U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,840,265 times

Advertisements

I sometimes wish technology would speed up.

Smart phones have been smart for a little while now. Tablets aren't a huge leap from laptops. I'm ready for the next great leap forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 03:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,839,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I sometimes wish technology would speed up.

Smart phones have been smart for a little while now. Tablets aren't a huge leap from laptops. I'm ready for the next great leap forward.
Try a ChromeBook. Its the best of both worlds!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,267,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Unfortunately, your view is in the minority among older people. Most older people I know hate technology. They hate skype. They hate online shopping. Some go as far as hating anything techie.

Take my office, for example. The assistant RE is an old guy in his 60's. He is so anti-technology that he won't accept anything that was printed out in a report. He believes a report is more genuine if it is completely hand written, hand drawn, etc. Late last year, the RE went out of state, leaving the old guy in charge. One of the guys here turned in a report with an excel spreadsheet. The old guy kicked it back to him telling him to rewrite everything by hand. Hand written calculations. Hand written everything. Lucky me, it wasn't me that had to deal with that. I had a different assignment at the time.

The RE and I have been working on a line of business software that will make everything easier for our engineers to work. Makes everything faster. And it will eliminate a lot of the common errors. The old guy I was talking about is all against it. He keeps asking questions like "how do we know the computer won't make a mistake...?". No matter how many times we keep trying to tell him that nobody is suggesting we let the computer do all the work, that our engineers would be doing the work with the new tool, he's still adamantly against using any sort of computer printout for a report. He keeps calling them fake reports.

It's always guys like this that keep industries from progressing.
It's not that old people hate technology. Old people don't understand modern technology. Old people are also against change, no matter how positive it might be. These two things combined make it look like they hate technology. But that's just how their ignorance and adamancy is perceived. Of course there are exceptions.

Contrary to what you believe, these old people are not prohibiting industries from progressing. New ideas from new people will progress with or without old people.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM

124 posts, read 116,791 times
OK, it's not like it's progress itself that's "bad", I sometimes find myself disappointed over the direction it's heading in. I do want to buy one of those 3D printers though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or