U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,971,302 times

Advertisements

Ahh, no cell phones. Those days.... Were different.

Some of us had pagers. But not everyone. You sent a page in code to certain friends. A huge long message could be sent in a page or two. Haha. Simpler times.

Now things are different. But its just a different way of communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 PM

356 posts, read 1,013,597 times
I have recently shut off all notifications on my phone after work and I don't surf the web or anything after work hrs.. it is very peaceful.. it was always pinging and I felt obligated to answer people just talking about nonsence.. now I have my nights to myself and my kids, as it should be.

I do like having the choice. like right now I feel like chit chatting about randomness so here I am

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,534,781 times
No I like it.I talk to more family members now than ever.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,047,453 times
The main thing I would miss would be the music. The radio nowadays plays absolute garbage, and I'm a total beatfreak, so that just wouldn't cut it for me..

Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,513,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I will say, it isn't that I don't want the internet. I'm just in no hurry.

I certainly won't be on facebook when I am though. I did that once, years ago, and it was crappola.
Mostly use the internet to watch movies, my phone is primarily a music player and the phone part is handy, but I hate talking on the phone.... And Facebook is complete rubbish.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,338,976 times
I remember it and life is sooooo much easier now with it.
My job would consume even more time from my life without it. My family is all over the country too...it's nice to keep up with them.

However, I'm not married to it either. My phone is off from 8:30 am to 5:00 everyday during the week. The only way someone can get in touch is via phone and then the secretary takes a message for me.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,972,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I will say, it isn't that I don't want the internet. I'm just in no hurry.

I certainly won't be on facebook when I am though. I did that once, years ago, and it was crappola.
Signs of hope, lol
We should start an anti Facebook revolution

Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,404,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Signs of hope, lol
We should start an anti Facebook revolution
Or live and let live.
If you don't like facebook that's ok. You don't have to and I support you.

I however would not like to see an anti-facebook revolution and would like to continue using it for what I use it for.

We can all co-exist and live in peace.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM

61 posts, read 87,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Or live and let live.
If you don't like facebook that's ok. You don't have to and I support you.

I however would not like to see an anti-facebook revolution and would like to continue using it for what I use it for.

We can all co-exist and live in peace.
I somewhat agree, we who do not use it can live without it in peace, for the most part. Recently someone took a photo of a person that had a very important position at a large company and posted it on facebook. It wasn't a bad picture(ugly sweater party), but he was goofing off and when he got to work then next day someone had printed it and hung it in his office. He is the boss of around 150 people. It was harmless for the most part but his concern was that someone would crop the photo to be something it wasn't. That type of thing happens a lot at that facility and i'm sure many others. He found out who posted it and had it taken off immediately and nothing came of it.

The problem with this situation is he doesn't have a fb account and wants nothing to do with it. I believe, if someone has a FB account you should be respectful of others that do not. Don't post a picture or write something about someone unless you have their consent. FB def gets out of hand, but I don't know if i believe in an anti-FB revolution. Maybe something like a anti-FB over-use please respect my privacy if I don't have an account revolution! lol

Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM

9,739 posts, read 5,666,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Imagine what it would be like without the internet, or cell phones. I know that both are very useful but imagine how peaceful life would be. A normal day would be wake up, go to work, come home and check messages on your answering machine, maybe make a call or two, eat dinner, do something constructive, watch a show or two and go to bed. There would be no random calls, or texts throughout the day. Imagine no Facebook! You wouldn't know what a random person was doing at any given time anymore. You would only know what the people that you care about were doing. I would be nice, but its definitely a thing of the past!
I could survive without the internet and a cell phone. They're not a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or