U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times

Advertisements

Plus, and this is where I will be less certain, but I keep reading where we will enter the quantum computer age by 2017. If so, and if is the key word, then all the projections I have seen or heard will be pessimistic as quantum computers will be that much faster then traditional computers and they will advance exponentially as well but a much steeper exponential curve.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,831,882 times
Every time you reply, Josseppie, you reply to part of a post, ignoring the entire other part of the post that makes this entire discussion irrelevant. Your wrong, flat out plain and simple. The law is not a law, it will not continue forever, and you are completely incorrect with nearly everything you've written. It's great that you've "heard it" fom a "reliable source" or you've "seen YouTube videos" on it. But alas, you take parts of things and inject them into a fantasy where you are plain and simply wrong and try to look right.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Every time you reply, Josseppie, you reply to part of a post, ignoring the entire other part of the post that makes this entire discussion irrelevant. Your wrong, flat out plain and simple. The law is not a law, it will not continue forever, and you are completely incorrect with nearly everything you've written. It's great that you've "heard it" fom a "reliable source" or you've "seen YouTube videos" on it. But alas, you take parts of things and inject them into a fantasy where you are plain and simply wrong and try to look right.
Technically you are correct Moore's law will come to a end in the 2020's as the integrated circuit reaches about 5nm. However that will not be the end of computers advancing exponentially as we will just move to the next paradigm the 3D self organizing molecular circuit. This is not the first time this has happened. In the 1950's we had the vacuum tube then finally they got to a point they could not make the vacuum tube any smaller and keep the vacuum so that was the end of the vacuum tube but not the end of computers advancing exponentially we just went to the next paradigm the transistor then the integrated circuit. However I argue that definitions change over time and today when people think of Moore's law they think of computers advancing exponentially not specifically the integrated circuit why I say Moore's law will not come to a end.

Here is a map of the different paradigms computers have gone thorough since the first modern computer was built in 1890.

Two things to notice:

1) This is a logarithmic graph meaning computers are advancing exponentially.

2) The graph itself is curving up meaning the rate at which computers are advancing is, also, going faster.

The link: Ask Ray | The future of Moore

Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Well this is one of the better examples of thread hijackings that I've seen in a very long time.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,831,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well this is one of the better examples of thread hijackings that I've seen in a very long time.
There just wasnt much evolution to talk about.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
There just wasnt much evolution to talk about.
Well its still about evolution just the 21st century version.

This little video talks about it:

Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,293,306 times
Sigh ...
Since the thread's been hijacked and since the sub forum won't happen (sorry folks), I'm closing this.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or