U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Test Your Own DNA?
Yes 24 64.86%
No 6 16.22%
Not sure 5 13.51%
Not in a million years! 2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:47 PM

10,018 posts, read 4,148,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I know it's not your fault, but.. Someone has to take the blame.
Put the blame on them...not me.
Quote:
They do, supposedly, have two labs in the US.. One in NC and one in CA.
My sample was sent to NC. That is where their DNA testing lab is located.
Quote:
I'm guessing, and hoping, that they fast-tracked your second sample and that's why you basically made it through 2 extractions while i'm still awaiting one.
Both my samples as well as my partners sample were fast tracked.

Then mine always remained in the Extraction phase.

My partners passed and his was sent in on May 19th and is has been sitting in the analysis phase for at least 2 weeks.

I don't think the analysis are very accurate myself. You can Google search this yourself.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-17-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I had forgotten about this but I heard chewing on your inner cheeks when collecting the saliva could help slough the cells off. Your PhD friend reminded me of this.
Here our my results from my buccal cell swab. See how lane 7 has a barely visible band?

Attached Thumbnails
Having Your Own DNA Tested-buccal-swab.jpg  

Last edited by Matadora; 06-17-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 03:02 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora
I am SUPER BUMMED!!!!! I just got this email!
Send them A BLOOD SAMPLE!!!!! (Who cares what they say..... WITH A BLOOD SAMPLE THEY WILL BE ABLE TO and if they say otherwise,THEY ARE LYING!!)

Good luck!!

Old 06-18-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Send them A BLOOD SAMPLE!!!!! (Who cares what they say..... WITH A BLOOD SAMPLE THEY WILL BE ABLE TO and if they say otherwise,THEY ARE LYING!!)

Good luck!!
Hi Dude,

Thanks but it would be in violation of Federal Laws for them to take a blood sample if their test methodology is not validate with blood. Once a CLIA Accredited lab validates their test methodology with whatever sample their methodology is validated with, then they have to follow this protocol. Not doing so would be in violation of Federal Laws if they tested other types of samples.

23andme came under heavy fire with the FDA several years ago and had to prove that they have a validated test. There is no way they would accept a blood sample...especially after cleaning up their act with the FDA and validated their assay using saliva.

In the future they might validate this test with blood. It's a completely different assay that would be employed if the sample was blood.

I will wait until better testing methodologies become available.

Apparently it's rare but some people don't secrete a lot DNA in their saliva.
Quote:
It is only in very rare cases that a person’s saliva contains so little DNA that repeated efforts to analyze it fail (In those situations, we do provide a refund!).

What Happens After I Spit? A Saliva Sample’s Saga

Last edited by Matadora; 06-18-2016 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 11:45 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
That's a bummer, Matadora.

DH and I tested with 23AndMe. He had to do a repeat sample but that one got results.

FamilyTreeDNA uses a swab. That might get better results.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's a bummer, Matadora.

DH and I tested with 23AndMe. He had to do a repeat sample but that one got results.

FamilyTreeDNA uses a swab. That might get better results.
Thanks Suzy, but I am going to hold off until better methodologies are offered. I did a cheek swab on myself (part of a lab experiment we did during my Master's degree), and again the DNA concentration was too low. See post 42 and lane 7 barely has a visible band.

I think the best way is to do a blood draw...until that type of sample is used for direct to consumer DNA testing comes out I will just hold off.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:35 PM

8,154 posts, read 6,006,827 times
My kit jumped past Extraction and is in QR as of today. Methinks someone forgot to scan it along one of the steps.

I'm kinda wondering what would happen if you were to bite the inside of your cheek and include a slight amount of blood with the saliva. If it's WBC that they're extracting DNA from.. That should up the count nicely.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm kinda wondering what would happen if you were to bite the inside of your cheek and include a slight amount of blood with the saliva. If it's WBC that they're extracting DNA from.. That should up the count nicely.
Guys help me understand why I am not making sense to some of you?

Cheek cells are buccal cells...which are epithelial cells. They also contain DNA. *Note*: They are epithelial cells, not white blood cells.

The link below describes the difference between the two.

Rinse, Swab or Spit -- What's the Real Source of DNA in Saliva?

If you see post #42 you will see my gel electrophoresis of my own cheek swab. See Lane 7, there is hardly any DNA present. The concentration was too low to analyze in the lab experiment we were performing.

You can barely see one visible band. Look at Lane 5 - the DNA Ladder lane. This is what lane 7 should resemble had there been enough DNA present in my cheek swab.

Quote:
How are DNA fragments separated using gel electrophoresis?

A solution of DNA molecules is placed in a gel. Because each DNA molecule is negatively charged, it can be pulled through the gel by an electric field. Small DNA molecules move more quickly through the gel than larger DNA molecules.

The result is a series of ‘bands’, with each band containing DNA molecules of a particular size. The bands furthest from the start of the gel contain the smallest fragments of DNA. The bands closest to the start of the gel contain the largest DNA fragments.The result is a series of ‘bands’, with each band containing DNA molecules of a particular size. The bands furthest from the start of the gel contain the smallest fragments of DNA. The bands closest to the start of the gel contain the largest DNA fragments.

Now back to the issue. I am a rare type that does not secrete enough white blood cells in my saliva. Now based on the fact that my cheek swab also failed to produce enough DNA for my own personal lab experiment, this should tell you that it won't make any difference if I try the 23andme test again adding cheek cells to the saliva sample. Adding my buccal swab (i.e. cheek swab) would most likely not increase the DNA concentration.

My evidence for coming to this conclusion: See post #42, look at Lane 7, compare it to lane 5. To read a lane...you read from top to bottom. For example lane 5 lights up all the way from the negative electrode at the top, to the positive electrode at the bottom. Then look at lane 7, you can barley see one band.

Maybe this will help. DNA Gel Electrophoresis

I hope this is clear. Please help me to understand how to make it more clear if you still don't understand.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:16 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
No your making sense honey....... Im sorry if I seem like I dont understand........ (I guess I do.... They dont wanna take a chance and process a blood sample)

Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No your making sense honey....... Im sorry if I seem like I dont understand........ (I guess I do.... They dont wanna take a chance and process a blood sample)
It's not that they don't want to take a chance. The fact is that it's very rare to find a low DNA saliva secreter, such as myself.

They would have to validate an entire new platform if they want to assess DNA from the WBC's in a blood draw.

Since my case is a rare thing, they are doing great with most samples.

I prefer to wait until better technology is offered for the same purpose.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or