U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,732,486 times

Advertisements

Just been thinking about this and wanted to share those thoughts.

For years, I've had one company for my land line, another for my cell phone, and yet another for my TV and internet. I've semi-paid attention to the various ads dealing with the latest in phone services and our tv is inundated with ads for various tv/internet services.

Then, our years-old cell phone kept dropping calls or was almost intelligible. So we went to the cell company store and got a new phone. The clerk said something about also putting our land line service under them for a ridiculous price compared to what we've been paying. By converting to them, we would save almost $40 per month. They were going to say something about tv and internet but we shut them off at that point.

So, my question is what is the future of telecommunications? All of our communications in a single node? Under a single provider? Still free enterprise?

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,913,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

So, my question is – what is the future of telecommunications? All of our communications in a single node? Under a single provider? Still free enterprise?

Just wondering.
Well, the way it stands right now, there are only a handful of companies that provide TV and internet. Across most of the country, you'd be lucky to find more than 2 providers. It is about the same for cell phone providers. In bigger cities you will have a bit of competition, but in mid-sized cities, etc. - there will be no more than 2-3 cell phone providers.

So, there is little to no competition and these service providers can get away with shoddy service
- high cell phone prices (one of the highest in the world)
- slow internet speeds (slowest in the developed world)
- expensive tv packages

What will happen eventually, is some sort of technological paradigm shift. A few breaks in technology and you will be able to stream content entirely online (tv cable - gone!). This is already happening via Hulu, Netflix and devices like Chromecast and Roku - where you can stream content via the internet and cut the cable. What we need is live tv online.

Eventually, you will be able to place phone calls entirely online with excellent voice quality. You can do this to a certain extent right now - but I am taking about a complete paradigm shift - maybe another 1-2 years. Some new version of Google Voice - phone number and service, all over the internet.

Google already provides super fast and cheap internet in some areas (https://fiber.google.com/about/). Once internet becomes universal (everywhere and all the time) - we can bid farewell to the cell phone and cable crooks!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,393,551 times
Quote:
Just been thinking about this and wanted to share those thoughts.

For years, I've had one company for my land line, another for my cell phone, and yet another for my TV and internet. I've semi-paid attention to the various ads dealing with the latest in phone services and our tv is inundated with ads for various tv/internet services.

Then, our years-old cell phone kept dropping calls or was almost intelligible. So we went to the cell company store and got a new phone. The clerk said something about also puttihttp://www.city-data.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=34000845ng our land line service under them for a ridiculous price compared to what we've been paying. By converting to them, we would save almost $40 per month. They were going to say something about tv and internet but we shut them off at that point.

So, my question is – what is the future of telecommunications? All of our communications in a single node? Under a single provider? Still free enterprise?

Just wondering.
so basically a provider that offers 'triple play svcs' wants you to convert your landline to voip

so the question is do you have a problem with having AT&T uverse / Verizon Fios covert you to a voip line?

do you have a security system or medical monitoring system or something along those lines that may require a landline?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,715,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Eventually, you will be able to place phone calls entirely online with excellent voice quality. You can do this to a certain extent right now
My business has been using VoIP since the day we opened - almost six years ago.

VoIP is a LOT more mature than you think it is.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,913,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My business has been using VoIP since the day we opened - almost six years ago.

VoIP is a LOT more mature than you think it is.
I think I know quite a bit about VoIP. I was simply saying that you cannot fully substitute cell phone providers with free VoIP service ... YET.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,732,486 times
Can I ask what VoIP is?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM

3,918 posts, read 7,567,896 times
Quote:
Can I ask what VoIP is?
Voice over IP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,835,685 times
Quote:
Can I ask what VoIP is?
Voice Over IP. AKA Vonage. AKA Skype. AKA Google Voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology