U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 560,677 times

Advertisements

The genie is out of the bottle, it may not be possible to put it back in. We enjoy greater prosperity due to GMO's, and pollute less as a result. If the solution is starvation, and more pollution, maybe I'll stick with GMO's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,183,241 times
I do not think GMO foods are unsafe but I wonder why manufacturers of GMO products are against truth in labeling. Let the consumer make his own choice on what he/she wants to eat.

But that being said, I am skeptical of the larger impact of releasing genetically modified organisms. While I am sure Monsanto and others have made sure they are not creating food that is going to harm people (that after all would be bad for business), I am not so sure on their dedication to understanding long term impact to everything besides people who eat their GMO food. One such impact is the effect on bio-diversity. Diversity is critical to evolution. By suppressing it, we have put ourselves into the position of replacing evolution with genetic engineering.

Another issue is that organisms, like rice or corn, do not exist in their own little worlds - they interact with other organisms and there are co-dependencies. Do we know what all of those are and of all the down-stream effects by upsetting that balance? Almost all genes are multipurpose - a gene will have more than one effect on the phenotype. Do we know what all the effects are for the genes that were added?

My last issue is, where does this all stop? It is a short leap to go from genetically engineered food, to engineered animals, and then on to people. Providing a service to parents wherein they can design super-smart, perfect-body kids is going to be highly lucrative. But then only the rich can afford it, and we have a society stratified by engineered genes.

I think it is a Pandora's box, but as someone said here, it is probably too late anyway.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:27 AM

700 posts, read 954,396 times
If a product is genetically engineered, it can be patented. If it's patented, the company will most likely enforce the patent, which it has every right to. If a large company like, say, Monsanto, DuPont or Dow Chemical control 80 to 90 percent of the corn and soy seed market, they can make if very difficult for farmers NOT to plant anything but their seeds. I'm sure the large multi-national company will claim otherwise for PR purposes.

funny but disturbing articles and video: The Supreme Court won’t stop Monsanto from suing farmers - Salon.com

Monsanto vs Farmer | The Grand Disillusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology