U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,464,645 times

Advertisements

In the broader sense of the term, "aliens" could simply mean illegal immigrants :-)

When I lived in Mexico I watched incredulously as three Mexicans with a rope moved my washer & dryer into my townhouse by lifting them onto the roof - no wench or crane. One on the ground, two on the roof, one of whom had the rope looped around his waist - and if either of the other guys slipped, the middle guy would've been cut in half.

And as long as Yac is looking for entertainment, I give you this (couple of words NSFW):

Ylvis - Stonehenge [Official music video HD] - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 AM

4,986 posts, read 7,762,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Newser reports that new studies indicate it might have been impossible for Stone Age Britains to move stones to the current site without special scientific help.

Read for yourself first story @ Source of Stonehenge's Rocks Pinpointed - And it raises questions about how the bluestones got to Stonehenge with link to Did humans transport Stonehenge rocks further than previously thought?

So how does the question about "Aliens" figure into how the rhyolitic bluestones were moved? I read both links, and neither seem to mention or remotely imply anything about aliens. If the bluestones weren't dragged over the hills by people, the it seems at least plausible that they could have been moved and deposited on the plains by glacial activity where they could later have been more easily moved to be used in the structure by the people who found them, even though Dr. Richard Belvins "isn't ready to sign on to that theory". So, no, aliens were not necessary to build Stonehenge. The title of this thread is a red herring.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
So how does the question about "Aliens" figure into how the rhyolitic bluestones were moved? I read both links, and neither seem to mention or remotely imply anything about aliens. If the bluestones weren't dragged over the hills by people, the it seems at least plausible that they could have been moved and deposited on the plains by glacial activity where they could later have been more easily moved to be used in the structure by the people who found them, even though Dr. Richard Belvins "isn't ready to sign on to that theory". So, no, aliens were not necessary to build Stonehenge. The title of this thread is a red herring.
Ancient humans were a great deal smarter than we give them credit for. And without cellphones and the Internet, "building a massive stone calendar" probably seemed like a great idea.

One man in Michigan has shown how a single man could build Stonehenge. The physics of leverage worked just as well in the stone age as they do today.

https://www.asme.org/engineering-top...simple-diy-job

Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
Yeah, the guy in Michigan is a real "rock-it" scientist. The basic principle is the same as the one that lifts rocks in fields during a frost cycle.

Thinking back to the history of logging in New England, HUGE loads of logs were pulled on sledges. All the common moving ideas for the Stonehenge stones are summertime ideas. The ground is harder when frozen in winter, the idea of sleds and sledges is ancient, and nobody would be busy with crops during the winter months.

The start of the whole thing could have been an ancient contest between two mayors of ancient villages after imbibing too much mead.
"Verily, varlet, I challenge thou to a race with each of us riding the largest rocks we can find down the mountside. Whoever goes farthest by spring wins."

"Thou hast rocks in thy head, but I acceptith! Whoever wins buys all the mead for the other town the following year!"

Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Ancient humans were a great deal smarter than we give them credit for. And without cellphones and the Internet, "building a massive stone calendar" probably seemed like a great idea.

One man in Michigan has shown how a single man could build Stonehenge. The physics of leverage worked just as well in the stone age as they do today.

https://www.asme.org/engineering-top...simple-diy-job
I agree. Good link by the way . Ancient people were certainly capable of finding solutions to solve problems and overcome challenges by whatever means they had available. All one has to do is look at the construction of the pyramids of Egypt. For Stonehenge, some of the stones, the rhyolitic bluestones, may have originated in Wales. Not all of the stones are bluestones. Assuming they didn't haul the stones by way of the Bristol Channel, the alternative would be to cross hilly outcrops. I've seen videos of Wally's demonstration before, but I'm not so sure he's moving huge slabs over such terrain as the outcrops of the Preseli Hills (See links below). You could be right, perhaps they did indeed find a suitable method of lugging the stones over the hills. If not though, I don't think it's impossible to think that glaciers could have carried the stones over the hills and left them as deposits somewhere on the plains. It's hard to say. In any case, my point is that it's still a much more plausible alternative possibility than thinking that aliens dunnit.
Sarsen.org: Craig Rhos-y-felin is the likely major source of Stonehenge rhyolitic bluestones

Stonehenge and the Ice Age: Relief Map of the main "bluestone source area"

Acoustic Mapping landscape-perception.com

Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,729,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It got you to read and respond, didn't it?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It got you to read and respond, didn't it?
As I said, aliens were not necessary to build Stonehenge, and the title is a red herring.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 4,352,469 times
Default Evidence I am old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
In the broader sense of the term, "aliens" could simply mean illegal immigrants :-)

When I lived in Mexico I watched incredulously as three Mexicans with a rope moved my washer & dryer into my townhouse by lifting them onto the roof - no wench or crane. One on the ground, two on the roof, one of whom had the rope looped around his waist - and if either of the other guys slipped, the middle guy would've been cut in half.

And as long as Yac is looking for entertainment, I give you this (couple of words NSFW):

Ylvis - Stonehenge [Official music video HD] - YouTube
How can you combine "entertainment" and "Stonehenge" and not immediately think of Spinal Tap.

And to answer the OP, no.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,292,130 times
Quote:
Yac - just curious -- where do you think it should've been posted?
No idea, entertainment maybe ? Religion ?
Anyway having some "science" in the science forum won't hurt nobody and will probably deliver some entertainment to us all

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
It really doesn't take much imagination to figure out the many ways that those Neolithic rubes could have achieved the setting of the stones, the real challenge would have been transporting some of them from distances of 150 miles or more. Flying saucers probably moved those for them and the Aliens showed them how to build the monument and then stood around and snickered, watching the ancient Britains busy themselves with the task. Because after all, it was all a prank by the Aliens to see if they could make these earthlings do something stupid. In exchange they probably taught them how to play soccer and then left and flew to Peru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology