U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 AM

1,790 posts, read 792,085 times

Advertisements

By Neuroskeptic | December 31, 2013

Lately, there have been increasing numbers of online, unofficial – what might be called vigilante – investigations into published scientific work.

vigilance

The blog Retraction Watch and its comment section are a good example of this. Commenters, often anonymous, will get onto the trail of a certain researcher (generally following a retraction) and scrutinize their publications (e.g. here) looking for plagiarism, image manipulation, statistically improbable data, or other evidence of bad practice.

At last, people are beginning to question “scientific findings” to determine whether or not they're politically motivated or actually good science. This article has lots of links and is well-worth reading @ Science Needs Vigilantes - Neuroskeptic | DiscoverMagazine.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM

11,755 posts, read 27,321,510 times
There is another site that does something similar with plagiarized photos and photographers. I've been doing the fact-checking routine for years and exposing excesses in climate change arguments, asbestos fears, and a host of other issues. Teaching people to question is important.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:23 PM

1,247 posts, read 595,496 times
My day job is fact checking physics papers submitted to us for review and/or publication. Since most is math-related, there's not a such thing as plagiarism as it's math. Unless you want to re-write how 2+2=4.

Politically motivated science is a unique topic. One paper may be motivated by an organization. But one paper doesnt mean anything, it's continued research and experimental validation that actually matter. One paper may raise a few eyebrows, and simply put it on the radar for others to validate.

Now this is for physics mind you......... From the scale of Cosmology to the Quantum side. I dont see papers where people are trying to say that Sugar is good for you because of reasons a, b, or c. I would fathom that this would be a bigger problem in the other areas of science where human well being, climate change, things like that are much easier to fudge than e=mc2.

Ben

Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 AM

1,790 posts, read 792,085 times
I wonder just how many people even think to question a "scientific conclusion"?

Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

1,247 posts, read 595,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Every scientist I know does. Its the public that usually doesnt. :-)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM

5,116 posts, read 2,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
The people assume their conclusion is accurate because they know more than the people. Well, we assume that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology