U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 PM

15,757 posts, read 13,180,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Anything that smacks of religion doesn't belong here.

We've seen how threads in S&T denigrate when religion is brought into the picture.

If you want to put it anywhere put it in the unexplained mysteries and paranormal forum.

They love to talk about mystical and unbelievable things there...
It is the central theory behind all of the field of biology the same way atomic theory is for chemistry.

It is fundamental science. Get over it already.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Like I said its just a start and it will revere age down to the cellular level. Living forever is a bridge to a bridge to a bridge.

The first bridge is now and depends on your age. This medicine will help people make it to the second bridge.

The second bridge is the biotech revaluation and will start around 2020. That is when you will see major advances in biology and genetics with things like reverse aging and the ability to turn off the fat gene. During this time life expectancy will be a metric we no longer use as it will be meaningless.

The third bridge is the nanotech revaluation and will begin in the mid to late 2020's. This is when we will begin to merge with computers and by 2030 a computer the size of a blood cell will be thousands of times more powerful then the smart phones today and we will have millions of them in us augmenting our immune system and intelligence. That will effectively end all disease.

The fourth bridge is the ability to back up our brain and that will happen by 2045.
Making things up is decidedly NOT scientific. Stating your wildly unsupported opinion as fact makes you look like a kook.

First, despite the article it does not actually reverse aging which is a biological function comprised of multiple processes. What this compound does do, is improve mitochondrial function. This is a great thing and will help people FEEL younger (which is even what the article said) but does nothing to address slowing of the actual cel cycle, issues with telomeres, and so on.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Making things up is decidedly NOT scientific. Stating your wildly unsupported opinion as fact makes you look like a kook.
Nothing is made up. I got the information from Ray Kurzweil the director of engineering at Google. It will happen Moore's law guarantees it. Now you can say it will not but just like we went from computers that took up entire buildings in the 1960's to Google glass today we will go from that to computers that are the size of blood cells by 2030.

Just to show that I am not making it up I will post a article on the topic of computers getting smaller and faster.

First off: something has to. Disruption is inevitable.

Secondly: The trend is obvious.

Computers have been getting smaller and closer to our faces since their very beginning.

First they were in big rooms, then they sat on desktops, then they sat on our laps, and now they're in our palms. Next they'll be on our faces.

(Eventually they'll be in our brains.)

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-e...#ixzz2yj7kOlLv

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-12-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,831,882 times
Quote:
I understand how it looks and I thought the same thing you did when I first heard it in 2008. The thing is Moore's law guarantees it will happen.

One more thing as optimistic as this sounds I am now reading we could enter the quantum computer age in 2017 and if we do this timetable will be very pessimistic.
Quote:
Nothing is made up. I got the information from Ray Kurzweil the director of engineering at Google. It will happen Moore's law guarantees it. Now you can say it will not but just like we went from computers that took up entire buildings in the 1960's to Google glass today we will go from that to computers that are the size of blood cells by 2030.

Just to show that I am not making it up I will post a article on the topic of computers getting smaller and faster.

Computers have been getting smaller and closer to our faces since their very beginning.

First they were in big rooms, then they sat on desktops, then they sat on our laps, and now they're in our palms. Next they'll be on our faces.

Read more: The End Of The Smartphone Era Is Coming - Business Insider
Physics dictates that Moore's Law *must* come to an end. Anyone in physics would understand this from their first year. This "law" is not a physical process, it's just a hypothesis or casual observation. The fastest information can travel is at the speed of light. Thus, once computers transmit information at the speed of light, that's the limit, Moore's "Law" comes to an end...

It was just a hypothesis about computer transistors, that now has become widely misinterpreted as how civilization and all technology will grow. It isnt, it's about computing power. And generally accepted too, that it will be coming to an end within the decade.

You seem to relate this hypothesis a lot to the size of a computer. It has nothing to do with size, or how tiny we can make computers. It has to do with how many transistors are on an actual circuit. Circuits come in many sizes.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Physics dictates that Moore's Law *must* come to an end. Anyone in physics would understand this from their first year. This "law" is not a physical process, it's just a hypothesis or casual observation. The fastest information can travel is at the speed of light. Thus, once computers transmit information at the speed of light, that's the limit, Moore's "Law" comes to an end...

It was just a hypothesis about computer transistors, that now has become widely misinterpreted as how civilization and all technology will grow. It isnt, it's about computing power. And generally accepted too, that it will be coming to an end within the decade.

You seem to relate this hypothesis a lot to the size of a computer. It has nothing to do with size, or how tiny we can make computers. It has to do with how many transistors are on an actual circuit. Circuits come in many sizes.
Moore's law will NOT come to a end in a decade. However instead of me arguing it I will let Ray Kurzweil:

Here is a link to a a paper that talks about the new paradigm, 3D self organizing molecular circuits.

March 16, 2010 -- The features on computer chips are getting so small that soon the process used to make them, which has hardly changed in the last 50 years, won’t work anymore. One of the alternatives that academic researchers have been exploring is to create tiny circuits using molecules that automatically arrange themselves into useful patterns. In a paper that appeared Monday in Nature Nanotechnology, MIT researchers have taken an important step toward making that approach practical.

The link: EDACafe - googletag.pubads().definePassback('/4250/MCADCafe/EDACafe', [300, 250]).display();

Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Read more: The End Of The Smartphone Era Is Coming - Business Insider
Parroting someone else does not make it any more factual. Ray's ideas are conjecture, not facts, no predictions are factual. This is fundamental to the way science works, and more importantly how it presents information.

