Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't have to imagine it, I remember it well
I remember it too! Glad our memories are working well

I also remember having to answer each and every call, not knowing who it was before you answered it! I can dodge the unknown calls now! I like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Imagine what it would be like without the internet, or cell phones. I know that both are very useful but imagine how peaceful life would be. A normal day would be wake up, go to work, come home and check messages on your answering machine, maybe make a call or two, eat dinner, do something constructive, watch a show or two and go to bed. There would be no random calls, or texts throughout the day. Imagine no Facebook! You wouldn't know what a random person was doing at any given time anymore. You would only know what the people that you care about were doing. I would be nice, but its definitely a thing of the past!

I don't have to imagine any of this, at the age of 53 I have already lived it. You can also choose to be without these things if you want. They are not required to live your life, have it all shut off and you don't have to imagine any longer.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't have to imagine it, I remember it well
As do I.

And we pretty much have that every time we go camping at our favorite spot. No internet, and we generally don't use our phones for the weekend. Don't need 'em.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
What a beautiful life. Imagine a world without books!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I'm in the group that doesn't have to imagine it. We wore penny loafers so we would have a dime to make an emergency phone call home. We read the news paper to find out what was going on in the world or we actually write letters to friends far away, in cursive. We all shared one phone that was attached to the wall in the living room which made it difficult to have a private conversation with your bf. And you didn't dare answer the phone during supper time.

I have a regular cell phone, a laptop and a kindle which I enjoy. I use the kindle to listen to books at work when Im not checking out CD or FB. At home my phone usually stays in the car unless Im expecting a call and I use the internet to check the weather or watch a movie on Netflix.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Imagine life without internet; we would not be posting in CD atm!

Aside of the joke;
I remember when internet first became popular and my family started using it. I was in middle school.

I cannot see myself living without internet now.
Youtube is not only a form of entertainment, but it is also a form of information.
Several examples:
1. One day I took shower and for some reason got a neck pain that made me unable to look up. I found some tips on how to massage my neck step by step with soothing music on youtube.
2. I moved from FL to PA. I did not want to drive in PA so I tried to find an apartment that is close to train station. I also want to know what is surrounding my area. I found a recent youtube video of people driving thru the PA suburbs with their camera on. I got a glimpse as what I would be dealing with once I moved to PA.
3. I lived in a rented apartment. I would liek to know how to decorate my apartment cheaply with DIY projects. There are videos tutorial on youtube which I use.

Same with other social media. I organized my elementary school reunion (yep we did it!) thru facebook.

But I imagine if people was able to live without internet / cellie back then, I think it is something doable.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
I don't have to imagine it. I lived it for the first 30 years of my life. Yes I lived just fine without it. But I rather like technology and find it quite useful. And in another 30 years people will consider these things archaic and simple I am sure.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:51 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
i was using my cell phone one day and just had an epiphany that this damn phone is like 10x more powerful than the desktop computer i had when i first got on the internet

i still have that beige box in my house, i'm talking like 1996 a windows 95 machine, pentium 233, AOL 3.0 "you got mail!" on dialup

SMH

---

as far as imagining life w/o LOL... i grew up w/o these things

filed taxes with a paper form, mailed bills, etc

talked to people in real life (no texting, no social network nonsense)

cell phone and internets are dandy and all but noone would cease to exist if they shut down

Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
Prior to about 1998 this is how most people lived!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM

318 posts, read 609,146 times
No need to imagine life without the internet / cell phones. I, along with millions of others, grew up without either of those and got along just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology