Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Dear Science Communication Professionals: We have a problem.

The National Science Foundation (NSF) delivered news of a pretty shocking poll result: around one in four Americans (yes, that's 25 percent) are unaware that the Earth orbits the sun. Let’s repeat that: One in four Americans — that represents one quarter of the population — when asked probably the most basic question in science (except, perhaps, “Is the Earth flat?” Hint: No.), got the answer incorrect. Suddenly I realized why the Nye vs. Ham debate was so popular.

1 in 4 Americans Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun. Yes, Really. : Discovery News
The US educational system is not designed to create a enlightened, knowledgeable and well informed people but a compliant subservient to authority workforce.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Too many people are more interested in the exploits of 'Honey boo boo' and the idiots on 'housewives of [name any city]' than watching Nature or Nova.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:22 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
When education is viewed solely as preparation for joining the workforce in some capacity, it will never produce well-educated people. While education is a means to that end, education itself has numerous other values to both the person and society. But those things are often lost in the drive to produce "metrics". Not saying students shouldn't be tested on their progress. Just that there seems to be so little time to lead students to an understanding of the value of knowing things beside the next test & forgetting it. That can only be achieved when the goal of education is something more than "preparing you for the workforce".

On the other hand I don't have answers to achieving that. Societal attitudes toward education and educators have created an adversarial attitude that can't help but influence how even students themselves view learning.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:31 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I'm not surprised. Does anyone remember when Sherri Shepard thought Earth was flat?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
To be fair, it was community college. That's a representation of the lowest quality college students... not the entire population of college students.
However, one would think that if someone graduated from high school they would at least know where the countries on our planet are.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
There's a movie called Idocracy. I firmly believe this is how we will end up. I've talked to people who don't know we've been to the Moon, so nothing would surprise me.

Idiocracy (2006) - IMDb
Great movie, and I loved Terry Crews as the President in it, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
To be fair, it was community college. That's a representation of the lowest quality college students... not the entire population of college students.
Oh BS! With the rising costs of Uni's, the fiscally sound choice for new college freshman would be to obtain their core credits at a community college and graduate from there with an associate's degree; then go from there to a University to finish your degree(s).

I have literally seen "card carrying" Mensa members going to CC, while I have seen "40lb water heads" with full sports scholarships at top Uni's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not sure its 1 in 4 but I read 74% although that is still bad.
Isn't 74% basically 1 in 4 anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I guess those Jimmy Dean Sausage Breakfast commercials aren't doing the job of educating the masses.
ROFL, best post on the thread, had to rep you for that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Yet I bet ALL of them, on a multiple choice quiz, when asked, "Who was the most important person who ever lived.", would check the correct box - beside 'The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Junior'.
While he was a great man, I can't say he was THE most important person who ever lived. That's such a subjective question anyway.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
When education is viewed solely as preparation for joining the workforce in some capacity, it will never produce well-educated people. While education is a means to that end, education itself has numerous other values to both the person and society. But those things are often lost in the drive to produce "metrics". Not saying students shouldn't be tested on their progress. Just that there seems to be so little time to lead students to an understanding of the value of knowing things beside the next test & forgetting it. That can only be achieved when the goal of education is something more than "preparing you for the workforce".

On the other hand I don't have answers to achieving that. Societal attitudes toward education and educators have created an adversarial attitude that can't help but influence how even students themselves view learning.
I would change the way US educational system typical school day of classes is structured. The current educational system was structured back when the US industrial system was transforming itself towards Henry Ford's principle of the mass production assembly line as a way of increasing efficiency and production. It is of no coincidence that schools share many of the same characteristics of an assembly line, obsession with time, efficiency and numbers (production estimates and figures). Schools are structured to put out as many product (students) quickly and efficiently as possible. As long that they are certified taught is all that matters whether or not they actually learnt anything. Administrators that accomplish that gets lavishly praised by society with a highly regarded reputation as a excellent administrator accompanied with the financial reward of moving up the education industry totem pole. Then we wonder why kids are not motivated and bored by school. Try being on an assembly line for 8 hours , if you were you couldn't wait for the clock to hit the time where you could punch off the time clock and go home. Change the structure and environment where as each student can study a subject at his own pace with no time restraints as for the student to master and learn the subject as opposed to now when a student might start to get a grasp on a subject the bell goes off signalling time to go to another class where he has to focus on something completely different. Repeat that 6 more times during the day and we see why kids have trouble retaining information and have trouble focusing on one thing. It may seem counter intuitive to not focus on time restraints but by lifting pressure off of students as so that they can relax and learn they probably will learn more in the same time span compared to the mass production assembly line system adopted by the US educational system .

Last edited by Coseau; 02-15-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
If you want to know why this is..... Read this entire post.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind1...07.pdf#page=23

So the question: "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?”

...is most likely answered incorrectly as a result of reading comprehension problems.

Some of the questions are just silly, too.

"The universe began with a huge explosion" True or False.

It's FALSE, there was no "explosion", it is called inflation.

Our tax dollars at work.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
This just in... ...1 in 4 Americans actually believe they live on Earth!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
So the question: "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?”
...is most likely answered incorrectly as a result of reading comprehension problems.

Especially since neither is strictly true and the answer is that there is a barycentric rotation involving all masses in the system. Ask the test creators what barycentric is and watch them Google it.

"The universe began with a huge explosion" True or False.
It's FALSE, there was no "explosion", it is called inflation.

Actually, it would be false (according to current terms) because you cannot BEGIN with an explosion or inflation. Both those occur over time (no matter how short the interval). The universe BEGAN with nothing.

39 Test Answers That Are 100% Wrong But Totally Genius At The Same Time | Distractify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology