Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,955,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Imagine what it would be like without the internet, or cell phones. I know that both are very useful but imagine how peaceful life would be. A normal day would be wake up, go to work, come home and check messages on your answering machine, maybe make a call or two, eat dinner, do something constructive, watch a show or two and go to bed. There would be no random calls, or texts throughout the day. Imagine no Facebook! You wouldn't know what a random person was doing at any given time anymore. You would only know what the people that you care about were doing. I would be nice, but its definitely a thing of the past!
Just go home and watch TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 679,250 times
Quote:
Imagine life without the internet/cell phones! (cd, messages)
No need to imagine, I can remember.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,385,337 times
The ironic thing is we will not have cell phones much longer...

Computers have been getting smaller and closer to our faces since their very beginning.

First they were in big rooms, then they sat on desktops, then they sat on our laps, and now they're in our palms. Next they'll be on our faces.

(Eventually they'll be in our brains.)

Read more: The End Of The Smartphone Era Is Coming - Business Insider

So can I imagine life without cellphones? Actually yes because we will not have them in a few years.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,065,266 times
For those of us in our mid 60s+ most can definitely remember a time before cell phones and computers heck i didnt even see my first tv till i was around 11 yrs old.
What did we do? we usually played outside till mom called us in for supper, after that we usually had household chores and homework to take care of,then we'd all sit around the radio and listen to some series, reading books was always part of the evening activity and frequently we'd practice on a musical instrument we also played board games several times a week we also did a lot of talking to each other.., i dont remember ever being bored.
Many people today seem to live their lives vicariously through a video screen or a phone device stuck in their ear..I can only imagine what we'll be doing 100 years from now,

Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 PM

148 posts, read 227,631 times
Every generation must deal with technology. I like Douglas Adams' famous saying, which I'll paraphrase: everything that exists before you were born is just normal, the way things should be. Everything that is invented from your birth until you're about thirty is cool and neat and innovative. And everything invented after you're thirty is "against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it."

Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,365,884 times
Quote:
Imagine what it would be like without the internet, or cell phones. I know that both are very useful but imagine how peaceful life would be. A normal day would be wake up, go to work, come home and check messages on your answering machine, maybe make a call or two, eat dinner, do something constructive, watch a show or two and go to bed. There would be no random calls, or texts throughout the day. Imagine no Facebook! You wouldn't know what a random person was doing at any given time anymore. You would only know what the people that you care about were doing. I would be nice, but its definitely a thing of the past!
I do not have to imagine. I lived almost half my life without either. I first got the Internet in 1979 through the University of Minnesota, when I was 25 years old, and I still do not own a cell phone.

It is not a thing of the past either. If you want to know what I am doing, you have to know me personally, because you will not find it on-line.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,230,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
If it wasn't for my job I wouldn't even bother to be totally honest.
I grew up with no phone in the middle of nowhere and we managed to live just fine...we had relationships, made plans, had friends and everything!
Same here. We got outside and saw the world. Saw and enjoyed. If we wanted to talk with a neighbor, we went to visit the neighbor. Now they text.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,797,927 times
I remember life without internet and cell phones. It was better back in those days. Of course I say that as I type this out on my cell phone. I sometimes wish we could easily go back to those simpler days, but I fear we are far too dependent and way beyond the point of no return for that. It is really kind of sad.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 PM

734 posts, read 1,076,836 times
Nope....I like being able to pay my bills online instead of having to waste a check, having to waste money on stamps, having to drive to the post office to mail the bills. I am not on it much when I am home but I would die if I couldn't get on the internet during the day at work. I wouldn't be able to stay awake!!

I like being able to stream my movies on Netflix. We no longer have any video stores in my town and on demand is $5.00 per movie....there is no way in hell....

I like being able to read the news, celebritiy gossip, I like watching videos and documentaries on youtube....if we ever have an apocalypse and have no more internet, I don't know what I would do. LOL

Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,797,927 times
At least people interacted more back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology