U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 559,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Is Science and Technology stagnating?
Not yet, give it another few generations, and in the U.S. this will be true. We are graduating an amazing number of scientifically and mathematically illiterate people in the states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,422 posts, read 32,239,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
rich man like Steve Jobs and man like Patrick Swayze that leaves you in shock how primitive the health care is.
If you read the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Jacobsen, Steve Jobs himself admitted that his stubborn insistence on treating his cancer with natural methods in the first few months after diagnosis, rather than the more aggressive treatment recommended by his doctors, led to his disease becoming incurable. The medical professionals interviewed by the author all said that he would have lived longer with more conventional treatment. Steve Jobs thought he was smarter than his doctors. Alas, he wasn't.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,734,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Not yet, give it another few generations, and in the U.S. this will be true. We are graduating an amazing number of scientifically and mathematically illiterate people in the states.
And isn't this well reflected in the subtopics of this forum? Cell phones, computers, consumer electronics, internet, space, tablets. One hard science and six inter-related electronics technologies. That says it all. Where people can get hands on and become part of a science, it gets attention. Technology from the science of electronics but I'll wager that 99.9% of us do not understand one iota of the "why" it works. We just know it does and thank goodness.

Interesting connection between your comment, Zot, and those sub-topics. Don't you agree? Nothing wrong with them, of course. Just that it shows how we can get involved when the results involve us. Other than people on the west coast - and perhaps a few in the New Madrid area - how many know or care about plate tectonics - if they even know the term? Education and personal involvement are the keys. Hands on.

So, if we can find a way and time to teach more science, it will be learned and more progress will be made - although I disagree that there has been no progress/improvement. How did we get from the idiot box that only let us stare to the computer that let us do hands on?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
In the next 15 years we will merge with computers then we will be able to read and understand the entire knowledge of the human race in a few minutes. Imagine the impact that will have on society. That is why long term projections like the one you just made are simply wrong.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,734,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In the next 15 years we will merge with computers then we will be able to read and understand the entire knowledge of the human race in a few minutes. Imagine the impact that will have on society. That is why long term projections like the one you just made are simply wrong.
Imagine not having the freedom to think for oneself.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 AM

854 posts, read 1,038,102 times
I don't think it's stagnating, but I don't think it's accelerating like commonly believed either. I think there is steady progress being made.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I don't think it's stagnating, but I don't think it's accelerating like commonly believed either. I think there is steady progress being made.
Two things to look up:

Moore's law and the law of accelerating returns.

So not only is technology advancing faster but that rate is, also, going faster.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Imagine not having the freedom to think for oneself.
Or imagine having more freedom. Technology is the ultimate equalizer and not in a negative sense but a positive one.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:19 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,077,722 times
Stagnation?? Even with the internet it would take me every waking moment to keep up with the latest invention, computational technology to say nothing of breakthroughs in bio-mechanical and genetic research.

Last edited by ovcatto; 04-10-2014 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Stagnation?? Even with the internet it would take me every waking moment to keep up with the lasted invention, computational technology to say nothing of breakthroughs in bio-mechanical and genetic research.
Once we merge with the technology that will not be a problem.

Listen to the trailer for a move as it is exactly what will happen by 2030. Moore's law guarantees it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or