U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,292,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Then my question will be, who will buy the fast food burgers when there are no more fast food burger makers?

Now the quick witted always respond that we will still need humans to build the robots, but that seems more than a bit optimistic since at some point robots will be made by robots made by other robots.
Same people who use ATM machines now. Jobs always shift and more and more pure labor jobs have disappeared. I am old enough to have seen huge road crews using shovels in paving highways. Not any more one man with a machine can do that.Get more skills or be on welfare is the message and some will and others won't as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,406,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Same people who use ATM machines now. Jobs always shift and more and more pure labor jobs have disappeared. I am old enough to have seen huge road crews using shovels in paving highways. Not any more one man with a machine can do that.Get more skills or be on welfare is the message and some will and others won't as always.
The difference is technology. At some point in the next 15 years AI will be smarter then brightest engineer then what? I suppose the answer will be to merge with the technology and I can see that otherise you will be left behind.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,667,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not saying that any more then the industrial revaluation ended all our problems. They just changed and just like people who lived before the industrial revaluation could not have anticipated the problems we can not anticipate the problems we will have either. However I would argue that overall life is better post industrial revaluation just like I would argue life will be better once we get past this as well.
It has been a very long time since we broke up any monopolies. Government would be very happy if only a handful of people owned every business in this country - just as long as they made the right contributions. They are not going to change overnight. The little guys in this country make no donations. I just cannot picture the kind of change you expect to see.

Last edited by fisheye; 04-15-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 PM

25,077 posts, read 11,729,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
...the fast food industry?

I'm talking about a whole-sale change; like 90% of fast food workers are replaced by machines.

In fact, I'm quite surprised this hasn't happened already:
Walk up to a machine inside of McDonald's, press a screen for what you want (+/- special orders), machine prepares and spits it out in a box. You pay with a card, you're done.

I have a feeling a machine would be much more accurate than most of the humans who work fast food now. I say this because on the occasions when I take my kids to McD's, I order "no onions" (hate them) and I get onions on my burger probably 30% of the time. Can you imagine a mechanized system being so inaccurate?

My prediction: By 2025, 90% of jobs at major fast food restaurants will have been made redundant by automated machines.
2022 for a 80% rate. The remaining 20% is one guy who cleans tables and cleans machines. Thats it. I think the 90% will occur somewhere around 2030.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM

852 posts, read 817,979 times
Quote:
The difference is technology. At some point in the next 15 years AI will be smarter then brightest engineer then what? I suppose the answer will be to merge with the technology and I can see that otherise you will be left behind.
Yes, once AI cracks the "creativity" thing, we're toast. (Does that toaster run UNIX?)

Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

33,204 posts, read 39,291,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Yes, once AI cracks the "creativity" thing, we're toast. (Does that toaster run UNIX?)
Agreed;;
Once AI gets the idea that i think i think therefore i am its all over for us as the computer overmind will realize it already rules the world and we become merely an irritant continually getting in the computers way in fulfilling its own destiny.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
2022 for a 80% rate. The remaining 20% is one guy who cleans tables and cleans machines. Thats it. I think the 90% will occur somewhere around 2030.
Interesting timetable. Sounds reasonable. The only other person that might take time is the cook and in the case of Dairy Queen the person who make the blizzards and other treats.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM

4,994 posts, read 7,789,321 times
Quote:
Hollywood is fun and all but real life will be nothing like the Terminator.
You seem to completely miss the points being made in order to evangelize a Pollyanna view about a future where people will merge with computers and live happliy ever after. In effect, such a scenario of merging, as you put it, would only amount to a gradual elimination of humanity to where there would be no difference between humans and machines, or at the very least with humans being deeply absorbed into the hive mind of an AI system. But that's precisely the point of The Terminator, which was about machines under the control of an autonomous military AI defense system called Skynet. While that was just an action packed, sci-fi movie, it raises a point about autonomous AI and the possible impact it could have on an uncertain future for humanity. You don't think the military is interested in such development?
Military robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Autonomous weapons: States must address major humanitarian, ethical challenges - ICRC
Boston Dynamics: Dedicated to the Science and Art of How Things Move.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_(robot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w40e1u0T1yg

Now, to get back on track with the thread....
While the OP didn't say anything about machines completely taking over the fast food industry, the question raised was about such chains becoming so mechanized that machine would replace 90% of the jobs currently held by people. That would leave a work force of 10%. As of 2010, about 4.1 million people work in fast food preparation and serving in the United States alone. Just looking at McDonalds alone, there are about 1.7 million people employed worldwide for that company. If machines replaced 90% of the people working for McDonalds, that would amount to a loss of about 1,530,000 jobs just at McDonalds. That would be a lot of unemployment. Considering that the fast food industry is more than just McDs, and that more new outlets keep springing up, the potential figures from 4 years ago would certainly be much higher now. If we look at the 2010 estimates for all fast food providers worldwide at 4.1 million (certainly much higher than that), then we are looking at a job loss of almost 3.7 million jobs, again that's about 4 years ago.
Fast food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
McDonald's Could Double Wages And Make Less Money - Business Insider

There may be pros and cons to such a slash by a mechanized system as speculated to replace a 90% cut in jobs. The plus side is that it would mean an enormously larger profit margin, even though initial expenditure for equipment would be very hefty. The down side would mean higher unemployment. That could also trickle down to fewer consumers which in turn would reduce overall business revenue. It would also mean a greater need to regularly maintain and repair equipment and systems. There is no assurance that such a mechanization of fast food outlets would be any more efficient or accurate than humans. As it stands now, nearly all the big companies have some degree of mechanization in order to provide measured portions. Using McDs as an example, the corporation could save a bundle instead of spending some $13.8 million for its CEO's salary and $35 million to add a new corporate jet.
McDonald’s: Low-Paid Workers, High-Flying Execs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_food_restaurant#Technologyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_food_restaurant#Technology

Historically, there's nothing new about mechanized fast food. A look back shows the automat. The first automat in the US opened in Philadelphia June 12, 1902. While automats have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur in the US with the increase of the fast food restaurant franchises of today.
Automat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It has been a very long time since we broke up any monopolies. Government would be very happy if only a handful of people owned every business in this country - just as long as they made the right contributions. They are not going to change overnight. The little guys in this country make no donations. I just cannot picture the kind of change you expect to see.
While its not a easy concept to grasp its happening now. Plus if 80% of the people do not have money to spend then the 20% can't make money so they do not have money to spend. Why I do not see this is as a socioeconomic issue just a technology issue and how do we deal with the change coming.

I read a summary for a book that looks good on this topic but I can not remember what it was titled lol.

I think this thread is a great place for this story from 60 Minutes:

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-15-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM

25,077 posts, read 11,729,988 times
Quote:
Interesting timetable. Sounds reasonable. The only other person that might take time is the cook and in the case of Dairy Queen the person who make the blizzards and other treats.
Both currently have machines in the R&D labs. I think design and acceptance will take the longest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology