U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:20 AM

3,738 posts, read 6,224,410 times

Advertisements

Plates are colliding all over the world forming new mountain ranges, and volcanism will always build up mountains to towering heights. (And erosion from weather is what levels things back out).

Also, I'm sure there will be another super continent in the far off future. They've been forming, splitting up, and forming again for eons.

Last edited by cjg5; 03-03-2014 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,355,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I was under the impression that as one plate slid under another the result was mountains, not flat ground...
Yes, they have found sea shells not far from the summit of Mt. Everest but that is not the only variable at work here. I never heard it before but now that beninfl has mentioned it certainly sounds plausible.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,833,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I was under the impression that as one plate slid under another the result was mountains, not flat ground...

Lets bring some FACTS into what is turning into another laughable Science and Technology comedy thread:

Strange but True: Earth Is Not Round - Scientific American

I'll bet the Sun goes supernova before the Earth becomes perfectly round...
Our Sun isn't massive enough to go supernova. Instead, it will go through a red giant phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes, they have found sea shells not far from the summit of Mt. Everest but that is not the only variable at work here. I never heard it before but now that beninfl has mentioned it certainly sounds plausible.
Mt Everest is still growing as India shoves its way into its Northern border friends. It'll be growing for the next 300 million years, too. What we see now is nothing to what it will be.

But, it also erodes at 1" per year via rain. Eventually, like everything, Earth will be round again.

It's worth noting, that if you were holding Earth in your hand (you've got big hands!), and you ran your finger across it, it would feel smoother than glass. You wouldnt be able to distinguish between oceanic trenches or mountains because there's literally no difference at that scale.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
It's worth noting, that if you were holding Earth in your hand (you've got big hands!), and you ran your finger across it, it would feel smoother than glass. You wouldnt be able to distinguish between oceanic trenches or mountains because there's literally no difference at that scale.
Yes. I have heard that if you took the Earth and shrank it down to the size of a billiard ball, that it would actually be smoother than any actual billiard ball in existence.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,833,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Yes. I have heard that if you took the Earth and shrank it down to the size of a billiard ball, that it would actually be smoother than any actual billiard ball in existence.
This is true, yes. :-)

Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
This is true, yes. :-)
Which has always made me wonder, if you took a billiard ball and blew it up to the size of the Earth, just what would it look like? For example, how much different if you were just to look at medium difference in elevation between the highest peak and the deepest valley as compared to Earth. Or how much more or less ragged and jagged it would be. Stuff like that.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 3,585 times
Default Earthquake reserch

The statistics presented are quite interesting as it seems that Oklahoma lies in a seismic zone which is earthquake prone. An earthquake which hits rector scale with a high value can cause devastating effects to human life and properties. Extensive research activities by means of sophisticated instruments such as magnetic gradiometers can make earthquake prediction a reality there by minimizing the causalities. Researchers focus on studying the magnetic field patterns and variation in magnetic amplitudes which is caused prior to happening of earthquakes.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 PM

13,092 posts, read 12,496,860 times
Nine small earthquakes in Payne, Noble counties over weekend Local News Stillwater News Press

Recent Oklahoma Earthquakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology