U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,064,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
All right. It worked and they both are polarized. The Ray Bans I know are but wanted to confirm the other.

Then I remembered a pair of cheap $10 clip on/flip ups that I had stashed away. I never wear them any more and certainly did not think they would be polarized, especially since they have a terrible glare to them. The lens has "UVue Polar" on it which, to me, was not even a guarantee of UVA and UVB protection. Anyway, I tested those and they also went dark. Not as dark as the others but certainly dark. Does that make sense?
Some materials have weaker polarization, which is why they don't go completely dark when you overlap them.

Polarization is no guarantee of UV protection. If they're cheap, they probably don't protect from UV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Some materials have weaker polarization, which is why they don't go completely dark when you overlap them.

Polarization is no guarantee of UV protection. If they're cheap, they probably don't protect from UV.
Quite right. That's why the label isn't spelled UV. I showed them to my optometrist and she said pretty much what you said. Said they were fine for a fast trip to the trash dumpster or such but not for long journeys outdoors. I liked them because they just flipped up when you went into a store and needed to read something on a label or such. No one makes them in the better glasses.

With the new Ray Bans, I can certainly see the difference. No glare, no reflection, true polaroid and 100% UVA and UVB protection. Exactly what I needed. Only problem - which I'll live with - is the frames being too large. We are in a "one size fits all" age.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Oh for pete's sake….its POLARIZED not "polaroid". One is a term referring to rotating light so it has pole (like the north pole) and the other is a brand name of a camera that hasn't been popular for 20 years.

Badly polarized glasses, which includes most plastic lenses, can give many people eyestrain headaches. Ray bans (if there are the real ones) are fine, but if you are suffering from headaches after wearing them, I would switch to Oakleys or another performance based brand.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,931,746 times
The polaroid lense is in beta. It is designed to work with Google Glass and lets you capture what you see in print.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The polaroid lense is in beta. It is designed to work with Google Glass and lets you capture what you see in print.
Thank you. Sorry for the mis-use. Life is full of such.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Quite right. That's why the label isn't spelled UV. I showed them to my optometrist and she said pretty much what you said. Said they were fine for a fast trip to the trash dumpster or such but not for long journeys outdoors. I liked them because they just flipped up when you went into a store and needed to read something on a label or such. No one makes them in the better glasses.

With the new Ray Bans, I can certainly see the difference. No glare, no reflection, true polaroid and 100% UVA and UVB protection. Exactly what I needed. Only problem - which I'll live with - is the frames being too large. We are in a "one size fits all" age.
If your shades aren't UV, I wouldn't even use them for a short time. When you create shade, it opens up your pupil more to let more UV in. There is no way to real measure the difference in damage it may cause and maybe all of the fear marketing has just gotten to me, but you only have one pair of eyes. Your optometrist probably has a machine where you can put your glasses to test for UV absorption.

I don't know what you mean by flip up, are these clips that you can put on prescription glasses? If they are, you can have the UV coat on your clear lenses. The glare and reflection is a function of the quality of the lenses. On clear lenses you can have a antireflective coat that makes things reflect in a kind of purple tint, to the other extreme when people buy Oakley with a red mirror reflective lens. People don't usually know that glass frames to come in different sizes, if your optometrist isn't a costco, you can ask them to order a different size.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
If your shades aren't UV, I wouldn't even use them for a short time. When you create shade, it opens up your pupil more to let more UV in. There is no way to real measure the difference in damage it may cause and maybe all of the fear marketing has just gotten to me, but you only have one pair of eyes. Your optometrist probably has a machine where you can put your glasses to test for UV absorption.

I don't know what you mean by flip up, are these clips that you can put on prescription glasses? If they are, you can have the UV coat on your clear lenses. The glare and reflection is a function of the quality of the lenses. On clear lenses you can have a antireflective coat that makes things reflect in a kind of purple tint, to the other extreme when people buy Oakley with a red mirror reflective lens. People don't usually know that glass frames to come in different sizes, if your optometrist isn't a costco, you can ask them to order a different size.
"Flip-ups" is my term for them. I don't know what the makers call them. They have a pair of clamps attached to a lever at the nose bridge which you open and slip the glasses down over your regular glasses. The clamps slide down over the lenses close to the nose edge. So, no interference in vision there.

If you go into a store or some such place and need to see without their interference, you can simply lift the lenses upward, leaving them clipped on instead of having to completely remove and replace them. Very handy. I keep hoping that some day some genius will figure out how to do it with good sun glasses. So far there are only these little cheap things which, as you say, are quite useless for protecting the eyes.

As for my using them - no longer since I got my Ray Bans. I just keep those handy at the door and switch glasses. I can really feel the relaxation in my eyes with a good pair of polarized, UVA/UVB glasses. I knew there was a big difference but never realized how big. Some times I almost want them on indoors also.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Have you ever tried transitional lenses? My favorite pair of glasses lense is a line called Driveware. Color makes a huge difference. I like these over the standard grey dark lenses. Sometimes I accidental end up wearing them indoors too.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Have you ever tried transitional lenses? My favorite pair of glasses lense is a line called Driveware. Color makes a huge difference. I like these over the standard grey dark lenses. Sometimes I accidental end up wearing them indoors too.

I am told that does not work well with trifocals. No matter. I like what I have now other than the nuisance of having to switch back and forth and that isn't often. Can't really read with them, of course, but that isn't why I bought them. No problem there.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,064,045 times
Quote:

There are good flip up sunglasses. Cocoons is a good brand, or at least it was the last time I checked
Cocoons® Polarized Flip-Up Sunglasses : Cabela's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology