U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,269,521 times

Advertisements

Paraphrasing an oceanographer talking about the search for the Malaysian airliners. Of course I've heard this stated in one form or another before but it is ironic that while we clamor to colonize the Moon or Mars we still have two-thirds of our own planet left to be explored.

Time for a Sea Race? Surely it can't cost as much as space exploration and would reveal far more practical applications (by the way, I am in no way opposed to space exploration or feel that it is a guns vs butter issue).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM

29,861 posts, read 47,825,718 times
A large portion of my working career was mapping the gravity vortexes of the ocean floors.

There is a huge amount of area to be mapped and things move.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,968,458 times
It's a heck of a lot easier to map the Moon than it is to map the ocean floor...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM

15,897 posts, read 13,336,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Paraphrasing an oceanographer talking about the search for the Malaysian airliners. Of course I've heard this stated in one form or another before but it is ironic that while we clamor to colonize the Moon or Mars we still have two-thirds of our own planet left to be explored.

Time for a Sea Race? Surely it can't cost as much as space exploration and would reveal far more practical applications (by the way, I am in no way opposed to space exploration or feel that it is a guns vs butter issue).
Of course it costs more than exploring space. Space is vastly more hospitable than the deep sea. The pressure alone at the bottom of the sea adds exponential cost to engineering anything to visit the abyssal or hadal zones.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,269,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Of course it costs more than exploring space. Space is vastly more hospitable than the deep sea. The pressure alone at the bottom of the sea adds exponential cost to engineering anything to visit the abyssal or hadal zones.
Hmmm.

The Deepsea Challenger that James Cameron built and used to explore the Mariana Trench, at a depth of 35,787 feet cost $10 million. Now remind me of the cost of one space shuttle? As for the inhospitably of the oceans, as compared to outer space, what outside of water pressure is greater than radiation, collisions with space debris, the effects of weightless on muscle and bone atrophy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or