These things MAY come to pass, they MAY NOT. You might even state that in your belief they are very likely to come to pass but anyone who does not acknowledge that there is a possibility they are wrong does not belong in science or discussions of it.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post

THANK YOU!!!

Moore's Law is right there with the First Law of Thermodynamics to be misapplied to any given debate.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Parroting someone else does not make it any more factual. Ray's ideas are conjecture, not facts, no predictions are factual. This is fundamental to the way science works, and more importantly how it presents information.

These things MAY come to pass, they MAY NOT. You might even state that in your belief they are very likely to come to pass but anyone who does not acknowledge that there is a possibility they are wrong does not belong in science or discussions of it.
It may look that way and when I first heard Ray Kurzweil talk about it in 2008 my first thought was "what in the heck (well not heck lol) is he talking about?" However I have been around computers my entire life. Even when I was a kid in the 1970's my dads company had a main frame computer that worked with other companies as well so I can remember them even before I was 5. While that is common today for kids to be around computers before the age of 5 that was not common back in the mid 1970's. My point is I knew of terms like Moore's law my entire life and how computers advanced exponentially and even knew the gaming industry used them since the 1980's to figure out when to release there game, predicting the future. Back in the 1980's I can remember hearing critics of Moore's law saying how it would end in 10 years that it can't be held and I did not know better so I can remember thinking make sense. Yet Moore's law did not end. Now in 2014 technology is advancing faster then ever and yet there are critics saying the same thing "Moore's law can not last and will end in 10 years". No it won't it will continue for decades to come the only thing that will end is the integrated circuit then we will just move to the next paradigm 3D self organizing molecular circuits. Then just like computers went from the large main frame computers that took up a entire room when I was 5 (it was called the computer room) to Google glass today they will go from Google glass to computers the size of blood cells with thousands of times more processing capability then Google glass by 2030. There is no "if" there is no "may or may not" it WILL happen. Its no more predicting the future then the gaming industry and program industry has done for years it's just long term projections of what people have done in the short term. Plus its not predicting the future as I do not know what life will be like in 2030 I just know what the progression of information technology will be like.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-13-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
It may look that way and when I first heard Ray Kurzweil talk about it in 2008 my first thought was "what in the heck (well not heck lol) is he talking about?" However I have been around computers my entire life. Even when I was a kid in the 1970's my dads company had a main frame computer that worked with other companies as well so I can remember them even before I was 5. While that is common today for kids to be around computers before the age of 5 that was not common back in the mid 1970's. My point is I knew of terms like Moore's law my entire life and how computers advanced exponentially and even knew the gaming industry used them since the 1980's to figure out when to release there game, predicting the future. Back in the 1980's I can remember hearing critics of Moore's law saying how it would end in 10 years that it can't be held and I did not know better so I can remember thinking make sense. Yet Moore's law did not end. Now in 2014 technology is advancing faster then ever and yet there are critics saying the same thing "Moore's law can not last and will end in 10 years". No it won't it will continue for decades to come the only thing that will end is the integrated circuit then we will just move to the next paradigm 3D self organizing molecular circuits. Then just like computers went from the large main frame computers that took up a entire room when I was 5 (it was called the computer room) to Google glass today they will go from Google glass to computers the size of blood cells with thousands of times more processing capability then Google glass by 2030. There is no "if" there is no "may or may not" it WILL happen. Its no more predicting the future then the gaming industry and program industry has done for years it's just long term projections of what people have done in the short term. Plus its not predicting the future as I do not know what life will be like in 2030 I just know what the progression of information technology will be like.
No you don't know what the progression of IT will be, you have an educated guess. That is it.

And I couldn't careless about your home computer whatever. I have a graduate degree in biology, based on your little anecdote that would make me more of an authority than you about integrating a chip into the brain on a biological level.

Look, you do not seem to grasp the fundamentals of science, which includes the very important idea of not overstating level of confidence. You do that in every post, and it makes you have zero credibility. Want people to take you seriously when you are a parrot for Ray? Then don't endlessly overstate things.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No you don't know what the progression of IT will be, you have an educated guess. That is it.

And I couldn't careless about your home computer whatever. I have a graduate degree in biology, based on your little anecdote that would make me more of an authority than you about integrating a chip into the brain on a biological level.

Look, you do not seem to grasp the fundamentals of science, which includes the very important idea of not overstating level of confidence. You do that in every post, and it makes you have zero credibility. Want people to take you seriously when you are a parrot for Ray? Then don't endlessly overstate things.
Posting about the main frame in the 1970's was to give a example so people can see where I am coming from. I mean if you told people back then we would have Google Glass today I am sure they would have the same reaction as when I tell people today we will have computers the size of blood cells by 2030 with thousands of times more processing capability then Google Glass today. Yet just like we have Google Glass today we will have those computers by 2030.

So ya I know it will happen, unless something like a meteoroid hits the planet, so I am not going to post something I do not believe, like say it might happen or there is a chance Moore's law will break down, just to make people like you happy. Plus I know how it sounds and yes I am not computer expert but I know enough to know how Moore's law works to say with confidence it will not come to a end before 2030 even 2045. After that I am not sure as all the models break down. I am not saying it will come to a end I am just saying its really impossible to know. I have seen theories on different possibilities. I figure I will worry about the singularity first then worry about what happens after.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-13-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or