recording.

I also asked her if she could tell me the difference between the DNA in found in buccal cells and the DNA in white blood cells? I know this answer but I wanted to get her to think! She again repeated her dumb robot recording about how their test only exacts the DNA from the white blood cells.

I then asked her how are the methods of extracting DNA from white blood cells different from extracting DNA from buccal cells? (Again, I know the answer but I wanted to see what she would say). She could not answer but refused to transfer me to a competent scientific person who understands genetics.

What a joke!

I don't think it would matter if I sent in a 3rd sample and included a swab. When I was working on my Master's in Molecular diagnostics we took a swab of our own buccal cells and extracted the gDNA. My DNA concentration was also too low to analyze. I would love to understand the causes for this.

I will just wait until the technology improves...it won't be long before a new and more robust method comes to the market.

My partner got this for me as a birthday gift. Happy Birthday to Me!

Thankfully there's a refund!

And I leave you all with this: Direct-to-consumer genetic tests neither accurate in their predictions nor beneficial to individuals, study suggests

Old 06-17-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
...When I was working on my Master's in Molecular diagnostics we took a swab of our own buccal cells and extracted the gDNA. My DNA concentration was also too low to analyze. I would love to understand the causes for this.
Have you considered the possibility that you might be an alien or an android?

Old 06-17-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Have you considered the possibility that you might be an alien or an android?
You bet! That's also what my brother and partner concluded. It was also my first suspicion.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
I doubt my kit has anything to do with your processing time. My partner sent his in at the same time and they are now in the interpreting phase. If your kit is still in the processing phase then there is something wrong. Neither of my samples remained in the processing phase for more than 6 days.

23andme. The lab is in NC.

I have a PhD friend who just just pinged me with this:
I know it's not your fault, but.. Someone has to take the blame.

They seem to have hit a logjam in the past few days. Their forums, in the 'whining' thread, seem to have a number of people who have had no progress in the past week and a half or so. I'm not in the processing phase, I'm in the extraction phase.

A number of people saying they've been in QR for over a week.

They do, supposedly, have two labs in the US.. One in NC and one in CA.

I'm guessing, and hoping, that they fast-tracked your second sample and that's why you basically made it through 2 extractions while i'm still awaiting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology