U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM

372 posts, read 660,049 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for info on a good police digital scanner. I know they are a little pricey, but I need to get some unbiased opinions. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,832,862 times
Have you tried the phone app versions? There's ones for iOS and Android. And also websites that stream, too.

All the fun stuff to listen to is encrypted anyhow.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,042,458 times
A phone app is useless if there is no one streaming what you want to listen to in your area. And again, depending on your area encryption may or may not be an issue, certainly isn't in my listening range.

For the OP, you don't have a whole lot to choose from, the only current brands available are Uniden and GRE/RadioShack, and as GRE has gone under, they are getting hard to find and warranty repair will be a big issue. Whistler has purchased the rights to GRE and will be at some point releasing new products under the Whistler name, but right now the only game in town is Uniden.

And speaking of Uniden, they have already announced 2 new models which should be available for purchase sometime this month, the BCD436HP handheld and the BCD536HP base/mobile, and once these show up you will probably be able to get a good deal on their older models.

Best thing to do is determine what your needs are and see if you can even monitor your area, good place to start is
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

Also keep in mind that if you've never dealt with programming a digital scanner you're in for a big learning curve.

I will be purchasing a new base unit this year, the BCD536HP right now is at the top of my list but I'm waiting to see what Whistler is going to do.

Last edited by NHDave; 01-03-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 PM

372 posts, read 660,049 times
Thanks NHDave. Will keep my eyes open for the new scanners and see what kind of deals I can get on the older models. Programing one I know will be a task, but I'm sure I am up for it. I will check the frequency list and see what is in my area.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
A phone app is useless if there is no one streaming what you want to listen to in your area. And again, depending on your area encryption may or may not be an issue, certainly isn't in my listening range.

For the OP, you don't have a whole lot to choose from, the only current brands available are Uniden and GRE/RadioShack, and as GRE has gone under, they are getting hard to find and warranty repair will be a big issue. Whistler has purchased the rights to GRE and will be at some point releasing new products under the Whistler name, but right now the only game in town is Uniden.

And speaking of Uniden, they have already announced 2 new models which should be available for purchase sometime this month, the BCD436HP handheld and the BCD536HP base/mobile, and once these show up you will probably be able to get a good deal on their older models.

Best thing to do is determine what your needs are and see if you can even monitor your area, good place to start is
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

Also keep in mind that if you've never dealt with programming a digital scanner you're in for a big learning curve.

I will be purchasing a new base unit this year, the BCD536HP right now is at the top of my list but I'm waiting to see what Whistler is going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or