U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,638,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
At least people interacted more back then.
The Internet and social media has been a virtual boon to misanthropes. (Yes, the pun was intended. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 PM

10,351 posts, read 12,473,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
No need to imagine, I can remember.
I remember this too. Some people had beepers, which required finding a pay phone to call the person beeping . Nowadays it may be easier to find Jimmy Hoffa and the crashed Roswell flying saucer then a working payphone.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,638,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I remember this too. Some people had beepers, which required finding a pay phone to call the person beeping . Nowadays it may be easier to find Jimmy Hoffa and the crashed Roswell flying saucer then a working payphone.
That is a recent phenomena due to the prevailing use of cellular phones. There were still lots of payphones around during most the 1990s. Pocket pagers, while in use since the 1950s by doctors and other emergency personnel, really did not become popular until the 1980s. By the 1970s most of the major universities already provided access to the Internet, although there was no such thing as "social media" then.

In many respects, things have not changed that much since the 1970s. If you called someone and did not get an answer, you could either leave a message or call back later. Although today you also have other choices such as e-mail or texting.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 PM

10,351 posts, read 12,473,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is a recent phenomena due to the prevailing use of cellular phones. There were still lots of payphones around during most the 1990s. Pocket pagers, while in use since the 1950s by doctors and other emergency personnel, really did not become popular until the 1980s. By the 1970s most of the major universities already provided access to the Internet, although there was no such thing as "social media" then.

In many respects, things have not changed that much since the 1970s. If you called someone and did not get an answer, you could either leave a message or call back later. Although today you also have other choices such as e-mail or texting.
Most I saw here in NY you needed a hazmat suit to use it safely. Still do.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 PM

20,945 posts, read 22,532,062 times
It looks like lots of people here don't have to imagine life without cell phones, the Internet or Facebook because they have lived without them me being one of them. I still don't live with Facebook and it is only recently I obtained a cell phone which I use so seldom it has 4,000 minutes on it and doesn't take pictures.

A thing of the past not to use electronic devices? Not for everyone, not yet anyway. Most of my friends either don't have them or if they do, don't use them all that often. Few people I know are on Facebook and those who have cell phones use them only when needed. But then I suppose that may be a generational thing because my friends and I are of a generation that did not grow up with these things. We actually talk on the phone, meet in person and some of us even (gasp) write letters to long distance friends, in cursive handwriting!

I tend to use technology as needed; it doesn't use me. I like the Internet because it's useful to me. My Kindle is helpful because I can make the fonts large enough to read. I do not need a telephone that is smarter than me and I don't need to know what people are doing 24/7 on Facebook. I really feel sorry for the OP since he seems to be tied to a way of life for which he feels there is no viable alternative. I suspect there are others who are growing up with all these things around them who are not embracing them to the point in which they are such slaves to these things. At least I hope that is true.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 PM

2,975 posts, read 3,903,867 times
Well my job requires the internet (as does City Data ), so I'd be pretty screwed...

There is such a thing as not having every single Facebook notification make a alert sound on your phone (turn off notifications), and simply not answering calls from numbers you don't recognize or don't need to talk with "right now," they can leave a message...like you did with telemarketers in the "good old days!" Not to mention putting your phone in airplane mode when you go out for a run...you still have it for the music and in case of an emergency. Plenty of ways to still have the internet and smart phones and not feel like you're a slave to your phone.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,743,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Other choices such as punch 21 buttons and never get a reply after all your energies?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,743,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It looks like lots of people here don't have to imagine life without cell phones, the Internet or Facebook because they have lived without them me being one of them. I still don't live with Facebook and it is only recently I obtained a cell phone which I use so seldom it has 4,000 minutes on it and doesn't take pictures.

A thing of the past not to use electronic devices? Not for everyone, not yet anyway. Most of my friends either don't have them or if they do, don't use them all that often. Few people I know are on Facebook and those who have cell phones use them only when needed. But then I suppose that may be a generational thing because my friends and I are of a generation that did not grow up with these things. We actually talk on the phone, meet in person and some of us even (gasp) write letters to long distance friends, in cursive handwriting!

I tend to use technology as needed; it doesn't use me. I like the Internet because it's useful to me. My Kindle is helpful because I can make the fonts large enough to read. I do not need a telephone that is smarter than me and I don't need to know what people are doing 24/7 on Facebook. I really feel sorry for the OP since he seems to be tied to a way of life for which he feels there is no viable alternative. I suspect there are others who are growing up with all these things around them who are not embracing them to the point in which they are such slaves to these things. At least I hope that is true.
Like write thank you notes when receiving gifts or being treated to something special. Gracious! Even the words "thank you" have gone by the wayside.

Great post and every word so true, Minervah. Thanks for restoring our faith that some people still live in the real world.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 PM

30,426 posts, read 31,333,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Imagine what it would be like without the internet, or cell phones. I know that both are very useful but imagine how peaceful life would be. A normal day would be wake up, go to work, come home and check messages on your answering machine, maybe make a call or two, eat dinner, do something constructive, watch a show or two and go to bed. There would be no random calls, or texts throughout the day. Imagine no Facebook! You wouldn't know what a random person was doing at any given time anymore. You would only know what the people that you care about were doing. I would be nice, but its definitely a thing of the past!
I don't have to imagine this as none of these things were around during my childhood. Not having internet, cellphones or Facebook did not make life more peaceful just different from life now.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I am not on it much when I am home but I would die if I couldn't get on the internet during the day at work. I wouldn't be able to stay awake!!
I love that I have a job where I am finally awaaaaaay from a computer all day, am not allowed to use or even have a smartphone on the floor...I prefer a job that consists almost entirely of interacting with people face-to-face, and where I don't have to deal with answering a bunch of work e-mails, etc. My entire career is based around face-to-face interaction with real people.

I'd be screwed if I couldn't stay awake at work without internet access...there would be a lot of students not getting taught while I snoozed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or