U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM

836 posts, read 1,310,033 times

Advertisements

I think it's because there is a large team of coders they need to keep busy; it certainly isn't to make the majority of users happy.

YouTube I used for years; now need a night class to find the freakin In box.

Google maps sucks more ways than I care to list but primarily taking well-labeled items away, making you type "near" instead of clicking Search Nearby - it's like going backwards.

Yahoo mail redesign provoked plenty of outrage but they're not listening.

Seems like they want us to quit using this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 PM

843 posts, read 1,753,667 times
As a software developer I can shed some light on this. A lot depends on culture, some things are developed in a vacuum where user feedback is ignored/not solicited or replaced by marketing wonks who *think* they know what users want/need. Other projects will get good feedback from users, however it's often filtered through sales/marketing and then to the designers who interpret what customers want and then feed that to programmers.

Software development is a balancing act, you're often pressured by marketing/sales to get new features into a system that may have been developed a long time ago (I just added features to a system that is at least 80% 30 year old code) timelines sometimes don't allow for as much QA time as you'd like or refactoring just isn't feasible.

And then on top of that you have tons and tons of paper tigers getting hired as programmer because they have a "degree" (even big universities are becoming diploma mills) and the people hiring them have no clue and cannot possibly screen out the people who shouldn't be programming.

And on top of that you have windows (if you're writing for that), patches often break things or introduce new bugs or simply make a paradigm shift that you MUST adjust to. Same with Mac, lesser so with Linux (at least that one you can keep abreast of changes, MS/Mac both do not communicate well with developers).

There are many other factors, that just off the top of my head.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,635,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
As a software developer I can shed some light on this. A lot depends on culture, some things are developed in a vacuum where user feedback is ignored/not solicited or replaced by marketing wonks who *think* they know what users want/need. Other projects will get good feedback from users, however it's often filtered through sales/marketing and then to the designers who interpret what customers want and then feed that to programmers.

Software development is a balancing act, you're often pressured by marketing/sales to get new features into a system that may have been developed a long time ago (I just added features to a system that is at least 80% 30 year old code) timelines sometimes don't allow for as much QA time as you'd like or refactoring just isn't feasible.

And then on top of that you have tons and tons of paper tigers getting hired as programmer because they have a "degree" (even big universities are becoming diploma mills) and the people hiring them have no clue and cannot possibly screen out the people who shouldn't be programming.

And on top of that you have windows (if you're writing for that), patches often break things or introduce new bugs or simply make a paradigm shift that you MUST adjust to. Same with Mac, lesser so with Linux (at least that one you can keep abreast of changes, MS/Mac both do not communicate well with developers).

There are many other factors, that just off the top of my head.
This is funny. I have been in the software business for several decades. There is no worse group of people to decide how software should work than developers. I have worked with hundreds, many brilliant, and they have done fantastic work. But many also refuse to acknowledge that the software they think is intuitive is only intuitive to themselves or other developers.

The marketing people of course often have no clue. They don't appreciate how hard it is to develop reliable software. But a good marketing person or product manager is an important part of the team to develop easy to use, commercially successful software.

In my experience, Windows patches rarely affect anything at all except the problem they fix. And as a vendor partner of Microsoft in the past, they do a very good job keeping their software development community informed of upcoming changes.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM

843 posts, read 1,753,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This is funny. I have been in the software business for several decades. There is no worse group of people to decide how software should work than developers. I have worked with hundreds, many brilliant, and they have done fantastic work. But many also refuse to acknowledge that the software they think is intuitive is only intuitive to themselves or other developers.
30 years here, started writing shareware for BBS's. I think you mean 'how software UI should work', not how software should work internally? I'd agree with that, I suck as UI design.. and I know it.
Quote:
The marketing people of course often have no clue. They don't appreciate how hard it is to develop reliable software. But a good marketing person or product manager is an important part of the team to develop easy to use, commercially successful software.
It's all give and take, I know when to dig in my heels on an issue.. and when to let them slide.. that's a pretty important part of the process.. and keeps me working.
Quote:
In my experience, Windows patches rarely affect anything at all except the problem they fix. And as a vendor partner of Microsoft in the past, they do a very good job keeping their software development community informed of upcoming changes.
Here's a specific example of a windows update breaking something that otherwise worked. Win7 update 1 broke the TCP/IP stack for a specific scenario and it's been broken ever since (same in win8). In short the stack will allocated dynamic ports that are already open in listening mode resulting in a client port that just echos back to itself (never talks to the listening port).

More recently we've found that some win7 update has made DCOM use ipv6 even if ipv6 is disabled AND to top that off it often gets confused about who it's supposed to talk to and sends DCOM packets to the wrong ipv6 address mid conversation. So far we haven't found the perfect solution to that one and a few dozen of our customers are having intermittent problems due to that. Yes I know, stop using DCOM..preaching to the choir..

Those are just a couple of examples, over the years I've had to deal with 100's of update breakages due to undocumented (at least not publicly documented) security defaults changes as well as other issues.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:57 AM

7,154 posts, read 5,958,670 times
google removed underlining from their search results. YUCK.. it reminds me of reddit... no article separation just one big jumble of text. I like something that would be a divider from one search result or article to another. I don't use reddit for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or