Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The first drug to reverse age is going into clinical trials next year. My goal is to take it by the time I turn 45. This will not be the last one either as its just the start.
What's the name of it?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
What's the name of it?
Australian and US researchers hope an anti-ageing compound could be trialled on humans as early as next year, following a key breakthrough that saw the ageing process reversed in mice.

The study, involving Harvard University and the University of NSW, discovered a way of restoring the efficiency of cells, completely reversing the ageing process in muscles.

Two-year-old mice were given a compound over a week, moving back the key indicators of ageing to that of a six-month-old mouse. Researchers said this was the equivalent of making a 60-year-old person feel like a 20-year-old.

The link: Anti-ageing compound set for human trials after turning clock back for mice | Science | theguardian.com

Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Australian and US researchers hope an anti-ageing compound could be trialled on humans as early as next year, following a key breakthrough that saw the ageing process reversed in mice.

The study, involving Harvard University and the University of NSW, discovered a way of restoring the efficiency of cells, completely reversing the ageing process in muscles.

Two-year-old mice were given a compound over a week, moving back the key indicators of ageing to that of a six-month-old mouse. Researchers said this was the equivalent of making a 60-year-old person feel like a 20-year-old.

The link: Anti-ageing compound set for human trials after turning clock back for mice | Science | theguardian.com
Yea, thats not going to help anyone. Does nothing to extend life. Nada. Zip.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yea, thats not going to help anyone. Does nothing to extend life. Nada. Zip.
Like I said its just a start and it will revere age down to the cellular level. Living forever is a bridge to a bridge to a bridge.

The first bridge is now and depends on your age. This medicine will help people make it to the second bridge.

The second bridge is the biotech revaluation and will start around 2020. That is when you will see major advances in biology and genetics with things like reverse aging and the ability to turn off the fat gene. During this time life expectancy will be a metric we no longer use as it will be meaningless.

The third bridge is the nanotech revaluation and will begin in the mid to late 2020's. This is when we will begin to merge with computers and by 2030 a computer the size of a blood cell will be thousands of times more powerful then the smart phones today and we will have millions of them in us augmenting our immune system and intelligence. That will effectively end all disease.

The fourth bridge is the ability to back up our brain and that will happen by 2045.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-12-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Like I said its just a start and it will revere age down to the cellular level. Living forever is a bridge to a bridge to a bridge.

The first bridge is now and depends on your age. This medicine will help people make it to the second bridge.

The second bridge is the biotech revaluation and will start around 2020. That is when you will see major advances in biology and genetics with things like reverse aging and the ability to turn off the fat gene. During this time life expectancy will be a metric we no longer use as it will be meaningless.

The third bridge is the nanotech revaluation and will begin in the mid to late 2020's. This is when we will begin to merge with computers and by 2030 a computer the size of a blood cell will be thousands of times more powerful then the smart phones today and we will have millions of them in us augmenting our immune system and intelligence. That will effectively end all disease.

The fourth bridge is the ability to back up our brain and that will happen by 2045.
I applaud your imagination. I will re-visit this thread in 2020.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I applaud your imagination. I will re-visit this thread in 2020.
I understand how it looks and I thought the same thing you did when I first heard it in 2008. The thing is Moore's law guarantees it will happen.

One more thing as optimistic as this sounds I am now reading we could enter the quantum computer age in 2017 and if we do this timetable will be very pessimistic.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:19 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
I understand how it looks and I thought the same thing you did when I first heard it in 2008. The thing is Moore's law guarantees it will happen.

One more thing as optimistic as this sounds I am now reading we could enter the quantum computer age in 2017 and if we do this timetable will be very pessimistic.
Moore's Law is a goal, not a guarantee.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Moore's Law is a goal, not a guarantee.
Its no goal its a guarantee. In fact computers have been advancing exponentially since the first modern computer was built in 1890 decades before Gordon Moore was born.

Think about it this way. I am sure if you told people in 1964 we would have smart phones today with thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA they would of laughed. Yet we have it and have had it since 2005 and now we are getting things like Google glass and Meta glasses etc.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-12-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Its no goal its a guarantee. In fact computers have been advancing exponentially since the first modern computer was built in 1890 decades before Gordon Moore was born.

Think about it this way. I am sure if you told people in 1964 we would have smart phones today with thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA they would of laughed. Yet we have it and have had it since 2005 and now we are getting things like Google glass and Meta glasses etc.
Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As they say in investment ads, past performance is no guarantee of future results. Moore's law was an observation that has become a target, but everyone knows it will taper off at some point. At some point you reach the Bekenstein bound.

So saying something will happen because it fits with Moore's law may be a good guess, but it's not a physical law in the same way something like the conservation of momentum is.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As they say in investment ads, past performance is no guarantee of future results. Moore's law was an observation that has become a target, but everyone knows it will taper off at some point. At some point you reach the Bekenstein bound.

So saying something will happen because it fits with Moore's law may be a good guess, but it's not a physical law in the same way something like the conservation of momentum is.
Investment is not information technology thus is not 100% predictable.

Computers have been advancing for over 110 years exponentially and they show no signs of stopping now. If anything it shows signs of speeding up thanks to quantum computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology