U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,304,459 times

Advertisements

...the fast food industry?

I'm talking about a whole-sale change; like 90% of fast food workers are replaced by machines.

In fact, I'm quite surprised this hasn't happened already:
Walk up to a machine inside of McDonald's, press a screen for what you want (+/- special orders), machine prepares and spits it out in a box. You pay with a card, you're done.

I have a feeling a machine would be much more accurate than most of the humans who work fast food now. I say this because on the occasions when I take my kids to McD's, I order "no onions" (hate them) and I get onions on my burger probably 30% of the time. Can you imagine a mechanized system being so inaccurate?

My prediction: By 2025, 90% of jobs at major fast food restaurants will have been made redundant by automated machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Then my question will be, who will buy the fast food burgers when there are no more fast food burger makers?

Now the quick witted always respond that we will still need humans to build the robots, but that seems more than a bit optimistic since at some point robots will be made by robots made by other robots.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Somewhat surprisingly, the primary issue is actually one of cleanliness. As equipment gets more complex, the dangers of bacteria and mold increase tremendously. When I went into a location and informed staff that soft drink mixer nozzles had to be removed and cleaned daily, they sometimes balked - often while holding their free cup of Coke in one hand. I would then remove a random nozzle in front of them and point out the mold that had been in direct contact with the drink they were now drinking. Their faces would blanch and I would never hear another peep of complaint at the task.

General Cinema used to have "after hours" soda dispensers that accepted coinage and mixed a soft drink and served it in a paper cup. The first time I opened one of them to check the syrup levels I just about gagged. Automated machinery gets filthy dirty and becomes a haven for roaches.

Automated food machinery is certainly possible and there is some in use, but making it safe and sanitary while still functional is difficult.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
It is happening and on a faster rate. In fact technology is going to replace most if not all jobs in the next few decades. That is why I support something called basic pay for all so the economy will not collapse as we transition to a world without workers.

Bill Gates actually talked about this issue recently. Here is the article on it:

Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates isn’t going to sugarcoat things: The increasing power of automation technology is going to put a lot of people out of work. Business Insider reports that Gates gave a talk at the American Enterprise Institute think tank in Washington, DC this week and said that both governments and businesses need to start preparing for a future where lots of people will be put out of work by software and robots.

“Software substitution, whether it’s for drivers or waiters or nurses… it’s progressing,” Gates said. “Technology over time will reduce demand for jobs, particularly at the lower end of skill set… 20 years from now, labor demand for lots of skill sets will be substantially lower. I don’t think people have that in their mental model.”

The link: Bill Gates interview: Robots will take people’s jobs | BGR

Old 04-14-2014, 03:31 PM

4,987 posts, read 7,764,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It is happening and on a faster rate. In fact technology is going to replace most if not all jobs in the next few decades. That is why I support something called basic pay for all so the economy will not collapse as we transition to a world without workers.
So if technology is going to replace most, if not all jobs in the next few decades as you envision, then what need would there be for "basic pay", or any pay, since money as well as trade would be worthless?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
So if technology is going to replace most, if not all jobs in the next few decades as you envision, then what need would there be for "basic pay", or any pay, since money as well as trade would be worthless?
Let me start off by saying I could be wrong here and I am not trying to act like I have all the answers, for once.

My concern is not what happens after we get to that point as I think you are correct we will not have money and the economy will be completely different. My concern is the transition. It will take sometime, even if its just 10-30 years, and from what I have read basic pay for everyone seems to be the best solution. That way the economy does not collapse because if it does then even the 1% who have jobs would be lost.

Edit: I suppose once we begin to merge with computers we will be able to keep up with AI so that could be a solution as well.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 PM

4,987 posts, read 7,764,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Edit: I suppose once we begin to merge with computers we will be able to keep up with AI so that could be a solution as well.
So then humans would be dominated and ruled by AI and freedom would no longer exist. Sounds a bit like a Terminator scenario to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,856,733 times
Hopefully within the next century... Fast food made by machines will be more uniform than that made by humans...

Does anyone else feel some posters here sound like

Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,831,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hopefully within the next century... Fast food made by machines will be more uniform than that made by humans...

Does anyone else feel some posters here sound like

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
So then humans would be dominated and ruled by AI and freedom would no longer exist. Sounds a bit like a Terminator scenario to me.
Hollywood is fun and all but real life will be nothing like the Terminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology