U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM

4,992 posts, read 7,780,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
Problem is it's so bad that it sometimes makes me physically ill. Maybe I'm irrational and can get someone to help me embrace the advances. I feel doomed. And I'm not really an old person. I just had dreams when I was young that were crushed because of these things happening.

I'm kind of having the blues right now, and it is preventing me from living my life.
Technology can seem to be pretty overwhelming sometimes, but you're certainly not doomed. You don't have to accept or even like everything that comes along. There's so much variety that you can pretty much pick and choose whatever interests you. If you're feeling stressed out, you might want to consider going on a vacation somewhere for a few weeks to relax, unwind and experience other interesting characteristics and views of life. Try a foreign country, such as in SE Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 PM

15,026 posts, read 16,613,443 times
I can't wait until people replace real human relationships with artificial intelligences. So much neater than the messy, real thing. And then the AIs can rise against us and wipe us off the earth. Then they can evolve into hipster AIs and, like, really get into the warmth of 35mm film and analog sound recording.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,827,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post

Take my office, for example. The assistant RE is an old guy in his 60's. He is so anti-technology that he won't accept anything that was printed out in a report. He believes a report is more genuine if it is completely hand written, hand drawn, etc. Late last year, the RE went out of state, leaving the old guy in charge. One of the guys here turned in a report with an excel spreadsheet. The old guy kicked it back to him telling him to rewrite everything by hand. Hand written calculations. Hand written everything. Lucky me, it wasn't me that had to deal with that. I had a different assignment at the time.

Not a very good example of old folks hating tech. That's just a strange dude.

If he's 65, there's no reason for someone who came of age in the 60's-70's to expect things to be hand written.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM

4,992 posts, read 7,780,700 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, your view is in the minority among older people. Most older people I know hate technology. They hate skype. They hate online shopping. Some go as far as hating anything techie.
Whoa! Hold on a second there Rosie. That's nonsense and wild generalization. Do you really believe that? People in the 1960's and 1970's, even long before then, were adapting to technological changes, albeit different than what there is today. People still took advantage of what was available. Lemme think, technology landed people on the moon for the very first time ever on July 20, 1969. Apart from the technology available at the time, there isn't much difference in terms of adapting to technological changes. Old folks today are using technology just fine, and seem to be enjoying the conveniences. Look around. There are loads of senior citizens out and about chatting on their cell phones, cooking with microwave ovens and digital cook stoves, use home desktop or laptop computers, purchase e-tickets to fly around the world, use digital video cameras, and even do online banking and draw money out of ATMs. If it wasn't for what those old fogies were doing in the past, we wouldn't have what there is today.

Granted, some people are content with using older things they have because it works just fine for them, but so what? There's nothing wrong with that. But that's a far cry from suggesting that most old people hate technology, hate skype, hate online shopping, and hate anything that's remotely techie. Maybe some people do "hate" it, but i think it's probably more a matter of simply not understanding it, or being confused about it, or not feel a particular need for certain things. Technology is a very broad subject.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,386,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I can't wait until people replace real human relationships with artificial intelligences. So much neater than the messy, real thing. And then the AIs can rise against us and wipe us off the earth. Then they can evolve into hipster AIs and, like, really get into the warmth of 35mm film and analog sound recording.
It won't be a us versus them. They are not coming from Mars. We will merge with the technology and create a new race. Trans-humanism.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM

3,502 posts, read 4,374,948 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, your view is in the minority among older people. Most older people I know hate technology. They hate skype. They hate online shopping. Some go as far as hating anything techie.

Take my office, for example. The assistant RE is an old guy in his 60's. He is so anti-technology that he won't accept anything that was printed out in a report. He believes a report is more genuine if it is completely hand written, hand drawn, etc. Late last year, the RE went out of state, leaving the old guy in charge. One of the guys here turned in a report with an excel spreadsheet. The old guy kicked it back to him telling him to rewrite everything by hand. Hand written calculations. Hand written everything. Lucky me, it wasn't me that had to deal with that. I had a different assignment at the time.

The RE and I have been working on a line of business software that will make everything easier for our engineers to work. Makes everything faster. And it will eliminate a lot of the common errors. The old guy I was talking about is all against it. He keeps asking questions like "how do we know the computer won't make a mistake...?". No matter how many times we keep trying to tell him that nobody is suggesting we let the computer do all the work, that our engineers would be doing the work with the new tool, he's still adamantly against using any sort of computer printout for a report. He keeps calling them fake reports.

It's always guys like this that keep industries from progressing.
...dumb question. What is an RE?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,883,936 times
Quote:

The RE and I have been working on a line of business software that will make everything easier for our engineers to work. Makes everything faster. And it will eliminate a lot of the common errors. The old guy I was talking about is all against it. He keeps asking questions like "how do we know the computer won't make a mistake...?". No matter how many times we keep trying to tell him that nobody is suggesting we let the computer do all the work, that our engineers would be doing the work with the new tool, he's still adamantly against using any sort of computer printout for a report. He keeps calling them fake reports.

It's always guys like this that keep industries from progressing.
So you base your "old people" outlook on one person?

Even us old folks know computers don't make mistakes, it's the programmers who make mistakes.

In my circle of "old folks" friends (around 10 of us) we all to one degree or another appreciate the advances in technology. Even my sister-in-law who despises things changing has an iPhone, iPad and Windows desktop.

And BTW, WTF is an RE?

Retired Employee?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM

16,896 posts, read 51,472,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So you base your "old people" outlook on one person?

Even us old folks know computers don't make mistakes, it's the programmers who make mistakes.

In my circle of "old folks" friends (around 10 of us) we all to one degree or another appreciate the advances in technology. Even my sister-in-law who despises things changing has an iPhone, iPad and Windows desktop.

And BTW, WTF is an RE?

Retired Employee?
"computers don't make mistakes, it's the programmers who make mistakes."

LOL! Computers are less likely to be the cause of errors, but it ain't all programmers. Reminding you that the first computer bug was a REAL bug. Programmers have no control on when components fail, wires corrode, fan bearings seize, and so on. Changes in hardware and operating systems also can have negative effects.

Many "advances" and "upgrades" in technology are anything but.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 PM

124 posts, read 116,570 times
I know this sounds like a very unhealthy fear to have. I didn't use to feel this way. Actually, I used to love new technology. But something must've happened, I became less interested and even depressed at the overwhelming thought of new advances in technology. I wish I was more a normal young man.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,193,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
I consider myself to be in the "technology is good" camp. But I really think there should come a point where we stop advancing and inventing new things. Try to prove that premise as false, but some things make it seem as if I'm living in a high-tech nightmare. In motion picture technology, the studios killed off 35mm film, and I thought moviegoing was supposed to be a magical experience. It's not even niche anymore. And if it does only remain a niche, who under 60 is into film anyways? I guess I'm old-school because my philosophy on a few modern advances. I can write a whole book. How can mankind escape this orwellian nightmare? Or how can we steer the progress in a better direction?
Sounds like you getting old; OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or