U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM
 
1,519 posts, read 1,153,625 times
Reputation: 1780

Advertisements

3-D printers can now make jewelry, parts for military jets, guns, and now I read that somewhere in Europe they are using a 2-D printer to build a house! What can't a 3-D printer do? As far a jewelry goes I have done some jewelry making and it is a diffecult art to learn because there is so much to it. One has to know how to use waxes, clay(sometimes), metal and more and each thing they use has a language all to itself that must be learned. So it seems that 3-D printers will steal away the masters of the trade. Why buy from a master tradesman when you can get something perfect from a 3-D printer and get it done quickly. So no more master violin makers, sculptors, and everything else. Or am I missing something when I think that 3-D printers will do everything and better than human hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM
 
28,411 posts, read 14,144,643 times
Reputation: 19545
Good BBQ. They'll never be able to do really good BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 AM
pvs
 
1,845 posts, read 2,869,126 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Good BBQ. They'll never be able to do really good BBQ.
Aye! That, and waiting on tables. Looks like another type of job might be in the sights of automation. Might be a good idea to become proficient at 3D printing, which might be a decent-paying job...until it, too, gets fully computerized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,357,583 times
Reputation: 4131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
3-D printers can now make jewelry, parts for military jets, guns, and now I read that somewhere in Europe they are using a 2-D printer to build a house! What can't a 3-D printer do? As far a jewelry goes I have done some jewelry making and it is a diffecult art to learn because there is so much to it. One has to know how to use waxes, clay(sometimes), metal and more and each thing they use has a language all to itself that must be learned. So it seems that 3-D printers will steal away the masters of the trade. Why buy from a master tradesman when you can get something perfect from a 3-D printer and get it done quickly. So no more master violin makers, sculptors, and everything else. Or am I missing something when I think that 3-D printers will do everything and better than human hands?
You have just described technological unemployment.

There was a segment on CNN about this that you should want.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Reputation: 35869
I bet it won't turn lead into gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,069 posts, read 9,003,526 times
Reputation: 29012
I'm waiting for a printer/computer that can function like on Star Trek.

"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,357,583 times
Reputation: 4131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet it won't turn lead into gold.
Soon it will make gold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,357,583 times
Reputation: 4131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm waiting for a printer/computer that can function like on Star Trek.

"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!"
Look at the video. We will have that in less then 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Reno
843 posts, read 1,753,063 times
Reputation: 582
A human has to create the design the 3d printers use.. I know most people have been fed the 'Artificial Intelligence' kool-aid by the media/pundits and press-release repeaters for decades, as of yet there is no such thing and the people working on it will readily admit that with our current technology true A.I. is not possible; only rule based systems that attempt to approximate 'intelligence' in specific areas.

Nobody really wants A.I. anyway it would likely come with a lot of baggage, unpredictability is not what anyone wants from a tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,746 posts, read 3,423,723 times
Reputation: 2526
We will all be long dead before a 3-D printer can create a decent violin, an entire jet, or a complete human organ. They are an interesting and promising technology for sure, but they have been greatly over-hyped in my opinion. All of I've seen come out of them are some crude plastic parts/models and some basic organic tissue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top