U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM

124 posts, read 116,905 times

Advertisements

To avoid derailing another thread, I decided to post my own. The ideas of trans-humanism and anything we can only imagine is good, but at what price, emotionally, spiritually and financially? I am neutral about the whole concept happening to us in the future. On one hand, it scares me a little, but for the optimist I am sometimes, it sounds too good to be true. Also, getting to live forever and the other ideas are very incompatible with my religion, another hurdle to overcome.

And do I need to be prepared for such a moment to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM

347 posts, read 401,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
To avoid derailing another thread, I decided to post my own. The ideas of trans-humanism and anything we can only imagine is good, but at what price, emotionally, spiritually and financially? I am neutral about the whole concept happening to us in the future. On one hand, it scares me a little, but for the optimist I am sometimes, it sounds too good to be true. Also, getting to live forever and the other ideas are very incompatible with my religion, another hurdle to overcome.

Unfortunately millions if NOT BILLIONS do not think about this topic, I am sure.
For the fate of the many are in the hands of ONLY a FEW.

Look at banks. 5 people on the bank's board control the fate of MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of people.

People are too busy working for a living trying to survive and trying to propel their family into the future to think about this let alone to THINK at all.

Can you imagine the banks charging only 1% for a mortgage. That would be blashpemous and unheard of. Talk about good natured?

Changing the way BANKS ALONE do business would mean alot to EVERYONE. Everyone that needed a loan would have money and that would definitely change society for the POSITIVE...BUT NO! that's not life right now!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,424,415 times
Quote:
This is a difficult question to answer at best and impossible at worst. The reason is its really a opinion question and some people will like life after the singularity and some people will talk about how life was better before the singularity. Personally I think more people will like it then do not. Take today for example. How many people would really want to live the same way people did back when President Washington was alive? Sure you have some but for the most part people have embraced technology and the benefits it has had on society and I think the same will happen post singularity, after 2030.

Quote:
This question is this to answer is easy: YES. From my studying it I think it will be here by 2030. In fact I am doing what I can to study it a lot so I can be the most prepared I can be for the singularity as it will change life so much.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM

745 posts, read 880,327 times
There is no such thing as a singularity.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,147,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Not yet there isn't.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
While the technological singularity sounds like this cosmic event it's really not. There are two definitions of the technological singularity. The basic one and the engineering one. Both are correct.

The basic one:

When computers sufficiently merge with humans to where if someone from say the 1960's was suddenly transported there would not understand the impact computers has had on society and how they are used in everyday life.

Given how computers the size of blood cells will have thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's by 2030 and we will have millions if not billions of them inside our bodies. The implications of that is even more then we can understand today even though we do know it will impact health and medicine and our intelligence in a big way. That is why I say that the singularity will start by 2030.

The engineering one:

Engineers like Ray Kurzweil tend to use the 2045 date because at that point a computer that costs $1,000 will be a billion times more intelligent then all the humans on the planet today combined. So at that point all the computer models break down.

Now both definitions are accurate its just I think when the average person see's how life has been changed so dramatically by the 2030's they will say the singularity was 2030 even though the engineers will still claim it will be in 2045. So many times I go with a range of 2030-2045 and that is the reason.

That being said the technological singularity is real and will be here. At this point there is nothing that can stop it short of society destroying it self.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-11-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not yet there isn't.
True but we are close. I mean what is 17 years?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM

124 posts, read 116,905 times
Thanks people. I have been reading up on negative opinions on life after the singularity and I wanted a good answer to my question. Cheers.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks people. I have been reading up on negative opinions on life after the singularity and I wanted a good answer to my question. Cheers.
What are some of the negatives you have read about living in a post singularity world?

Old 11-15-2013, 02:57 PM

477 posts, read 409,805 times
I think that at this point, the singularity as merely a concept, has no effect on society outside of the small minority of humans who even have any knowledge or interest in it.

I am personally not optimistic about the more extreme claims of this singularity(greatly increased lifespans, mind uploading..) becoming reality within our lifetimes.
Assuming for the sake of debate however that the near-term projections are roughly accurate, I believe that any capability that has the potential to profoundly alter the way in which life is lived in a sudden manner can result in disruptions, especially if society is not prepared culturally, politically and legally.

I can foresee controversey developing regarding medical advances that allow the superrich to extend life/youth far beyond what is now possible, but the poor & middle classes left to die/age the same as today.

I see no societal disruption to exponential computing power increase..........unless of course, artificial intelligence becomes reality, the consequenses of which would be highly unpredictable. But i am no more sold on this as a physical possibility than I am of mind uploading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology