U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
There are many limits on our ability to adapt and evolve. How far we can go is too dependent on many factors beyond our understanding imo.
There is no limit. New technology comes and people get use to it pretty fast. Just look at smart phones and even google glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,909,081 times
We get smarter every day, but I can see us developing a technology that renders us obsolete. I'm not suggesting that it will destroy us, but that we continue to make our lives easier, causing real jobs to be lost.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
We get smarter every day, but I can see us developing a technology that renders us obsolete. I'm not suggesting that it will destroy us, but that we continue to make our lives easier, causing real jobs to be lost.
Merging with computers could help solve this problem in the long run.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,909,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Merging with computers could help solve this problem in the long run.
That could help my back pain.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
I remember writing a letter to my Dad, when I was 35, and he had asked about retirement savings. I said "surely, 30 years from now (2003), society will have found a way to ensure a decent lifestyle for all retirees. Well, how are we doing so far? In my state, the prevailing political thought is to abolish completely the way society has found to do that. I hope humanity doesn't get any more "advanced".

Societies advance by improving the lives of the lowest of them, not the highest.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I remember writing a letter to my Dad, when I was 35, and he had asked about retirement savings. I said "surely, 30 years from now (2003), society will have found a way to ensure a decent lifestyle for all retirees. Well, how are we doing so far? In my state, the prevailing political thought is to abolish completely the way society has found to do that. I hope humanity doesn't get any more "advanced".

Societies advance by improving the lives of the lowest of them, not the highest.
We are actually on the way of never having to retire. At least in the sense we think of retirement. This will be the outcome of society becoming more advanced in the next 15-30 years.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 PM

13,154 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Quote:
We are actually on the way of never having to retire. At least in the sense we think of retirement. This will be the outcome of society becoming more advanced in the next 15-30 years.
You are so optimistic about tomorrow. Almost every day, in my local newspaper, I read stories of copper theft. I know that many feel that agriculture will turn to robotics in the next ten years. Of course that would eliminate the jobs of the immigrants that currently work in our fields and orchards. Nobody in Congress is seriously working on any kind of base or basic pay legislation. Where do you think all of this money to support the masses will come from? If I was destitute; your walking 100 pounds of scrap metal would look pretty inviting!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Quote:
What we are on the way to having a large part of your population never having had a job to retire from, living in cities that are crumbling from within and without. Frankly, climate change aside, when some people talk about a dystopian future they seem to conjure up visions of "The Book of Eli" or "Road Warrier." My dystopian future looks more like "Elysium" a world established by the corporations for the corporations with use excess humans living in ramshackle enclaves out of sight and out of mind of their betters.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What we are on the way to having a large part of your population never having had a job to retire from,
15-30 years from now? Everybody who will be anywhere near 65 years old 15-30 years from now have already been working most of their life.

I remember WWII, and I might very well be alive in 2030. What about me? Will I still be retired?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You are so optimistic about tomorrow. Almost every day, in my local newspaper, I read stories of copper theft. I know that many feel that agriculture will turn to robotics in the next ten years. Of course that would eliminate the jobs of the immigrants that currently work in our fields and orchards. Nobody in Congress is seriously working on any kind of base or basic pay legislation. Where do you think all of this money to support the masses will come from? If I was destitute; your walking 100 pounds of scrap metal would look pretty inviting!
I am not saying we do not have challenges to meet as we do. I am just confident that as they come up society will solve them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or